Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey Madman am I screwed with my Spohn TA?

Old 03-07-2006, 12:15 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hey Madman am I screwed with my Spohn TA?

Hey Madman i've got a question for you since my car is about 80% complete now and I need to start thinking about rear suspension so i can put this sunofabitch on the bumper when it's done...

Motor is a 383 LT1, forged everything, AFR 227's, single plane Victor E, solid roller from secondstreetspeed (big nitrous cam over .680 lift i/e) Gen VII, blah blah blah, with an ATI TH400, a brake, and a 4000 stall converter....

Here's my issue and i know you wanted me to get a set of rear AFCO double adjustables for the back, I've got 6 cyl camaro rear springs, a wolfe racecraft single swaybar, and right now i've got CE rear shocks that suck but i'll replace those with the afco's....Panhard rod is an HPM unit, and so are the LCA's (standard boxed lca's) well here's my problem. I've got a spohn torque arm. I DID order the one that attaches to the large tubular g-load brace with the built in driveshaft loop with a spherical rod end. So it's metal to metal since i don't care about noise. It's adjustable obviously for pinion angle so that's good..... IF i could do it all over i would order your torque arm that is obvious but i can't see selling a part that barely has 1000 miles on it. What is the difference in your arm that nobody else has???? I know you advertise it as being the toughest on the market and can survive anything but am i okay with the spohn until i either bend it or snap it????? Cause if that happens then problem solves itself right???? I call you and you send me your T/A, done deal.... i'm just wondering am i gonna be able to plant these tires coming out on 300 hit and then dumping another 100 2 seconds into my run???? thanks man...
Old 03-07-2006, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

If the suspension is set up right you will not have a problem.
From what I have seen MM's TA has an adjustable point up front (where the G'load brace is located).
I run the same TA as you have mentioned but I might put down a whopping 310RWHP but it works!
If you look at the TAs they are all the same, the only difference is if they have adjustments at the front.
Why not give it a shot and see if it works instead of just assuming it wont work.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:37 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You won't be screwed by the torque arm that's for sure. We've proven that it works great all the way to Harlan's 8.27 pass. I think we've abused Spohn's torque arm design more than any other and it still performs very well. The only difference you'll find is in the design between Madman's torque arm and Spohn's setup. For the money, I'd play with other stuff before even getting concerned about a torque arm.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DERTY
For the money, I'd play with other stuff before even getting concerned about a torque arm.
I agree.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:15 PM
9 Second Club

thanks for the replies guys. Yeah i'll give it a shot. I think what's holding me back is the shocks (CE 3 way adj) that suck.... I'll get the double adjustable afco's and set the pinion angle to what madman recommends... if i break the spohn then i'll upgrade then...
Old 03-07-2006, 01:55 PM
The Bull

I doubt you'll break it. Here's the comments I made to a few others who questioned it's design. The original model was the only one that ever had issues and that was more than 4 years ago that it was redesigned to the piece that you currently have and that we've been running for some time.

The Spohn Torque Arm was on my car and on Harlan's car for well over 300 passes total between the two cars. Another was used on Kevin's car as well. None of the cars showed any signs of issues, damage, breakage, chassis flex, floorpan damage or bolt damage to the 4 bolts that hold it in place. All three high HP moderately heavy cars with transbrake launches.

Even with two broken driveshafts to test the front loop and rear loop, it has never been an issue on any car that has had one. At 150,000 PSI of tensile strength and 5000 to 8000 pounds of shear (depending on grade) on 4 bolts it would be some pretty exceptional circumstances to cause them to break. Not saying that it can't break, .... And I know that we're not the only ones that have used Steve Spohn's parts in fast cars before.

Over 300 passes on one torque arm with over 7000 street miles and a few low 8 second timeslips and close to 100 passes on the other torque arm, a few street miles as well and some high 8 low 9 timeslips pretty much defeats the one or two passes before it breaks. It's very well proven that it works beyond all speculation.

I forgot to add that I blasted a dead deer on the freeway at 75 MPH (long story). Rolled over the top of the deer and hit it full force with the torque arm brace. No bolts broke and it worked fine even after that. It did buckle my floopan pretty good on one side. Nothing a BFH couldn't handle. Just a little added durability testing.

Maybe that will give you an extra warm fuzzy feeling about it. Don't sweat it. Just make sure you tighten everything up nicely when you install it and it will be fine.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:09 PM
9 Second Club

Already installed and it's nice and tight...... thanks for the vote of confidence.. i didn't know they had seen low 8's with one.. that makes me feel better...
Old 03-08-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
Already installed and it's nice and tight...... thanks for the vote of confidence.. i didn't know they had seen low 8's with one.. that makes me feel better...

seeing as your only gonna hit 11s on the spray u should be good

MUHAHAAH....

- Crash
Old 03-08-2006, 04:22 PM
The Bull

WOW, lol
Old 03-08-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DERTY
WOW, lol

i know him... its cool... he will have something a lot more entertaining to say back
Old 03-11-2006, 12:04 AM
9 Second Club

Yeah show us your last timeslip... i'm sure that will be amusing.....

bet the scanner would laugh at you if you dared try and scan a picture of it...
Old 03-11-2006, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
Yeah show us your last timeslip... i'm sure that will be amusing.....

bet the scanner would laugh at you if you dared try and scan a picture of it...

it didnt laugh... it cried bloodstained tears of disappointment !

Search this Thread