Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is concidered a full weight car to you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 05:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What is concidered a full weight car to you?

I see alot of guys claiming full weight but they have bogarts or welds on there cars. Some have no spare / jack / swaybar/ Back seat etc...
At what point do you think a car isnt full weight?

Is it a certain race weight ? like maby 3600 #`s , 3500 #`s or less?

I am just wondering.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by offaxis
I see alot of guys claiming full weight but they have bogarts or welds on there cars. Some have no spare / jack / swaybar/ Back seat etc...
At what point do you think a car isnt full weight?

Is it a certain race weight ? like maby 3600 #`s , 3500 #`s or less?

I am just wondering.
Full weight is taking ABSULUTELY nothing out for weight savings. These guys that say "full weight" but have taken things out aren't even fooling anyone.
The car has to weigh at least 3450 without you in it. And if you add a roll bar or rear end that doesn't mean you can take out something welse to offset the weight.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

dont forget about gas in the tank how many people ride around with less than 1/8 tank of gas...full weight means 3500 min. with driver in my book
Old 01-13-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

full weight ='s you still have carpet, heat, and both front seats
Old 01-13-2006, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ramairstyle00
full weight ='s you still have carpet, heat, and both front seats
so if i put a heater back in my car i can be "full weight"?
let see the heater should be aboput 10 lbs, so i would be a 2970lb "full weight" car!
Old 01-13-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
so if i put a heater back in my car i can be "full weight"?
let see the heater should be aboput 10 lbs, so i would be a 2970lb "full weight" car!

you have real carpet? not the light weight homemade stuff. REAL carpet

we were actually pointing out reasons why our cars were still street cars...... or race cars. sadly, i lost the street car race HAHA
Old 01-14-2006, 07:11 AM
10 Second Club

I see guys right now who have pulled there a/c and hearter box still with some bigs and littles claiming full weight.

Im not trying to pick on anyone but I think some people think if there raceweight isnt 3000 #`s they are still full weight. I guess they want there times to look more impressive.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:25 PM
9 Second Club

Its an age old argument - just like what is considered a street car...

I never can understand these kind of arguments - what difference does it really make? To each their own. The way I see it my car makes me happy and that is all that matters. Call it "not full weight", call it a "race car", call it anything you want - in the end, it is what it is and I like it. A pretty fast car that I can still drive on the street when I want to and it isn't all gutted out inside.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-14-2006, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

I wouldnt concider my car full weight at all either ( or fast for that matter ) . I was just wondering what other peoples idea of full weight would be.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to me, full weight is stock interior, i dont care about the spare tire or A/C(didnt 98 1LE's come w/o AC, so would that make them not full weight from the factory?)

but if you wanted to get technical, would aftermarket k-members and such that are lighter make a car not full weight?
Old 01-14-2006, 09:43 PM
9 Second Club

To put a number on it, I would say anything 3500# or up is heavy enough to be considered full weight. But that is just my opinion. Mine is 3600#, and I can tell you it ain't easy gettin all that weight down the track in a hurry!

I'm probably gonna look to get rid of some more weight somewhere to make up for the cage upgrade I gotta do. But I won't take anything out that makes it look bad or gutted. I'll probably end up spending a bunch of money to get it off with a k-member and a-arms. At least my existing rollbar and the cage conversion are chromoly, so they don't add as much as mild steel.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
To put a number on it, I would say anything 3500# or up is heavy enough to be considered full weight. But that is just my opinion. Mine is 3600#, and I can tell you it ain't easy gettin all that weight down the track in a hurry!

I'm probably gonna look to get rid of some more weight somewhere to make up for the cage upgrade I gotta do. But I won't take anything out that makes it look bad or gutted. I'll probably end up spending a bunch of money to get it off with a k-member and a-arms. At least my existing rollbar and the cage conversion are chromoly, so they don't add as much as mild steel.

man, i don't think it could be put any better you get a for that!
Old 01-15-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a tough subject. My 1995 Formula came factory AC delete. It has no other options. I wish that I had weighed it before I started modifying it.

I removed the back seat and installed a mild steel rollbar. The six speed was replaced with a TH-350. I removed the heater and changed the factory computer to Accell DFI. The factory exhaust was changed for headers with turbo mufflers. The wheels and tires were changed for Convo Pros and Hoosiers. I added sub frame connectors and lift bars. The battery was moved to the trunk. With a full tank of gas and me in the drivers seat it weighed approx. 3300 lbs. I can't see that I made any major reduction in weight, because I put so much metal back in the car.

My point is that this car was a factory light weight, no power anything, no rear floor mats, no trim, etc. There is no way that it would have weighed 3500 lbs even with the LT1.

That's why I think that it's better to race in specific classes where the cars are held to particular rules. That way you have a true idea of how your car compares to others.

Daren
Old 01-15-2006, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
Its an age old argument - just like what is considered a street car...

I never can understand these kind of arguments - what difference does it really make? To each their own. The way I see it my car makes me happy and that is all that matters. Call it "not full weight", call it a "race car", call it anything you want - in the end, it is what it is and I like it. A pretty fast car that I can still drive on the street when I want to and it isn't all gutted out inside.

Just my 2 cents...
It pisses me off cause SOOOOO many people are quick to call my car "gutted out", "tin can", "race car" and **** like that without even seeing my car. When all i'm doing is trying to make it faster by making it lighter. Its no different than adding hp. I do keep the visuals nice though. all factory body panels and glass, two nice looking race seats, decent lookin carpet, all interior panels (minus the center console, the B&M Pro ratchet brushed aluminum cover looks trick as hell). I dailt drive it 90+ miles a day and it just pisses me off fore someone to call it something its not just cause its light. Then those same guys turn around and call their cars "full weight" and they are no where near close to factory weight. or they lie about their weight to make it seem like their cars are faster than they are.
Rant off.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I hated when people would bitch out of a race because they were up against a "tin can", "gutted racecar", etc... you have the option of doing the same to your car so that argument is whack. Why would I want my car weighing 3500lbs when I can have it at 2850lbs? Light car big motor sounds like a serious case of whoop ***.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

Full weight to me is as it rolled off the Dealers lot. The funny thing is they ratted my spare and jack and luckly I inspected the car when it came home. The bad thing is on a WS-6 is that it came with everything(01-02)
Old 01-15-2006, 03:38 PM
9 Second Club

3500+ sounds good to me. To each his own though. Everyone has different ideas about weight..streetable etc. On top of that....lots lie anyway...about times...power...weight ....mods..etc Mine is what it is...if it's slow for the combo, it's because thats all I can afford or all I know how to do....I can live with that
Old 01-15-2006, 04:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Full weight is exactly what it says FULL meaning nothing removed from the car.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

Depends on the car,I have !spare/jack and convo-pros but the BMR suspension/12 bolt/steel driveshaft/SFC/DR Loop probably make up the difference.I concider mine "stock weight"
Old 01-15-2006, 11:33 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

Most full weight 98-02 4th gen f-bods were 3400-3500 with some gas. Full weight for me is 3600-3700.

My formula was 3400 ish, 3600 with driver. I'm now at 3400 with driver, but that's with a 10 pt, 9", and a custom blower setup. Won't change much when I go turbo.