Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron Block....Spring is in the air.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iron Block....Spring is in the air.

Okay, going to an Iron block means more weight up front. I currently have the Hal Drag Springs/QA1's up front, but that was with my LS1 motor, now I'm going to the iron block and forced induction. More weight, more spring compression could hurt overall spring rate, and effect weight transfer at launch.....I'm being longwinded, YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN IF YOUR ON THIS FORUM!!!

I'm afraid the added weight will negate the Hal spring on the front end, so maybe an LT1 Fbody stock spring would work better?? Opinions?
Old 03-13-2006, 12:52 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in the exact same boat man. I bought my QA1's used with springs already on them and the guy I bought them from had an iron block, whereas I was aluminum. I just adjusted them down to lower the front end. I'm not sure what springs I have (they are QA1 springs FWIW), but the car hooked awesome on them. I think (And I could be very wrong here) if you just tighten them up to bring ride height up you should be fine. I do not think it changes spring rate much. Now the increased weight can change stuff too, just from the weight distribution. I'll have my FI 408 in around mid april, so we'll see. If you haven't already, you could remove some weight up front to offset the new motor. Lightweight battery, remove sway bar, bumper support, etc.

I'd like to hear some experienced responses on this as well!
Old 03-13-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

I went from QA1's to Strange DA up front and love them. You wouldn't know I had an Iron block as fast as the front comes up. I had a feeling the QA1's were going to be too bouncy, but never tested them out.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fast SS -- I thought you were going to sell your car? Glad to see you changed your mind.

I put my 6.0L in last October. Only ran it a few times, really didn't see much difference. I did have to turn up the springs about an inch.

Good luck. Are you going to have your car running this year??

Davaid
Old 03-13-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, its looking like this will be the year. Nothing to silly, little 402 stroker and either a D-1 Procharger or a Turbocharger. I just keep getting side tracked. I have more money then time right now....which is a good thing of course. I bought a new house, with a big garage, so I'm out of excuses on why I can't pull the motor. And the temp is coming up, so "its too cold" will also not fly. I'm also leaving truck driving, and have decided to work for a major trucking company in thier safety department....so now I even lost the excuse of not having any time to work on it. Barring some sort of set back, or disaster, it should be done this summer. But who knows. The bastard spinning a bearing with only 14,400 mile on the clock really pissed me off, after I spent $12k two weeks before on the tranny, suspension, rearend, wheels and ****.

I'm gonna just play around with the settings, and adjust them up a little. Will see.