Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seat belts

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 01:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seat belts

i just got a 5 point RCI Platinum series seat belt system. i was wondering hot much a five point seat belt system would cost to install in a 67 camaro that already has a 10 ponit cage??
Old 08-02-2005, 08:53 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lap belts should attach to your stock lap belt mounting holes. You'll need to drill a hole in the floor under the front edge of your seat for the crotch strap belt, and the shoulder belts will attach to the back crossbar that's welded between the main hoop. If you don't already have a tab welded on the crossbar for the belts to mount to, you'll need one done. If you need pictures, let me know and I'll shoot some of my current 5-point set-up.

Derek

Last edited by Villain281H; 08-02-2005 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Villain281H
The lap belts should attach to your stock lap belt mounting holes. You'll need to drill a hole in the floor under the front edge of your seat for the crotch strap belt, and the shoulder belts will attach to the back crossbar that's welded between the main hoop. If you don't already have a tab welded on the crossbar for the belts to mount to, you'll need one done. If you need pictures, let me know and I'll shoot some of my current 5-point set-up.

Derek
pics please
Old 08-03-2005, 11:26 AM
7 Second Club

I'll have pictures taken and posted up sometime tonight.

Derek
Old 08-03-2005, 11:56 AM
Launching!

I wonder if the NHRA rules say you need some sort of "tab" on the crossbar for the shoulder harnesses to attach to? Mine are simply passed thru the holes in the backs of my race seat, wrapped around the crossbar, and cinched up tight with the belt threaded through the existing tightener hardware. (3" wide individual belts & Sparco race seats)

I only go to one track, and this works for them, could I fail tech at some other tracks for not having them run through "tabs"?

Last edited by ChevyGoldfinger; 08-05-2005 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

pics please this would help me out alot
Old 08-03-2005, 09:02 PM
7 Second Club

http://community.webshots.com/album/107726946yukZBw/1

click that link and the bottom 5 pictures should help out. If these aren't clear enough, let me know and I'll shoot some in the daytime for better lighting.

Derek
Old 08-05-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's some great info about mounting harnesses (right from one of the manufacturers). Just thought I'd pass it along. Whatever you do, be safe!

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/s...stinfo_seating

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/s...tinfo_mounting

And all of it can be found here (and other good stuff as well).

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/s...restraint_info
Old 08-05-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I like how that guy has Simpson written ALL over him lol
Old 08-05-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Villain281H
If you don't already have a tab welded on the crossbar for the belts to mount to, you'll need one done. If you need pictures, let me know and I'll shoot some of my current 5-point set-up.

Originally Posted by ChevyGoldfinger
I wonder if the NHRA rules say you need some sort of "tab" on the crossbar for the shoulder harnesses to attach to? Mine are simply wrapped around the crossbar and cinched up tight with the belt threaded through the existing tightener hardware. (3" wide individual Sparco belts)

I only go to one track, and this works for them, could I fail tech at some other tracks for not having them run through "tabs"?

My guess is that the "tabs" are considered a "provision for eliminating lateral movement" of the belts. Often a "provision for eliminating lateral movement of wrap around harnesses" is nothing more than a race seat with slots cut in it for the belts. If you were using those with stock seats, you could "pull through" the center of them (if they split behind you, your shoulders could roll back and slide through). So, I would consider something to keep them in place as a requirement. Do they have to be welded tabs? Nope (not in my opinion or that of most tech inspectors I've met). But, it should be something (and not anything sharp) to prevent the belts from "splitting" apart.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by trackbird
My guess is that the "tabs" are considered a "provision for eliminating lateral movement" of the belts. Often a "provision for eliminating lateral movement of wrap around harnesses" is nothing more than a race seat with slots cut in it for the belts. If you were using those with stock seats, you could "pull through" the center of them (if they split behind you, your shoulders could roll back and slide through). So, I would consider something to keep them in place as a requirement. Do they have to be welded tabs? Nope (not in my opinion or that of most tech inspectors I've met). But, it should be something (and not anything sharp) to prevent the belts from "splitting" apart.
Thanks Trackbird. In my own case, I have the Sparco Evo2 race seats that have holes in the backs where the shoulder harnesses pass through. This seems to hold them in place laterally nicely. The tech inspectors at my track have never mentioned anything about them being wrapped around the crossbar, they just looked at them the first time and checked to see that they were tight and secure.

I think some people might have gotten the idea that you need tabs welded to the crossbar when if you have the correct type of shoulder harness, and the correct race type seats, the wrap around style of attaching the shoulder belts is NHRA legal.