Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

going to the track for first time...what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going to the track for first time...what to expect?

i have a 98z and i just got a 3200 stall w/ some nitto drags and im just wondering what is the correct PSI?? right now i have it set at 30. im heading out to the track for the first time this weekend, so i want to be set up correctly. and also, should i do a good burnout before i step up ? what are some good steps to prepare before you line up, i know theres tire pressure, burn out...anything else? need you help guys, thanks
Old 02-22-2006, 02:11 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

1. drive around the water box if possible.
2. 18 psi in Nittos works well
3. Burnout not required on a sticky track, most guys just peel out to get the gravel off of the tires.
4. On the line, depending on the traction at your track, you should try footbrake/stalling the car up just before it starts to move, or just try stabbing the throttle off idle. Some cars and tracks work better than others. Gotta find that sweet spot and avoid spinning your tires.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before any of that I would sit and watch some people race.
See what happens and what you should be doing.
When you first get to the track the first thing you do is fill out a form (bring a pen or pencil) and turn it in to receive your # on your car.
After that you can line up behind the other cars and wait your turn to run.
Follow all of the instructions that you are given as you are pulling up to the line.
Then when you get ready to race start doing what nineball suggested (I would start a little higher than 18psi though...you won't be used to how that feels at all)