Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro-shifted vs T-braked TH350

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pro-shifted vs T-braked TH350

Trying to decide what I want: a Pro-shifted T56 or a T-braked TH350.
This is no street car.
And I would consider taking 5th and 6th gear out of the 'box' to conserve weight in the T56.

TH350 would be strong and consistant.
T56 would be fun and less likely to miss a shift with it pro-shifted. Just worring about the right Clutch is a pain along with the fluids getting hot and not shifting correctly!! (why can someone one come up with a cable set up?)

Different note: cable driven set up....then I could get a stout trans!

What are the recommendations and experiences out there, I know there has to be some....
Old 01-18-2006, 08:23 AM
10 Second Club

pro-shifted T56's aren't all they are cracked up to be. when you get in the low 10/9 second range they still don't last too long. mine made it about 30 passes before it started showing wear. I can no longer power shift 3rd at all.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 383ss
pro-shifted T56's aren't all they are cracked up to be. when you get in the low 10/9 second range they still don't last too long. mine made it about 30 passes before it started showing wear. I can no longer power shift 3rd at all.
That's odd. I guess it depends on how you're driving it, and who your trans builder is. I had mine done by a good friend who also builds clutchless 5 speeds. Never had a prob at all.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

My pro-shifted started to pop out of 3rd on the last trip to the track (pretty common from what I understand). I have quite a few passes on it.

I went through it in November, deburred the dog ring teeth and ditched 5th and 6th. Haven't been back to the track though, as I took the rear end apart to swap gears and fix stuff back there...

A TH350 would go faster (IMO), but bangin' gears is too much fun...

My $.02 on T56's - if you run one at the track, you should get the tools to rebuild it yourself. It's easy to work on, and ~$200 in tools would cover it. Mine costs me nothing to go through and deburr, and just a few hard parts if necessary. That's the main reason I don't want to go auto... T56 is just too easy to work on.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Restricted User

If your banging gears with a clutchless trans is so much fun, then get a RMVB TH350 like mine. I get to reach up and slap that hoe back each gear
Old 01-18-2006, 01:59 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
Trying to decide what I want: a Pro-shifted T56 or a T-braked TH350.
This is no street car.
And I would consider taking 5th and 6th gear out of the 'box' to conserve weight in the T56.

TH350 would be strong and consistant.
T56 would be fun and less likely to miss a shift with it pro-shifted. Just worring about the right Clutch is a pain along with the fluids getting hot and not shifting correctly!! (why can someone one come up with a cable set up?)

Different note: cable driven set up....then I could get a stout trans!

What are the recommendations and experiences out there, I know there has to be some....

Shon, go with the th350. In the end I think your car will be faster.....t brakes are always fun too.