Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear battery main fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear battery main fuse?

i run the battery in the back and i was woundering if anyone uses a main battery fuse. i have one 0 gauge cable running from the battery to the switch and i would want the fuse to be there for the whole system. every electrical circuit in the car is fused in every way and i would like to find a way to do this for safty reasons. i know i could possibly use a sound system fuse but i wanted to find something specificaly for this application. or even a breaker would work.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Restricted User

I made this for my 98 TA. The fuse is a classT 200A

I put this in the stock bat. tray, theres a lexen cover on it now.

Dale
Old 03-03-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 76LS1BIRD
I made this for my 98 TA. The fuse is a classT 200A

I put this in the stock bat. tray, theres a lexen cover on it now.

Dale

where could i get something like that?
Old 04-23-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have to have a fuse or circuit breaker within 12-18 inches of the battery. This is an essential safety device. Imagine if the long positive wire gets rubbed and shorts on the cars metal. With no fuse the wire between the short and the battery will heat up and catch on fire. Then the car will burn up. The battery contains a huge amount of power.

Even the cables up front use a fusable link, which is like a fuse, as it's cheaper and GM want's to save money.

The fuse size needs to be matched up to the wire size, but a 200-250 amp should be fine.

76LS1BIRD fused the ground, but I'm not entirely sure that's good. I'm wondering if he tested it by shorting the positive cable. I think I would be a bit scared shorting it. If the fuse were on the positive side I would NOT be afraid of shorting the wire. With his setup the battery my overheat before the fuse burns through, but I can't be sure.

Now that I look at his fuse, I wonder if any burning fuse material would set the carpet on fire.