Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best drag radial

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best drag radial

what is the best drag radial for the money. and one that last a good amount of time??
Old 07-27-2005, 06:50 AM
11 Second Club

-NITTO DRAGS-
Well, I have ran the same nitto's for a summer and a half now and they still hook, but are scary in the rain, and almost undriveable in a down pour. Don't get me wrong, these tires worked great in the rain when new, but I have some track time on them and alot of street races and they are almost finished.

-MT Drags-
I just ordered these and from looking at them, these will not be a friendly street tire. They almost look like my bald nittos and they are brand new. I have heard nothing but good from people at the track w/ these tires and that is why I bought them. Also, some have mentioned that they are not a good street tire from experiance.

-BFG Drag-
Never seen anyone w/ them, but heard they hook great, better then nitto's, but only last a 1/2 or so as long as nitto's. They are also terrible in the rain after a few 1,000 miles I have heard.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:04 AM
11 Second Club

Here was they looked like before I went to the track, now they are a little worse and I was caught in a rainstorm on the interstate and well, in 6th gear at 40 MPH or so I could spin the tires w/ ease. This was scary and well, it sucked. Def. time for some new ones. But at the track, I was still pulling 1.900 60 foots and I was being easy on the stock 10 bolt in my car.

Here is after the track and some big street runs the weekend before:

Not too much of a differance, but man, scary in the rain. U can find some pics on here of new nitto's and there is a Huge differance in tread down the middle. I have been running these at 26 Psi on the street, but I now am running them at 19 and they seem hardly different and are wearing better.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

I'd suggest pick a priority - traction or wear.

Best to worst -

Traction
M/T
BFG
Nitto

Wear
Nitto
BFG
M/T
Old 07-27-2005, 11:30 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next pretty much summed it up, what are you looking to use these for and what kind of 60 foot times can you pull on a sticky tire now? I have a friend pulling 1.55's on a 275/60/15 M/T in a 95 Formula with the stock 10 bolt, and they have great street manners he said for a drag radial. I watched him drive home this past weekend on them from the track after we got rained out, and the car didn't get loose unless he got excessive with the gas pedal

Derek
Old 07-28-2005, 02:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

I chose these over the M/T ET streets because I have to drive to track and et streets are the biggest no-no in the rain. Wether these are better/worse than M/T dr not sure yet. These are the newer BFG tread pattern, and thay hook pretty good even with some big torque. These are 315's and are a little squirlly on the interstate, but I got used to it.
Robert
Old 07-28-2005, 04:57 AM
11 Second Club

srt8linespeed87: I have heard some good things from 03-04 Cobra guys that run the BFG's that Robert56 runs. Plus, they are one of the widest "315" drag radials out there, Nittos tend to be the smallest 315 Drag radial. Some have trouble fitting them w/ out some serious cutting and hammering on the innner fender but then again, some don't.

What size where u looking to run?
Old 07-28-2005, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) nittos are great in the rain. i live in south florida. i know rain. good for 15-17K miles no doubt. keep them at 21-24 psi and they will last.
2) m/t are VERY good for a street tire. better than those bfg imo. incredibly stable and solid in the rain compared to the bfg.
3) i went 1.57 on the m/t twice last night out of two runs at our local 1/8th mile crap track (i call it a parking lot). tire pressure was 22 psi.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:44 AM
10 Second Club

The new style BFG was actually the drag radial developed for the import gang.. Its a decent tire and hooks good.

I have the old style BFG and I like em. They don't need much of a burnout, they're sticky and soft. I would not use them to drive on the street. I have run the Nitto on the street and they are great. At the track they are not consistent but I have gone a 1.6 on them. Emphasis on burnout with them.

My friend runs the M/T and they are very sticky like the BFG but I think they're tread pattern and stickiness surpasses the BFG. They are like a slick compound. They drive great on dry road, but in wet they are dangerous over 30 mph, probably the same would apply to the BFG. The Nitto I have run at highway speed in the rain with no problem.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Another reason I chose the BFG's is the fact I can get them in 18" and run the 315 on stock 18 x 10.5 Z06 wheels. For not much sidewall they are decent. But next season, I'll probably try the M/T DR as I heard they are going to release them in 18" soon. Later, a dedicated set of ET streets in 16".
Robert
Old 07-28-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by next
I'd suggest pick a priority - traction or wear.

Best to worst -

Traction
M/T
BFG
Nitto

Wear
Nitto
BFG
M/T
Summed it up perfectly
Old 07-29-2005, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

thanks guys..i am gonna have limited street use except for when a drag show comes to Bowling Green. i think m/t drs are gonna be best for me. thanks for the pics too.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:28 AM
Teching In

I have heard many good things of nittos and plan on getting some in the near future