Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

15x10" Welds with 26x11.5" ET streets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 15x10" Welds with 26x11.5" ET streets?

I have been noticing a trend in quicker street/race cars that run DOT tires and are limited to a certain width tire. They seem to run the widest rim they can get away with. Like some 275/60/15" ETstreet radials on a 10" rim. I have both 10" and 8" Welds for my T/A and have some 26x11.5" Et streets on the 8" and 325/50/15's ET street Radials on the 10's. Well I am trying to get the car in the 10's N/A and was thinking about swapping the 26"x11.5" Et streets onto my 10" rims to get a better contact patch. I would just leave the Dragradials unmounted until I was ready to put them back on. LMK What you guys think? Clint
Old 12-27-2005, 03:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran that combo for a few years. No problems. I do hook better on the 28s now.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 10 inch rim will give you a wider contact patch. The better way to hook (assuming you are having issues with traction) is to use a 28" for more sidewall, and then change the gears to get the max on the motor.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
The 10 inch rim will give you a wider contact patch. The better way to hook (assuming you are having issues with traction) is to use a 28" for more sidewall, and then change the gears to get the max on the motor.
This is the truth, if you are limited by tire size, get the widest rim it will go on. More tire on the ground! I think there is a point where too much will slow the car down, depending on the amount of power you are making. I dont make a whole lot so weight and resistance is key factors to watch.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I agree with you guys. I am having some traction problems and do have a set 28" tires that I run on the car with n2o however they hurt my ET's on motor. So instead of swapping gears it's alot easier to swap tires and rims. I ran the car just a couple weekends ago and the best 60' was a 1.56 so I am going back to the track next week with the 15x10's and same 26x11.5 ET streets to see what it will do. I have also changed a few things so it won't be a fair comparison but as long as it's quicker oh well. Later Clint
Old 12-28-2005, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Email me your suspension set up, you make alot more power than me but should be able to get the car to hook, if the track is close to being prepped.

We went to Shady Side a few weeks ago and I have never hooked there (in my other car) but with this M6 car we left at 6k and with the shocks on full loose (stock shocks on the rear) it hooked everytime.

I will add a pic to this b/c I think it is cool for a Bolt on car to do this!! This pic is from that day at shadyside.
Attached Thumbnails 15x10" Welds with 26x11.5" ET streets?-hpwheelup.jpg  
Old 12-28-2005, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
Email me your suspension set up, you make alot more power than me but should be able to get the car to hook, if the track is close to being prepped.

We went to Shady Side a few weeks ago and I have never hooked there (in my other car) but with this M6 car we left at 6k and with the shocks on full loose (stock shocks on the rear) it hooked everytime.

I will add a pic to this b/c I think it is cool for a Bolt on car to do this!! This pic is from that day at shadyside.
Shon,

The real trick to running Shadyside is to go when they are having their big shoot-outs. Otherwise it is hit or miss on track conditions. Let me know next time you are coming up. It is only fifteen minutes from me.

Take Care,

Daren
Old 12-28-2005, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GIZMO
Shon,

The real trick to running Shadyside is to go when they are having their big shoot-outs. Otherwise it is hit or miss on track conditions. Let me know next time you are coming up. It is only fifteen minutes from me.

Take Care,

Daren
It had been a while since any big event has been there, I think we got lucky!! Plus having a suspension that actually works helps alot with track conditions.