Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFCO da shocks vs QA1/Hal da shocks???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AFCO da shocks vs QA1/Hal da shocks???

Why choose AFCO over QA1/Hals if you compare both models that are dual adjustable for compression and rebound? Opinions? Is AFCO a superior shock? TIA.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Hals for the F-body are not Dual Adjustable, they are only single. Also the afco's arnt 6-way or 12-way they dont click into position so they have a million different adjustments.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:15 AM
Coal Mining Director

Hals show a Gen-F double adjustable for rebound and compression on their website. 24 clicks each direction.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hal DA's are new this year
Old 07-18-2005, 08:17 AM
10 Second Club

I have the new Hal’s DA’s, they work awesome on the street at 3/12. I switched from the straight Hal’s F to the DA’s. A huge improvement on the street for both drivability and specially traction.
Only have three passes on them at the track and so far with new best.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:53 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The QA1 DA's are a nice shock. They 'claim' to be truely independent rebound/compression, whereas other brands actually may change compression slightly when you adjust the rebound side. Only 'bad' thing is the 24 clicks on each ****.....too many IMO. Hard to keep track of.

AFCO's have been around for a while longer. Bad thing about them is one adjustment is a **** on the shock body and the other is a small screw on the top of the shock. Hard to access.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:45 PM
I ruin the end of films...

Originally Posted by 1fastWS6
The QA1 DA's are a nice shock. They 'claim' to be truely independent rebound/compression, whereas other brands actually may change compression slightly when you adjust the rebound side. Only 'bad' thing is the 24 clicks on each ****.....too many IMO. Hard to keep track of.

AFCO's have been around for a while longer. Bad thing about them is one adjustment is a **** on the shock body and the other is a small screw on the top of the shock. Hard to access.
The screw on top is for the compression, not much adjustment needed there. Set mine once and that's it. It's also not hard to drill a 1/2" hole in the strut tower.

Even with the cost, I'll take the AFCOs over the HALs on a drag car.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:03 PM
9 Second Club

We have Afcos on a buddies car and it is alittle hard to keep each side the same because there is no clicks to set them by; it is all by feel. LOL

But they made a world of difference on the car over the hal Rs. We have them on a 700rwhp car with a little O 28/11.5/15 Et Street and it is hooking it up very nicely. Each time I adjust them the 60ft keeps coming down. I really like the afco shocks for a full out race operation.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GueSS Who
We have Afcos on a buddies car and it is alittle hard to keep each side the same because there is no clicks to set them by; it is all by feel. LOL

But they made a world of difference on the car over the hal Rs. We have them on a 700rwhp car with a little O 28/11.5/15 Et Street and it is hooking it up very nicely. Each time I adjust them the 60ft keeps coming down. I really like the afco shocks for a full out race operation.
Yup what CJ said, before the afco's with the Hal R's we couldnt get the car to hook consistant. Sometimes it would blow them off at the hit of the throttle, other times it would haze them 100 foot out. What was screwing us is that we could control how fast it would come up, but not down. The hal's were coming down to fast for that little tire, and unloading the rearend, with the afco's we just slowed down how fast it came back down, and viola it made an entire pass without blowing the tires off
Old 07-26-2005, 05:19 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you're trying to compare the DA AFCO's to the R series QA1's which are not a DA shock. I'd bet if you try the QA1 DA shock you'd have similar results as the AFCO's.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have seen many problems with the QA1 shocks leaking. As soon as the leak they are done. The nice thing about the AFCOs is I can get them valved for what I want. I can change the valving for different cars( BBC, SBC LS1 etc.) where as with the qa1 we get one valving and thats all. If you are buying new get the Afcos.

225-343-9029

Quick Reply: AFCO da shocks vs QA1/Hal da shocks???