Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pissed about cam only problem!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 11:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pissed about cam only problem!

As some of you know my engine took a dump due to a oil pump seal problem. I am replacing the whole engine with a new stock 02 LS1 and swapping the T-Rex , push rods, springs, retainers into it.

I also am planning on replacing the rod bolts with ARPs and possibly flycutting the pistons on the new engine because of the valve markings on my 2000 pistons (could be due to the spun bearings and messed up crank) just want to make sure there won't be any p/v clearance problems.

Now that I have already bought the engine and rod bolts it has been brought to my attention by a couple of people that they don't think my car should be concidered cam only anymore because it's not the engine that came in the car, adding rod bolts, and flycutting.

WTF???? Others on the list have done the same things. My goal of running 10's cam only is going to ****!!!!! If I can't get back on the list then I should have done a stroker
Old 07-08-2005, 11:33 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just put her back together and see what she runs. Who cares what other people think? It only matters what you think!!!! Good luck.

Coach
Old 07-08-2005, 11:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BAIN

because it's not the engine that came in the car, adding rod bolts, and flycutting.

Ever heard of Magnus? His car had no chance of coming with that engine. It's accepted....

I don't know how the "God's" feel about flycutting, but who cares that the engine didn't come ith the car?
Old 07-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Go to an NHRA event, tell them you wanna run the cam only class.. they will scratch their heads and look at you funny..... it's a silly internet/ls1 thing, do what you gotta do to get the car running, noone cares if the engine came in the car or even what year it is, surprised anyone even cares if it's a 5.7 really at this point.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:30 AM
10 Second Club

I am doing it for my own personal satisfaction, but it is also nice to have your name on a list for recognition. It's kinda nice when people recognize your name from an accomplishment you have achieved

I guess I'm just looking for some positive support as in....."Yes your car will be still considered cam only and you can still be on the list" instead of "who cares just run what you got and don't worry about anyone else."
Old 07-09-2005, 06:44 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, it would be on my list if I had any say...... but unfortunately, I have the power of a terd when it comes to internet stuff. No reason why it shouldnt' be there, most of the faster cam only cars most likly have rod bolts done, as for the fly cutting.... I really see no reason not to allow it, it'[s not like you HAVE to do it, you just want to for safety reasons. Just use factory head gaskets ( not thinner ones... that someone would cry about ) and what not when you put it back together, and there should be no problems. Hell, even head studs and the like would make no performance gain, probably could use those too.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:33 AM
11 Second Club

Sux when you do stuff to your motor (that gives you no power at all, its just so it will last) and then people say you don't qualify "stock internal" . I mean "cam only".
**** the haters and do it anyways. What are they going to say, "No fair, if you didn't have ARP rod bolts i would have beaten you."
Old 07-10-2005, 05:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

good luck bain you were only a low -DA day away froma high 10 pass before

i think since it is still a stock bottom end it should count.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:40 PM
Launching!

I wouldn't flycut the pistons or change rodbolts just so you can say "stock" and not have it on your conscience, for what that's worth. Flycutting can give you and edge.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm not sure what the rules are about flycutting but that could be problematic as your pistons would no longer be "stock", they would be "modified".

The problem that SUX2BU had was not the fact that he had rod bolts, but the fact that his motor was completely rebuilt. Hard to say how the honing/rings/bearings etc. compare to a factory motor that we all are using.

If your new motor is an untouched motor from the factory, then you should have no problems competing on the list.

My motors valve covers and oil pan came off for the first time when I installed a cam.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Veteran

hey bain, what are you sweating, there are a few cars on that list that have refreshed or thrown together bottom ends, some have flycutting and some have rodbolts, i guess its more of a stock heads, stock rotating assembly list but one way or the other, who is saying you dont qualify, last time i checked i have the finaly say so who goes on the list and i know i havent said you wouldnt qualify.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:32 PM
10 Second Club

I just wanted to make sure it was okay before I did it!!

Thanks
Old 07-10-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont see where flycutting is an advantage? All its gonna do is give you a little less compression.. In my book thats not an advantage.. Just my .02..
Old 07-10-2005, 06:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The advantage is you can run lager duration camshafts with large lifts where as if you have the stock, unmodified pistons you are restricted to a certain duration/lift.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:57 PM
10 Second Club

There is at least 1 person on the list with flycut pistons
We are going to check the p/v clearance to see if it is ok first. If it is fine then I wont. I was worried because when we took the heads off my 2000 engine (after it blew) there were gashes in the pistons from the valves. It may have been a result of the bearing letting go, but we will see.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Magnus
The advantage is you can run lager duration camshafts with large lifts where as if you have the stock, unmodified pistons you are restricted to a certain duration/lift.
Yes, i understand that also, but then you can run a stock eliminator style camshaft that works with stock pistons also . I still say its ok in my book. The next guy can do it also if he wants to try to be king. Its not like it costs 1100-1200 like a fast 90-90 setup.

Phil
Old 07-13-2005, 09:30 PM
10 Second Club

Go for it Richard. I dont see a problem with any of the stuff your wanting to do. As a matter of fact, its already been done by others
Old 07-14-2005, 08:46 AM
10 Second Club

How's it going Donald? I haven't seen you around in a long time. How's the car doing? Are you just laying low, adding/tweeking things on your car and waiting for the cold weather to come back to jump up higher on the list or what?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:06 AM
10 Second Club

I don't see a problem either myself. I recently pulled the heads to change lifters,valve springs and a big custom cam so im riding in the same boat as you. If you look at the corner of the block under the head you can see a slight ear of the 6.0L head gasket sticking out but who cares i just want to see how my car runs and not internet race other people across the country that you have no clue as to what they have changed.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BAIN
How's it going Donald? I haven't seen you around in a long time. How's the car doing? Are you just laying low, adding/tweeking things on your car and waiting for the cold weather to come back to jump up higher on the list or what?
My car has been down for the last couple of months. Found a piece of lifter retaining ring while changing the oil. I put a set of used stock lifters in last time.I knew it was down on power, but I thought the valve springs were going away. Just cant get motivated to go out in the heat and work on it. I did start tearing it down a couple of weeks ago before I went on vacation.

I'm seriously considering putting a new set of lifters in and changing valve springs, and putting it up for sale. I'm thinking about a Chevy 2 hybrid.