Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody using Kuhmo 165 80 R15 skinnies?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody using Kuhmo 165 80 R15 skinnies?

Do you like them? $30 per tire seems cheap at 130mph....any other front runner radials out? TIA.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onfire
Do you like them? $30 per tire seems cheap at 130mph....any other front runner radials out? TIA.
Those were the only tires I could find around here, so I got them and I like them just fine. They seem to be a good tire and don't look too bad either.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I was looking at those to match up with the ET radial I want to go with this year. Do the tires seem to support the weight o.k. and whatnot? If so, then I'll probably go with them myself.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm on my second pair if that tells you anything. they do good in the wet and dry, are fairly light, look good, and don't flex to bad around corners.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Coal Mining Director

They are load rated at 87T. Which is 1201lbs each. Typical fbod shouldn't be more than 1100 on each tire...ok there. Something about a $30 tire tire at 130mph sounds bad...but if they work....what the hay. The only other radial I've found is a BFG 155 80 15 but it's only a 83 rating....1074lbs each....MT's front radial is only 951lbs each.....looks like Kuhmo is the strongest so far.

Any other users?
Old 03-19-2006, 12:03 AM
FormerVendor

don't use them on a drag skinny wheel. I believe T-rating is ~105mph fwiw. They are hell on wheel shells.

I can tell the difference from the guys going against our recommendations of using them on our wheels. If anyone is using them on our Bogart wheels, it certainly is against anything that I have mentioned to them during any tire considerations.

Almost all failures I've seen have been the direct result of the radial front tires. Don't be cheap on tires....especially when they are the ones that help steer your car down the road.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:07 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by steve10
don't use them on a drag skinny wheel. I believe T-rating is ~105mph fwiw. They are hell on wheel shells.
I disagree, they work great as a skinny radial.

T rating is for 118mph, and I have trapped 126 with them no problem.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:34 AM
FormerVendor

The rating is too low for our cars. The rating is an approximation, max limit does correlate with tire pressures. The rating is also listed under normal conditions using specific tire pressures. Many are inflating their tires to 40-50 psi's...even higher. Do each of you still think the tire is still going to perform the same to its rated value? Do what you want with them. They do not work well with a skinny wheel.

I work with our wheels on a daily basis and see the results that occur with the use radial front tires on runners. Regardless of the few mph differences, you’re over the rating of your tire...as well as many other typical F-body racers. These ratings are set for a reason.

This rating has a factor of safety built in...So you know you’re exceeding the speed of your tires…how can anyone feel comfortable with that? A front tire to boot! How can any of you recommend a component to another potential user knowing the tire is not safe or rated for the vehicle? I certainly would not want to race next to someone whom is using a set of tires that are not safe to use.

Regardless of the rating, as I have mentioned, they are hell on the runners...they create a much higher stress on the aluminum. The wheels I see damaged are ones typically using radial tires on runners.

Are you guys using them because they are inexpensive? I can think of other areas where I’d rather save a few dollars on. We are only talking about the difference in price of ~100.00 total. Save your money elsewhere. It’s your decision ultimately, do what you want. Save those tires for the VW’s and Geo’s, that’s my opinion.

Last edited by steve10; 03-19-2006 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:09 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Steve, if these aren't suitable, do you have a radial that will work? I wanted to run the ET radial on the back this year, and I've been down the road of radials on one end and not on the other.. it's not a good feeling. If you have another radial front tire that will work, please let us know! Alot of guys are wanting to go to radials simply so they can match up to the et radial rear.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:06 AM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by steve10
The rating is too low for our cars. The rating is an approximation, max limit does correlate with tire pressures. The rating is also listed under normal conditions using specific tire pressures. Many are inflating their tires to 40-50 psi's...even higher. Do each of you still think the tire is still going to perform the same to its rated value? Do what you want with them. They do not work well with a skinny wheel.

I work with our wheels on a daily basis and see the results that occur with the use radial front tires on runners. Regardless of the few mph differences, you’re over the rating of your tire...as well as many other typical F-body racers. These ratings are set for a reason.

This rating has a factor of safety built in...So you know you’re exceeding the speed of your tires…how can anyone feel comfortable with that? A front tire to boot! How can any of you recommend a component to another potential user knowing the tire is not safe or rated for the vehicle? I certainly would not want to race next to someone whom is using a set of tires that are not safe to use.

Regardless of the rating, as I have mentioned, they are hell on the runners...they create a much higher stress on the aluminum. The wheels I see damaged are ones typically using radial tires on runners.

Are you guys using them because they are inexpensive? I can think of other areas where I’d rather save a few dollars on. We are only talking about the difference in price of ~100.00 total. Save your money elsewhere. It’s your decision ultimately, do what you want. Save those tires for the VW’s and Geo’s, that’s my opinion.

It's not about money. The only other street legal tire that I've found is the MT Sportsman Front 8ply that's rated at 1450lbs each. Obviously, a very strong tire that's sized for a 4" rim. But how stable will it be with a MT Drag Radial on the back. MT told me I could "get by".......just trying to match something with ET Street radials on the back.

What do you suggest?
Old 03-19-2006, 11:42 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I ran some 165R tires, the VW ones rated for 44 psi, for several years without a problem.

I currently run 8 ply MT Sportman DOT's up front, and will be running 325 DR's in back. They are heavy but my car is still pretty heavy.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:53 AM
FormerVendor

I do not have any other suggetions. Many folks do use the radial tires...I've always wondered if they were doing it for the cost or just not knowing issue with the wheels. Just because many use it, doesn't mean it is safe. There are many guys still running their stock studs on weld prostars and spacers wheras the studs barely pass halfway through the wheel. I suppose it comes down to what you feel is your comfort zone.

Regardless of the issue of if you can find one that is safe, they are harder on a runner. As mentioned, just about all of the wheels we've seen back have been from users using radial front tires on their runner. I believe many of the radials aren't even meant for the small wheel size...I believe typical wheel sizes meant for it is 4.5-6.5.

The MT sportsman is the best choice for a DOT legal tire considering the alternatives. It should work fine with the rear radial tire.

I'm not here trying to stir up who's right or who's wrong, I'm merely pointing out issues with running a radial tire up front. I haven't seen a skinny radial that meets the needs of the typical F-body.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by onfire
It's not about money. The only other street legal tire that I've found is the MT Sportsman Front 8ply that's rated at 1450lbs each. Obviously, a very strong tire that's sized for a 4" rim. But how stable will it be with a MT Drag Radial on the back. MT told me I could "get by".......just trying to match something with ET Street radials on the back.

What do you suggest?

They also don't last on the street AT. I personally cnnot afford to replace a 100 a piece tire every 5k milrd when 30 a tire every 30k miles is all thats needed. No one around here has had a blow-out, even trapping upwards of 130 and i've had mine up over 150 on the street a few times with no issues. I have no issues with 100 a tire, but it needs to last a bit longer then a tire thats less then a 1/3 of its price
Old 03-19-2006, 12:23 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

chpm do you mean the et fronts or the sportsman fronts?
Old 03-19-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

I had the sportsmans. I'd hate to try a real race tire on the street
Old 03-19-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
I believe he's talking about the Sportsmans. When I was shopping for skinnies I was told to stay away from the sportsmans becasue they don't last very long at all.

I've been running 165R15s (44psi rated ones) on the street for almost two seasons. No issues at all. I think I'm going to switch to a DS-2. I know I will burn them up quick but the weight saving should be worth it.
I've also been thinking about buying a set of race skinnies and running a DS-2 also
Old 03-19-2006, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

I believe he's talking about the Sportsmans. When I was shopping for skinnies I was told to stay away from the sportsmans becasue they don't last very long at all.

I've been running 165R15s (44psi rated ones) on the street for almost two seasons. No issues at all. I think I'm going to switch to a DS-2 though. I know I will burn them up quick but the weight saving should be worth it.

Edit: he beat me to it.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

looks like the server is going screwy again... delete this post once fixed boss
Old 03-19-2006, 12:40 PM
10 Second Club

lol...that must of been because I edited my post.

I was considering running my Prostar/165R combo on the street and poping on some Magnums and DS-2s when I head out to the track. I would probrably end up running the Magnum combo all the time though. I only drive a few thousand miles a year now.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:52 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I had et fronts, and the sportsmans are going to last a lot longer.

Quick Reply: Anybody using Kuhmo 165 80 R15 skinnies?