Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is "big gear/big tire" combo better?

Old 07-20-2005, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why is "big gear/big tire" combo better?

I have 4.10's and 26x10.5x15 ET Drags. It should make it down the 1/4 mile seeing as how i'm still just stock internal. With a 96 mph in the 1/8 i'm guessin it will mph around 120 - 122 in the 1/4.
BUT next year when i throw a cam in it it will probably mph close to 130 so i was figuring if i can still hook on the 26's wouldn't it be better to keep the 26's and gear down a little to make it down the 1/4? instead of getting 28's?
I mean a smaller tire takes less power to turn right?
Old 07-20-2005, 06:16 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure on your mph guess, but...

The taller tire is more forgiving at the launch and holds more power. Combine that with a wider option of gearing. The smaller tire requires more suspension, and gear choices are more limited. At least this is my take on it.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Make a 1/4 mile pass.

Your sig:
"Unofficially" the fastest SI car in the world

Is completely pointless since you don't even have 1/4 mile numbers.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not this **** again.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnus
Make a 1/4 mile pass.

Your sig:

Old 07-20-2005, 07:30 PM
TECH Veteran

You run a bigger tire to help get traction and be more consistant, then you put in the proper gear that you combo needs to maker sure you turn the proper rpms you need to get the most power during the run, and so you are turning the proper rpms through the traps.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 26 tire is to small. On the other side most of the guys here are OVER tired. You dont need a massive tire and a lot of gear to run. A 28 tire and the right gear will be the most consistent and will work the best.

225-343-9029
Old 07-20-2005, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MADMAN
The 26 tire is to small. On the other side most of the guys here are OVER tired. You dont need a massive tire and a lot of gear to run. A 28 tire and the right gear will be the most consistent and will work the best.
thanks thats the kind of answers i am looking for.
My main concern is that a cam only friend of mine ran 26's. pulling mid 1.4 60's. he threw on a set of 28's and he pulled the same 60' but his ET went down .15. not sure about his MPH but i think that suffered too.
I know people get bigger tires for taction. But in my case i don't ever wanna add a power adder to my car and the most it will probably ever be is a heads and cam 346.
Iguess i'm thinkin like axles, you know get the smallest ones that can handle your power. anything bigger is excess weight.
But i'll probably just do what Madman is sayin and stick with the 4.10s cause buyin new tires is cheaper than a gear swap.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Make a 1/4 mile pass.

Your sig:

So your sayin that after i get a fast enuff 1/4 mile run i'll be set?
cause last i heard most people don't even consider me a SI car, so why even worry about my sig?
Old 07-20-2005, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

I guess someone thought this was funny.
Originally Posted by SUX2BU
"Unofficially" the fastest SI car in the world that hasn't made a 1/4 mile pass
i'll fix it.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:32 PM
11 Second Club

I guess a more specific question would have been
If a car can cut the same 60' with a 4.10 gear/28" tire as with a 3.73 gear/ 26" tire combo would the smaller tire result in a better ET or MPH?
Old 07-20-2005, 08:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by MADMAN
Madman, we met in person. You're a cool guy. I respect what you have to say so don't take this the wrong way.

Do you think both 01-Z and I were over tired for our cam-only setups? He ran a 29" tall and hooked consistantly. I ran a 28x10.5 and did not hook consistantly. We raced at the same places with very similar suspension setups.

Him and I (as the NA Cam Only record holders) both agree that 28x10.5 is not enough tire for a 2800lb raceweight f-body that cuts low 1.3's and has similar setups like ours.

John also has a 28x10.5" tire on his blown car and can barely hook 1.45's while blowing the tires off for the entire 60'. He is going to a W and I think he is going to barely cut it with those tires as he is going to launch off of the WOT T-Brake, not using a 2step.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Launching!

A smaller tire should always get you to the end of the track a little quicker assuming you're geared properly. As long as you're hookin up, a bigger tire will not do you any good. When the tires start getting to the end of their lifespan, the larger tire will be more forgiving, usually.

One of the most overlooked things about slicks is their lifespan. If you cutting 1.3s with them, you're probably not going to get much more than 20 or so good passes out of them. They may still look great but the "good" can be used up pretty quickly. That's why you'll see a lot of Stock, S/S, comp eliminator guys selling their slightly used tires so cheap. I think I wore out a pair or two of Firestones years ago but most slicks I've tossed away before they were even close to being worn out.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:22 PM
8 Second Club

Madman, we met in person. You're a cool guy. I respect what you have to say so don't take this the wrong way.

Do you think both 01-Z and I were over tired for our cam-only setups? He ran a 29" tall and hooked consistantly. I ran a 28x10.5 and did not hook consistantly. We raced at the same places with very similar suspension setups.

Him and I (as the NA Cam Only record holders) both agree that 28x10.5 is not enough tire for a 2800lb raceweight f-body that cuts low 1.3's and has similar setups like ours.

John also has a 28x10.5" tire on his blown car and can barely hook 1.45's while blowing the tires off for the entire 60'. He is going to a W and I think he is going to barely cut it with those tires as he is going to launch off of the WOT T-Brake, not using a 2step.
sorry...but lol
Old 07-20-2005, 10:35 PM
11 Second Club

No offense MAGNUS, but the fastest someone has gone on a 28x10.5 tire is 7.37 @ 194. So i think they can handle a cam only LS1.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

god this lame debate again? i think sux2bu makes posts just so he can agrivate people with his theoretical SI timeslips. no one gives a crap what your sig says or how big your off road truck tires are. if you are sold on the 28 inch tire then go for it. pull 1.31 or better and show up here. but stop the weak *** bench racing. if you drive that much a day in your race car, drive to a 1/4 mile track
Old 07-21-2005, 01:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
god this lame debate again? i think sux2bu makes posts just so he can agrivate people with his theoretical SI timeslips. no one gives a crap what your sig says or how big your off road truck tires are. if you are sold on the 28 inch tire then go for it. pull 1.31 or better and show up here. but stop the weak *** bench racing. if you drive that much a day in your race car, drive to a 1/4 mile track
Geez wash the sand out of your vagina this thread had NOTHING to do with my "stock internal" controversy untill Magnus started up with it. It seems as though he cares what my sig says, thats why he brought it up. If you couldn't tell my sig is meant as a joke to get under peoples skin and it looks like it worked for you.
This thread is about gear ratio and slick combinations. NOT the truck tires i use for daily driving.
The only 1/4 mile track around is Texas Motorplex and i would LOVE to run there (to me 1/8 mile is going half way down the track) but seing as how it's been closed from June 3rd till August 5th i have no other choice but race at the four local 1/8 mile track within 30 min of my house.
So if you find my threads so lame please stay clear of them.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
Geez wash the sand out of your vagina this thread had NOTHING to do with my "stock internal" controversy untill Magnus started up with it. It seems as though he cares what my sig says, thats why he brought it up. If you couldn't tell my sig is meant as a joke to get under peoples skin and it looks like it worked for you.
This thread is about gear ratio and slick combinations. NOT the truck tires i use for daily driving.
The only 1/4 mile track around is Texas Motorplex and i would LOVE to run there (to me 1/8 mile is going half way down the track) but seing as how it's been closed from June 3rd till August 5th i have no other choice but race at the four local 1/8 mile track within 30 min of my house.
So if you find my threads so lame please stay clear of them.
Wake up dude-the sig. is retarded You just make yourself look like an *** by continually making a big deal out of it.

I think Magnus has every right to post in your tire thread-He has posted the fastest SI timeslip and cam only timeslip-along w/ 01-Z. Not to mention this is the drag racing tech section; and he obviously has a boatload more experience working with your type of setup than you do.-No offense, but why not learn from it?

Anyways...

Try it and see what happens. I agree with the earlier post that talked about the age of the tires. You will have to change the 26x10's often to hook really well on them.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:52 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stu'sWS6
Wake up dude-the sig. is retarded You just make yourself look like an *** by continually making a big deal out of it.

I think Magnus has every right to post in your tire thread-He has posted the fastest SI timeslip and cam only timeslip-along w/ 01-Z. Not to mention this is the drag racing tech section; and he obviously has a boatload more experience working with your type of setup than you do.-No offense, but why not learn from it?

Anyways...

Try it and see what happens. I agree with the earlier post that talked about the age of the tires. You will have to change the 26x10's often to hook really well on them.
You guys and your internet glory records...I'll race both of them and my ****'s stone internal too...scout's honor! lol
Old 07-21-2005, 07:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The guys running mid nines and slower dont need anything bigger than a 28 tire. IF your gear ratio and suspension is right then the car will be faster with a smaller tire.

225-343-9029

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why is "big gear/big tire" combo better?