Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinion Angle Importance

Old 07-18-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pinion Angle Importance

How effective is setting the pinion angle on an adjustable Torque Arm? I have the BMR non-adjustable TA mainly just because it was almost given to me. However, my car is lowered an inch and I believe this could be a problem.

I know the non-adjustable is supposed to be preset for stock ride height, so this is probably going to hurt me right? But how much will it hurt me?

I did install a set of relocation brackets. The car has SFC, LCA, Adj Panhard Rod, BMR K-Member and A-Arms. Only thing stock is the shocks.

I am thinking of doing the BMR Adj TA or the Trak-Pak that bypasses the transmission mount.
This is for a 408ci 6spd SS with 12bolt with possible spray. I am just trying to be prepared for launching all this power. I am not sure if a sticky tire will be enough???? I am thinking MT ET Radial...

ANY SUGGESTIONS HIGHLY APPRECIATED!!!!
Old 07-20-2005, 09:51 PM
Launching!

If the pinion angle is backwards, it could be a problem. Normally the pinion should be pointed down, lower than the driveshaft. Not so sure on these cars but on most link suspensions 2 degrees down is a good starting point. Get you an angle finder and start measuring. I'm thinking everything is gonna need to be pretty dang well setup to get you hooked solidly.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Look in to the new trans. crossmember from BMR. It has its own TA mount. Plus it saves lots of space. The TA mount on the crossmember is adjustable to.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

if your car is lower the angle is screwed up and needs to be adjusted down. You will also need lower controll arm relocation brackets to correct the controll arm angle also. The front of the controll arm(where it meets the body) should be higher than the back(axle side). That will screw with your traction also. I finally figured that out when i noticed my car was an inch lower due to added stereo junk in the back and all my angles were screwed..
Old 07-24-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
if your car is lower the angle is screwed up and needs to be adjusted down. You will also need lower controll arm relocation brackets to correct the controll arm angle also. The front of the controll arm(where it meets the body) should be higher than the back(axle side). That will screw with your traction also. I finally figured that out when i noticed my car was an inch lower due to added stereo junk in the back and all my angles were screwed..
Yeah I have the relocation brackets and I did order an adjustable TA so I should be pretty set...thanks
Old 07-24-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is another reason my 60' times suck, i cant wait to get back to the track and see what my car can really do with the torque arm adjusted right,lower controll arm relocation brackets in and adj front shocks..... hello 12's
Old 07-24-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should be running 12s now without any of that suspension stuff.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe if i didn't have over 120lbs in the back of stereo equiptmen which lowered the car and screwed up the angle of the torque arm/lower controll arms hence worse traction.

Search this Thread