Sponsored by:

why is my car slow.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why is my car slow.

I got mods in sig..

but I still have the same spark plugs.. maybe I should swap it out for ngktr55's?

I got some stock replacements.. thatd probably be better then whats on there.. and gap them too.. thatd be smart what should I gap the stock spark plugs at?

I feel like the car traps 106ish.. maybe 107..

is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm positive that it is not the driving.. I know I can drive the car well

I got another thread in here on why its running like *** below 3k.. I'm pretty sure its the o2's but they turn off under WOT

I did the FRA, I cleaned out my MAF completely, Removed the screen.. I installed the mac mids.. I got the Y pipe setup that should flow well.. a bullet muffler.. maybe because its banging I'm losing power? would the Y pipe banging against the floorboard create that much of a knock.. and if so would it pull the timing even at WOT? I gona go do the smooth bellow? maybe that would work.. I want to do like 3 to 3.5 though with the bellow.. last time I bought the fernco 3X3 it didnt fit for ****. not around the TB atleast..I'm thinking outloud but I see people with the same mods as me trapping more 3-4mph faster.. I got 10w30 in it now.. would the 5w30 help out a bit more too?

sorry long thread but I'm frustrated and want to get this thing running harder
Old 01-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Launching!

anybody have any ideas... something I'm missing? it doesnt blow any smoke anymore since I installed the new exhaust.. maybe when I installed the headers I didnt do something right?
Old 01-26-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

Do you have any codes? Have you put the LS6 intake on?
Old 01-26-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

what gears do you have, it might just be in your head. drive some v6 or 4 banger around for a day or two then drive your car again you will notice the difference. you might also need to tune the car and try get those rear O2s deleted it might help.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Some cars just run faster or slower than others. I've seen plenty of cars that are much faster than the average, but then again, I've also seen cars that are just slower than the rest no matter what.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you actually run the car to see what you trap? Or are you guessing? When you say "I feel" it seems like you are guessing. Remember, '98's are notorious for putting down lower numbers than later years. What really matters it what it does at the track. If you have run it, post up conditions and times. If not, run it and see how close the "feeling" is. You may be surprised.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

What gears are in the car?

Also, have you actually compared it to anything (I.E. a race or track passes)?

You may have just gotten used to it by now...

-Will
Old 01-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Sometimes i feel the same way, then i just press a little harder on the gas pedal
Old 01-26-2006, 10:28 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could have sworn my car went back to camless after i drove it with the cam in for a week or so. I had just gotten used to the power. It feels the same as it always has now, TOO SLOW.

I took it to the track feeling like it was just as slow as before, and pumped out a 12.0@117.5

Its probably in you head as well. When i first bought the car, i though to myself "How can anything possibly be faster than this?? This thing is crazy fast".
Old 01-27-2006, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
What really matters it what it does at the track.
Exactly. My current 02 Z28 used to be my buddie's. We used to run all the time and I'd beat him in my 00 Z28 with full exhaust by a couple cars. I always told him the car pulled hard and seemed really strong because he was bone stock and never far behind my car that put down 338 rwhp. Then, he had it dynoed somewhere and (although I'm not sure it was completely accurate) and only put down 286 rwhp. I told him that was really weak and we therefore always made fun of him about it.

Until he took it to the track on a hot summer day and started hotlapping it. He then proceeded to take the car to a 13.2 @ 105. Bone stock A4, down to the filter, with VERY balding tires. From then on, not a single person ever kidded him about the car supposedly putting down "only 286 hp". Now that it's mine, with a lid, catback, and maybe a small 3000 stall (sometime), I'm planning on taking it mid 12's with not much done.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Its probably in you head as well. When i first bought the car, i though to myself "How can anything possibly be faster than this?? This thing is crazy fast".

Same here. If we didn't get used to our cars being quick then not as many of us would be dumping cash into making them faster
Old 01-27-2006, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
Until he took it to the track on a hot summer day and started hotlapping it. He then proceeded to take the car to a 13.2 @ 105.
The LS1 runs so much better when its hot!

Until you actually get it to the track, it would be difficult to tell.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SOM98TA
I got mods in sig..

but I still have the same spark plugs.. maybe I should swap it out for ngktr55's?

I got some stock replacements.. thatd probably be better then whats on there.. and gap them too.. thatd be smart what should I gap the stock spark plugs at?

I feel like the car traps 106ish.. maybe 107..

is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm positive that it is not the driving.. I know I can drive the car well

I got another thread in here on why its running like *** below 3k.. I'm pretty sure its the o2's but they turn off under WOT

I did the FRA, I cleaned out my MAF completely, Removed the screen.. I installed the mac mids.. I got the Y pipe setup that should flow well.. a bullet muffler.. maybe because its banging I'm losing power? would the Y pipe banging against the floorboard create that much of a knock.. and if so would it pull the timing even at WOT? I gona go do the smooth bellow? maybe that would work.. I want to do like 3 to 3.5 though with the bellow.. last time I bought the fernco 3X3 it didnt fit for ****. not around the TB atleast..I'm thinking outloud but I see people with the same mods as me trapping more 3-4mph faster.. I got 10w30 in it now.. would the 5w30 help out a bit more too?

sorry long thread but I'm frustrated and want to get this thing running harder
Several points.

1st off you say feels like it traps. Do you actually know??

2nd, if you have a known issue with the engine (hesistation below 3000rpm) this needs sorting before you chase more power. If there's a problem then it most likely will inpeed trap speed.

3rd also some of your mods are not the best in world and many offer little or no HP gain. A smooth bellow will do NOTHING for trap speed and certainly won't cure any issues you are having with the engine. In fact the bellows is one of those "well I sure every bit helps, doesn't it????" kind of mods. Meaning no it probably doesn't, the idea of smoothing out the air flow is nice but for such a short distance in a straight line it makes next to no odds. Changing the oil is also not likely to make that much of an odds. It's good for the eninge to keep fresh oil in it, but it really won't improve you ET's or trap speed.

IMO you need to give your car a darn good service and get it running the way it should be. Then maybe try and get it dyno'd and see what rwhp it is making, this will highlight any major issues. Then try it at the track and see what it can do.

If the dyno shows up an issue then it may need tuning or fixing. If you plan more mods then maybe hold off on the tune until you have them installed. But at least get it dybo'd first to see if it is making what it should be.

Last edited by 300bhp/ton; 01-27-2006 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Take it to the track and see if it is really slow. If so, I'd take a look at that ported MAF. That could easily cause your car to run poorly.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Banned

Maybe one of your sparkplug wires is loose?
Old 01-28-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Dont feel bad. When my car was stock with 2.73's I ran 14.2 YIKES.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

You can't speculate or even have people begin to diagnose why your car is slow until you get some track times. It's as simple as that. The butt-o-meter isn't always accurate and really can't tell you how fast you'll be in the 1/4 mile.