Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trouble with shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 09:43 PM
CT Hotness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default trouble with shifting

I've only made about 12 passes with my car, all with the mods. I never raced it stock which i regret, but i am having trouble shifting in time. I set my shift light down to 6000 rpms to hopefully be more successful at shifting at 6500, but i am always hitting my rev limiter at 6800. I am just curious as to what everyone else sets theirs at, I lowered it to 5800 and was going to try that but i broke my DS on that launch ..so much for that. I feel like an idiot always hitting the rev limiter and its not doing my car any good either, does anyone else have this prob? thanks in advance everyone

-stephanie
Old 07-31-2005, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

practice practice practice are you trying to power shift, you know not lifting the throttle off the floor? try to just lift a little when you shift, some people call it "speed shifting", the revs wont shoot towards the limiter so fast but what do i know i drive an automatic
oh, dont feel like an idiot thats what rev limiters are for!
Old 08-01-2005, 01:24 AM
Motorboater

yup practice. learn to anticipate the shift by the pitch and frequency of sound the motor is making when that light goes off. a shift light is a helper, not a controller, you are still in charge of the shifts.

just sounds to me like you are worrying about it too much, just drive the car. i was using a stock tach running 11.0's in my car, learn your car and you'll be fine
Old 08-01-2005, 07:34 AM
CT Hotness

ive been speed shifting, i leave my foot to the floor on the gas while shifting. i should probably just try lifting up a little until i really learn to shift.
silver- i do worry too much lol. i think i am trying to just go up there and make an 11 sec run like its easy. trying to hard makes me mess up even more. i think once i fix the car i'll just drive it more on the road (i never drive it much on the road anymore) and learn the car before i go back to the track