Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Negative panhard rod angle

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Negative panhard rod angle

I'm getting ready to either build or buy some brackets to drop my panhard rod down to where the rod is level and will run through the center of my wheelie bars. Is there anymore of a bad side effect to having a slightly negative angle vs. the positive angle that it has from the factory?? I was going to drop it about 2 to 2-1/2 inches to make it level but at this point I can still only use my top two adjustments on my wheelie bar brackets, any lower and I'll be sitting on the panhard rod. However, if I drop the panhard rod into a slightly negative angle I'll be able to use more of the adjustments on wheelie bars. I know BMR makes a complete panhard rod relocation kit but this also includes the upper rod which I'm not even running. Is there anyplace that sells just an adjustable bracket and the hardware and is a slightly negative angle bad?
Thanks
Old 03-31-2006, 07:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see where that would have any effect. Basically all the panard rod does is allow you to center the rearend in the car.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need the bar as level as possible. Any time the bar moves out of a level plane the rear end moves side to side. Negative(if the housing end is lower) will drive the rear towards the driver side when the rear moves up. On launch when the rear drops out of the car it will move the rear towards the passenger. You will need to fab up some brackets because I havent seen any body making them for resale.

225-343-9029
Old 03-31-2006, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Is there a real need for anadjustable panhard rod? I can understand adjustable lca's to center the wheels in the well, but is there a real problem with these cars, needing to be centered side to side? Sorry for the dumb-sounding question, I just don't understand...Someone enlighten me...Thanks
Old 03-31-2006, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The rears are not centered from the factory. Plus if you lower or raise the cars the rear needs to be recentered.

225-343-9029
Old 03-31-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jshiver
Is there a real need for anadjustable panhard rod? I can understand adjustable lca's to center the wheels in the well, but is there a real problem with these cars, needing to be centered side to side? Sorry for the dumb-sounding question, I just don't understand...Someone enlighten me...Thanks
after market rear ends also, mine was all out of wack when i put my 9 inch in
Old 03-31-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Actually, BMR does make an Upper Panhard Bar Relocation Kit that is designed to lower the upper bar for large and dual over the axle exhaust setups. By nature of how it's designed (new bracket on DS) it does also lower the Lower Panhard Bar. They claim that the kit retains correct suspension geometry.

It may lower enought to clear your wheelies? The kit ain't cheap though at around $270

From Thunder Racing Site:

This kit replaces the upper panhard rod support on 1993-2002 F-Body (Camaro and Firebird) applications and relocates the panhard rod allowing enough room for up to dual 3" exhaust routing over the axle. Heavy duty tubular upper panhard rod support mounts in the original panhard rod location. New heavy duty brackets bolt to existing mounting holes and lower the panhard rod while maintaining the correct geometry. No welding or drilling required. Available standard in your color choice of red or black powdercoat, additional colors also available by special order.

-Jay-
Old 03-31-2006, 03:00 PM
Launching!

thanks guys..I knew there was a logical answer..