Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Drag Brake Install Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 04:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange Drag Brake Install Help!!!!

i ordered the Drag brake kit, and went to install it. Everything was going well unitl we went to install the rotors and calipers. the rotors are hitting the lower control arms, and not just barely, about an 1/8th of an inch to 3/16" is atleast how much the rotor is going to have to come out. i have stock lower control arms , and i really don't want to beat on them . The install kit came with absolutely no install instructions. but everything is pretty easy to figure out. Did anyone have this problem? Did you shim the aluminum bracket that attatches to the spindle?any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

We have this kit on both of the race cars and had to clearance the control arms with the cutting wheel,we have tubular lower arms on both cars so im not sure how it compares to the stock ones but we just had to cut a little notch out of the bottom to give the rotor the room it needs. I would find someone running these with the stock arms before i went cutting on them not sure if they would like that or not? I may be hard though because most people with drag brakes arent running stock suspension pieces..
Old 01-15-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

You may have to grind them down. I don't know? i have bmr lowers and there is about 1/4 " from the rotor to the a-arm. Maybe it want touch when the weight of the car is on the wheel?
Old 01-15-2006, 05:13 PM
10 Second Club

thanks , any other idea's. or is the consensus to get tubular lower control arms?? i would rahter keep my stock ones on for now. keep the thoughts and idea's coming
Old 01-15-2006, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

There should be enough material on the stock arms to grind away. The seam around the ball joint needs to be smoothed down. Make sure that you remove enough material so there is no interference even with the suspension bottomed out. This will prevent bending the rotors when coming down from a wheelstand.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:17 PM
10 Second Club

thanks, i was going to send you an email, but i didn't figure anyone would be around to answer it. i just wanted to make sure that when i grind the seam down, it will not separate if i come down from a launch, cause i am not sure if it is going to wheelstand or not, chances ar good that it will, t-brake, 4400 stall and a 150 shot on a h/c T/A

Quick Reply: Strange Drag Brake Install Help!!!!