Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Victor Jr????

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Victor Jr????

Has anybody gone from a 90/90 to a single plane intake? My friend is thinking about doing it and I was wondering what kind of results have been seen. Dyno numbers or track times?
Old 02-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Restricted User

I'll take his 90/90

I too have been wondering the same, even more so after seeing Next' pics of a plate kit.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:56 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

I am planning on doing a single plan intake, the Edlebrock is ready to bolt on but the GMPP intake is .6" lower and would have less clearance issues but also needs to be machined for injectors and uses a gasket instead of the rubber port seals.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:42 AM
10 Second Club

I'll have numbers in a few weeks from a 90/90 to a vic jr. there are a ton of threads on this, but not a lot of solid numbers on gains. general concensus is that it will pull from a 90/90 at about 5000 rpm and give up a lot of tq down low. NOT a street car setup.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Once I have heads from ETP I will be testing this as well.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:58 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 383ss
I'll have numbers in a few weeks from a 90/90 to a vic jr. there are a ton of threads on this, but not a lot of solid numbers on gains. general concensus is that it will pull from a 90/90 at about 5000 rpm and give up a lot of tq down low. NOT a street car setup.
Not for a street car unless its a blown car with way too much tq anyway.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Banned

i'll be running the victor jr with a 90mm tb on my daily driven car (about 3 days a week) and i don't see why you would think it is not for a street car? there are thousands if not 10s of thousands of guys daily driving single plane'd cars all over the country (world for that matter) who have no issues of any kind.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to see more info, too!
Old 02-05-2006, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Are they running a Standard LSX 90mm TB or something else?
Old 02-06-2006, 08:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'll be running a 1000 CFM Holley Square bore TB.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by skipperbisket
i'll be running the victor jr with a 90mm tb on my daily driven car (about 3 days a week) and i don't see why you would think it is not for a street car? there are thousands if not 10s of thousands of guys daily driving single plane'd cars all over the country (world for that matter) who have no issues of any kind.
my point was that you would lose a lot of tq down low. if its a 'street' car, your best bet is probably a fast 90/90 or even 78
Old 02-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Banned

until i have seen several conclusive tests on the subject of "a lot" of torque loss down low i would have to say that the subject is purely opinion. if you're talking about a solid roller 408 making 600+ to the wheels with a fast 90/90 (550rwtq at 3500rpm) and you throw the single plane on the exact same setup with the same 90mm tb, and say make a few more peak hp, and probalby more peak torque but drop to 525rwtq at 3500rpm, but are right back at 550 (or possibly more) by 4000-4200rpm i don't see what the "loss" would be, you're still getting the power, you're just getting it in a different (and possibly much more useful) rpm accurance. once i've seen testing showing substantial (substantial being 20-30rwtq on a small motor) loss on the low end i wouldn't see a problem with the single plane at all. i'll be running the Edelbrock Vic. Jr. on my 370" with a 90mm Accufab tb and plan on driving it on the street without any problems or "bad low end" at all.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I was looking at doing a 90.90 setup for my car, but the cost of that setup vs. the victor jr setup with an elbow and a NW 90mm TB isn't all that much, and it would give more even distribution to all cylinders then the fast or stock style intakes do.. a plus for anyone thinking about adding nitrous to a stock bottom end like I am... might help that #7 live longer. I'm going to a th400 with a 4500 and 4.10 gers,so I don't think that I'm gonna see a whole lot of action under 3000 rpm anyway other then idle, so teh down low loss won't mean much to me. Plus, for car shows and whatnot that I do still go to, the look on people's faces when they see it will be cool.

Anyone do one of these setups and use an elbow that dropw the TB and maf low enough so that a stock style airlid could be used? Would there be enough room for a plate style setup like the ones I keep seeing in the nitrous forum all the time? What about the hookup for vacum for the brakes, map sensor and the heater box actuation, do these intakes have provisions on the back for that stuff?

Need more info..... info please!
Old 02-23-2006, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm in the same boat as Steve...if my heads ever show up...

Old 02-23-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I was looking at doing a 90.90 setup for my car, but the cost of that setup vs. the victor jr setup with an elbow and a NW 90mm TB isn't all that much, and it would give more even distribution to all cylinders then the fast or stock style intakes do.. a plus for anyone thinking about adding nitrous to a stock bottom end like I am... might help that #7 live longer. I'm going to a th400 with a 4500 and 4.10 gers,so I don't think that I'm gonna see a whole lot of action under 3000 rpm anyway other then idle, so teh down low loss won't mean much to me. Plus, for car shows and whatnot that I do still go to, the look on people's faces when they see it will be cool.

Anyone do one of these setups and use an elbow that dropw the TB and maf low enough so that a stock style airlid could be used? Would there be enough room for a plate style setup like the ones I keep seeing in the nitrous forum all the time? What about the hookup for vacum for the brakes, map sensor and the heater box actuation, do these intakes have provisions on the back for that stuff?

Need more info..... info please!
I am doing one of these setups. I went with an elbow from intakeelbows.com & an Accufab T\B but since you are on a stock bottom end I would think you were going to stay with a 90mm setup . In this case Fast 90 mm t\b and a Fast 90 elbow might be just fine on top of the Victor Jr , dont know if there will be any clearance issues or not with the stock cowl?? I know intakeelbows.com makes one that clears the stock cowl and you can still use your factory airlid .
Hope this helps.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a lot of things change at the same time but it is still stock cubes.
Big solid roller with big comp.
Engine dyno with BS3
610 hp @ 7200
484 lbs @ 5300
With my old 4L60 trans leaving with a shitty 1.45 it went 10.35 at 131.5
Race weight of about 3200.
Should go 9's with my new light weight coan 350 with a brake and a 5000 stall.
I still have to clean up the cowl a bit but I attached a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Victor Jr????-engine.jpg  

Last edited by Silvr98z28; 02-23-2006 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't use a fast 90mm TB, a NW yes. I was planning on staying 90mm, as the MAF is only 85, and the stock size lid opening smaler then that, no need to have anythign bigger, as it's not gonna be able to move more hten the stock lid diameter can anyway, which I think is still enough. I wanted the setup because it allows more even distribution, and will outperform a fast 90 on teh upper end of things, where you are all teh time you need the power anyway.

The intake elbow from intakelbows.com that I saw a pic of on their site that drops the TB way down low looks like the one that would make this the easist swap, if I have to cut a little of the plastic cowl I'm not gonna lose a ton of sleep over that, as it's only a plastic piece, that I can go to any delaer and order a new one, hell, I may just do that so I have one anyway, or look for a good one on a wrecked car to cut up and save mine. if I have to cut the metal, that's a different story, that's a little harder to put back.

I'm anxious to see any dyno, and moreso track results from anyone that did this setup, I have a h/c setup now that will most likly make about 450 at the tires thru the stick before I put the th400 in, so I have enough power to do what I wanted to do this year, work on the chassis and work on getting weight out of the car, but a swap on the intake system was something I wanted to try to do this year to try to maximize my h/c setup a little further, and would come in handy when I'm ready to add the spray.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Silvr98z28
I had a lot of things change at the same time but it is still stock cubes.
Big solid roller with big comp.
Engine dyno with BS3
610 hp @ 7200
48 lbs @ 5300
With my old 4L60 trans leaving with a shitty 1.45 it went 10.35 at 131.5
Race weight of about 3200.
Should go 9's with my new light weight coan 350 with a brake and a 5000 stall.
I still have to clean up the cowl a bit but I attached a pic.
Nice setup , engine compartment is clean.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I wouldn't use a fast 90mm TB, a NW yes. I was planning on staying 90mm, as the MAF is only 85, and the stock size lid opening smaler then that, no need to have anythign bigger, as it's not gonna be able to move more hten the stock lid diameter can anyway, which I think is still enough. I wanted the setup because it allows more even distribution, and will outperform a fast 90 on teh upper end of things, where you are all teh time you need the power anyway.

The intake elbow from intakelbows.com that I saw a pic of on their site that drops the TB way down low looks like the one that would make this the easist swap, if I have to cut a little of the plastic cowl I'm not gonna lose a ton of sleep over that, as it's only a plastic piece, that I can go to any delaer and order a new one, hell, I may just do that so I have one anyway, or look for a good one on a wrecked car to cut up and save mine. if I have to cut the metal, that's a different story, that's a little harder to put back.

I'm anxious to see any dyno, and moreso track results from anyone that did this setup, I have a h/c setup now that will most likly make about 450 at the tires thru the stick before I put the th400 in, so I have enough power to do what I wanted to do this year, work on the chassis and work on getting weight out of the car, but a swap on the intake system was something I wanted to try to do this year to try to maximize my h/c setup a little further, and would come in handy when I'm ready to add the spray.
You will not need to cut anything on the cowl using their elbow. You should be allright.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:12 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I have an elbow coming from Aaron too, and will be using the Edelbrock single plane intake. I foresee needing to notch the cowl, since the Edelbrock is a wee bit taller than the GMPP. I'll keep y'all post, and will take pics. I will not be lowering the engine or anything like that.

Quick Reply: Victor Jr????