Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie A4 racing question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newbie A4 racing question

I was wondering if you guys race with the car in drive and let the car shift buy itself, or put it in first and shift manualy? If you shift the car manualy what RPM do you shift at? All my car has right now is a lid and a catback.
Thanks for any advice.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:57 AM
TECH Regular

Its an auto, let the car shift itself, youll get better results
Old 08-07-2005, 02:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Just stab and steer...let the car do the shifting.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mr. Trick
I was wondering if you guys race with the car in drive and let the car shift buy itself, or put it in first and shift manualy? If you shift the car manualy what RPM do you shift at? All my car has right now is a lid and a catback.
Thanks for any advice.
I agree with the others that letting the computer shift the car works best. The stock PCM settings aren't set for optimum rpm shift points though. So if you get a chance, see if you can find someone with HP Tuners or LS1 Edit to do a quick tune on your car and raise the shift points, delete the "Torque Management", and check out the fan settings, you might want to set them to come on earlier than stock.

Our stock tachs are so sluggish and slow to read rpm, it's almost impossible to accurately shift these cars manually. With an aftermarket tach, ratchet shifter, and a shift kit etc., you "might" do better shifting manually. Good luck finding somebody with tuning software and a laptop.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:43 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run mine in overdrive, and it seems to work pretty consistently. Colonel suggested the OD as opposed to drive, so I've tried it lately. Last three passes I've made down the track were 13.236, 13.230, 13.240 at all 104.xx mph

Good luck!

Derek
Old 08-08-2005, 09:32 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChevyGoldfinger
I agree with the others that letting the computer shift the car works best. The stock PCM settings aren't set for optimum rpm shift points though. So if you get a chance, see if you can find someone with HP Tuners or LS1 Edit to do a quick tune on your car and raise the shift points, delete the "Torque Management", and check out the fan settings, you might want to set them to come on earlier than stock.

Our stock tachs are so sluggish and slow to read rpm, it's almost impossible to accurately shift these cars manually. With an aftermarket tach, ratchet shifter, and a shift kit etc., you "might" do better shifting manually. Good luck finding somebody with tuning software and a laptop.
What should the shift points be raised to? What does torque management do?
My cousin has a 02 GMC, and just got his pcm back from wait4me. The adjusted the tow haul mode for more aggresive shifts, cuold they do the same for me even thou I don't have a tow haul?
Thanks for the advise guys, keep it coming.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Villain281H
I run mine in overdrive, and it seems to work pretty consistently. Colonel suggested the OD as opposed to drive, so I've tried it lately. Last three passes I've made down the track were 13.236, 13.230, 13.240 at all 104.xx mph

Good luck!

Derek

I run it in 3 (drive) Is there any reasoning behind the OD vs D ? I have run in od before, but if I need to burp the throttle at end of track (bracket racing) it will shift into OD, and not pull hard when back on throttle.

'J
Old 08-08-2005, 06:00 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by J 98ta
I run it in 3 (drive) Is there any reasoning behind the OD vs D ? I have run in od before, but if I need to burp the throttle at end of track (bracket racing) it will shift into OD, and not pull hard when back on throttle.

'J
I usually don't blip the throttle much in mine when bracket racing. I use the brakes while keeping the gas down to close up the stripe. Like I said above, I tried mine in 3rd for a majority of the time I raced it, but every now and then it'd hit the high-side rpm chip on the 1-2 shift. Since I started running it in OD about 2 years ago, it's never happened since.

Derek
Old 08-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mr. Trick
What should the shift points be raised to? What does torque management do?
My cousin has a 02 GMC, and just got his pcm back from wait4me. The adjusted the tow haul mode for more aggresive shifts, cuold they do the same for me even thou I don't have a tow haul?
Thanks for the advise guys, keep it coming.
Well, it's been so long since my PCM was stock, I have forgotten what the stock shift points are set at, but I seem to remember somewhere around 5700-5750 stock.
These cars make pretty good HP all the way to 6000 RPM, so that might be where you would want to try it.
(the tuner guy will no doubt have some input on this)

The stock transmission has the line pressure set to be "sporty" but GM was careful not to increase the line pressure to the point it snapped Grandma's neck if she bought one. The tuner can easily increase the line pressure to make the shifts more positive, but not as positive as a good shift kit like a "TransGo" will. For starters, as long as you are paying for a tune, go ahead and have the line pressure raised a little. A good tuner will know how much to raise it.

As for torque management, it was just GM's way of protecting themselves against a flood of cars coming back for warranty work after the guys who bought these cars beat on them HARD It simply senses "abuse" and cuts back the timing and reduces HP. Any tuner can delete it in a few seconds. The fans coming on earlier is a good thing, and will help keep your car cooler when doing back to back races, or just driving in traffic with the air on, it's a good thing to have done. At the same time, most guys put a 160* thermostat in. This is a great mod, unless you live in Northern Alaska or similar

Hope this helps answer some of your questions, there's a Forum dedicated to PCM's and tuning, you can always post questions there and probably get more accurate answers.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:21 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Overdrive for me. I need a free hand to sip on my Pepsi.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:42 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Overdrive for me. I need a free hand to sip on my Pepsi.
Or tune the radio since the car's so damn quiet I can hear the F@#*!king announcer...
Old 08-11-2005, 01:51 PM
12 Second Club

I shift it but that is because I've had some major issues with my transmissions so I feel more in control and don't worry the Auto still shifts ten times faster than the manual when you are shifting it yourself. I agree about all the tuning comments, but what are your future plans cause tuning isn't cheap and if you intend on more mods I'd wait.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyGoldfinger
The stock transmission has the line pressure set to be "sporty" but GM was careful not to increase the line pressure to the point it snapped Grandma's neck if she bought one. The tuner can easily increase the line pressure to make the shifts more positive, but not as positive as a good shift kit like a "TransGo" will. For starters, as long as you are paying for a tune, go ahead and have the line pressure raised a little. A good tuner will know how much to raise it.
I was told that having tuners bump up shift firmness "line pressure" does nothing for performance, because those shift firmness settings don't apply at WOT. WOT "shift firmness" is already at the equiv 100% in the PCM. The "tuned" line pressure shift firmness is for non-WOT shifts (daily driving shifts). If anyone can confirm/contradict this I'd like to know.. thanks.

Old 08-11-2005, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mk3cn4
I was told that having tuners bump up shift firmness "line pressure" does nothing for performance, because those shift firmness settings don't apply at WOT. WOT "shift firmness" is already at the equiv 100% in the PCM. The "tuned" line pressure shift firmness is for non-WOT shifts (daily driving shifts). If anyone can confirm/contradict this I'd like to know.. thanks.

My line pressure was bumped up and felt a hell of a difference, especially at WOT. I couldn't see GM putting the line pressure at it's maximum capabilities on a stock tune.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anniversary "Z"
My line pressure was bumped up and felt a hell of a difference, especially at WOT. I couldn't see GM putting the line pressure at it's maximum capabilities on a stock tune.
I don't have links from the other sites I saw this on, but here's some from here with some opinions:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....73&postcount=3

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....5&postcount=11

...and the thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/164174-hpp3-shift-firmness-informed-opinions-please.html

I too used HPP3 and noticed no difference on WOT shifts, much sharper on normal shifts. My car bone stock was chirping second and third before the HPP3 at WOT.

I'm still convinced based on other discussions I've seen and my personal experience with HPP3 that the PCM hits 100% line pressure on WOT, would like to know if anyone with real intimate knowledge can confirm/contradict this...

Last edited by mk3cn4; 08-12-2005 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:13 PM
12 Second Club

I don't have links from the other sites I saw this on, but here's some from here with some opinions:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....73&postcount=3

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....5&postcount=11

...and the thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164174

I too used HPP3 and noticed no difference on WOT shifts, much sharper on normal shifts. My car bone stock was chirping second and third before the HPP3 at WOT.

I'm still convinced based on other discussions I've seen and my personal experience with HPP3 that the PCM hits 100% line pressure on WOT, would like to know if anyone with real intimate knowledge can confirm/contradict this...
I stand corrected, but from my own experience it FELT like it hit a lot harder than stock. I would like to know the answer to this now as well.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My car bone stock was chirping second and third before the HPP3 at WOT.
I'd like to correct my statement, while driving I can punch it and it'll chirp on the downshift TO 1 (from 3 or 2), then chirp the 1-2, but my car doesn't chirp on the 2-3 shift stock. I said that wrong, sorry...

Maybe I'll throw out a new thread with the WOT question, there's gotta be some pro tuner here who knows...