Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I get rid of this box?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I get rid of this box?

I think I remember hearing that it controls ur power options, but I don't have any power options, so can I get rid of it?
Attached Thumbnails Can I get rid of this box?-box.jpg   Can I get rid of this box?-box-2.jpg   Can I get rid of this box?-box-3.jpg  
Old 03-03-2006, 06:13 PM
10 Second Club

From what I've been told, if you have no power options and no factory alarm you can remove it. I'm going back in after mine this spring, hopefully I can pull out a few more pounds of wiring with it.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
From what I've been told, if you have no power options and no factory alarm you can remove it. I'm going back in after mine this spring, hopefully I can pull out a few more pounds of wiring with it.
Thanks dude, u always got an answer for my questions and damn quick with it too!!! I really appreciate it!!!

Hey, if you can, take a look at my other thread I made in here too and let me know what that is if you know, thanks again!
Old 03-03-2006, 06:30 PM
10 Second Club

No problem...it's winter and I have nothing to do. -10* with the wind chill tonight, not even worth going out to drink. lol.

As for the other thread. I'm not sure what it is, however, that line runs to a vacume canister mounted down under the frame (kinda by the bottom of the coolant tank). When I pulled it apart I had asumed it was all for the HVAC since it ran back to the dash, I left it in since I didn't pull the heater. I believe the other side runs to the back of the intake by the map sensor. If you pulled your HVAC I would just cap it at the outlet on the intake.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
No problem...it's winter and I have nothing to do. -10* with the wind chill tonight, not even worth going out to drink. lol.

As for the other thread. I'm not sure what it is, however, that line runs to a vacume canister mounted down under the frame (kinda by the bottom of the coolant tank). When I pulled it apart I had asumed it was all for the HVAC since it ran back to the dash, I left it in since I didn't pull the heater. I believe the other side runs to the back of the intake by the map sensor. If you pulled your HVAC I would just cap it at the outlet on the intake.
Aight, cool, thanks man, i'll have to trace it to where it goes and then cap it back there, that's what I figured it was, but wasn't positive.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

If that is the box on the pass side mounted down on the kick panel, I know it has the "dinger" in it and also makes noises when using keyless entry remote to lock/unlock. I left mine in. Your other thread I agree with GM, if all hvac is gone, like mine, take it out.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Racer8102
If that is the box on the pass side mounted down on the kick panel, I know it has the "dinger" in it and also makes noises when using keyless entry remote to lock/unlock. I left mine in. Your other thread I agree with GM, if all hvac is gone, like mine, take it out.
Cool, it'll get rid of that annoying dinger, woohoo, hehe!!

I'll keep it around just in case it gets rid of something that I don't want it too and throw it back in if need be.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actrually your car won't start without it. it also ties into your VATS (vehicle anti theft system). So leave it in.
so unless your rewiring your ENTIRE car and disabling the VATS, leave it.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

That's what I thought when I was thinkign of pulling mine but I was told that is not the case when I started a thread about it. I guess you could always unplug it and see if the car starts.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why not just disable vats? the typical thief won't know how to even get your car out of park HAHA
Old 03-04-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chpmnsws6
why not just disable vats? the typical thief won't know how to even get your car out of park HAHA
Hahaha, don't think any thief would know how to even start my car anyways, it's not on the column anymore, the ignition cylinder went bad, so I rigged it up onto a button.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

it shouldnt be needed , its the body control computer. power option,radio,interior lamps,im not sure if it ties into the electric trunk pop or not though .
Old 03-04-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by badpewter-z
it shouldnt be needed , its the body control computer. power option,radio,interior lamps,im not sure if it ties into the electric trunk pop or not though .
I don't have one of those either, so that's ok, heehe!