Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions pertaining Strange rear drag brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 05:28 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Questions pertaining Strange rear drag brakes

I'll be ordering my new rear end with the rear Strange brakes and was wondering if there was anything else I needed to buy? Should be a direct replacement. The only thing that I could think of was brake lines. The way its setup now is a hard line going to a bracket, then on the other side of the bracket it has the rubber line going to the caliper. I attached a pic. Does the new brakes come with any hose or lines whatsoever? Just need to know what I'll need to get everything working and installed properly, thanks.

By the way, this kit will work with the stock master/booster setup right? I dont have ABS anymore, I have the Billingsley delete block.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:48 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It should bolt in straight up. No need to run a soft line to the caliper. You can hardline it all the way to the caliper with a -4AN tube flare and nut. It will probably come with the AN fitting in the caliper, but nothing else. It will work with the stock brake setup. It's a personal preference if you like manual vs stock brake master cylinders though.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:16 AM
9 Second Club NA

Well if possible, I'd like to run a soft line that way if I have to move the caliper around for any reason, I'll be able to do so as I would think a hard line wouldn't. Does anyone know if it does or does not come with a fitting? If not, where can I pick up the fitting and soft line at? Would I run a rubber hose, braided steel, etc.? I dont have the brake kit in hand and will be coming installed on the rear, so I want to make sure I have everything so when it gets here, I can install it and have the car ready. So I need to know what size, what kind, brand, etc. line to run and whether or not the fitting comes with the brake kit and if not, where do I get one, size, etc.?

On the master cylinder, I was just wondering if it would work. I have to run it for now as I dont have the funds to swap over to a manual kit.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:41 PM
kp
8 Second Club

The caliper has a -4 fitting on it. Billingley sells the braided hoses and adapter fitting to the stock hard line.

Last edited by kp; 08-12-2005 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:58 PM
9 Second Club NA

So I would need 2 hoses and 2 adapters. One side of the line would thread into the caliper and the other side would have the adapter on it which will thread into the bracket where it meets the hard line? If so, the only kit I see on Billingsley site is for $69 It says specify front or rear. If that's it, how come its so much. It could be $70 for 2 hoses and 2 adpaters could it?
Old 08-13-2005, 04:23 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The adapter fits on the bubble flair and converts it to -4 AN on the other side. Then the flex line is an Earls type brake line with -4 AN fittings on each side. Because the Earls adapters and fittings are not cheap to do the flex lines.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Billingsley kit is the way to go.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:09 PM
kp
8 Second Club

the 70.00 kit includes both sides (2 hoses, 2 adapters). Its the going rate for 2 teflon braided hoses and adapters from just about anywhere, except you get the right size stuff the first time from Billingsley.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We also carry the correctly designed kit that is necessary. Front or rears...always in stock. They can be ordered directly off our our site.

If this is Jeremy, let me know if you need them still since the last time we spoke.

Steve

Last edited by steve10; 08-13-2005 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:14 PM
9 Second Club NA

Steve, is the kit you sell the same as the one Billingsley sells? From what Strange told me, Earl's is the only company out there who makes the parts for what I need. If that's true, then both of ya'll kits should consist of the same parts manufactured from the same company.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:49 PM
Motorboater

i have the earls' setup on all 4 corners of my car, got them when i got my brakes over 3 years ago on a package deal, i recall the earl's one being a pretty good price for doing all 4 corners but I dunno, was a while ago.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not know the specifics of what Jay uses...braided hoses can be custom built or pre-assembled. either way, in the end it really doesn't matter how you do it as long as high-quality lines are used.

You can have them built, purchase a pre-fabbed kit, or if you want to do it as cheap as possible, use hard line as mentioned above. If you do choose hard lines, unless you already have a bender and bubble and double flaring tool kit, it may end up costing about the same in the end. Changing pads will be a bit more difficult as you'll have to re-bleed your lines every time you remove your calipers.

The most important aspect is that if you want the kit ready to bolt on, then either our kit or jay's kit would fit the bill.

I think you'll find, braided hoses are not inexpensive. Any type of pre-assembled kits will cost a few bucks.

Steve