Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

if you remove the airbag?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default if you remove the airbag?

if the passenger side airbag is removed does the light come on? anyway to trick it to still check the driverside and go off? their not read through the pcm are they?
thanks
Old 04-16-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you remove the pass bag it will throw the light and disable the system. I just popped the led for the air bag light out of the cluster.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

they cant be checked with an obd2 plug in test can they? how about a rsitor or jumper to fool the self test diagnosis?
Old 04-16-2006, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

They cannot be checked, DMV scans the VCM not the BCM which controls the airbags. Just pop the lights and you're good to go. You'll need to get rid of the airbag light and the service vehicle light.

g
Old 04-16-2006, 02:50 PM
10 Second Club

Alot of people say to use a 2 ohm resistor. Seems to be hit or miss though.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ill have to look at a schematic. it would just be some voltage or resistance that it looks for to see the air bag. i want to keep my driver bag operating but screw the passenger one. anyone one now of a wiring schematic?
Old 07-23-2006, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZDOG
ill have to look at a schematic. it would just be some voltage or resistance that it looks for to see the air bag. i want to keep my driver bag operating but screw the passenger one. anyone one now of a wiring schematic?
agree...is there a way?
Old 07-24-2006, 01:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nobody?
Old 07-24-2006, 08:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Daniel, you can easily stop the lamp from illuminating by shutting the lamp feed wire off from your car in about 5 minutes.

Drop the glove box, there you'll find a 24 pin connector. It is the brown B1 wire that you can clip. Look for the connector that is bright yellow.

I'd imagine the LS1 is the same, but not certain as I haven't looked at the schematic for that. I know that LS1's have changed their dash circuitry to simplify design which this procedure may not work.

A resistor or similar load circuit could used if you know the resistance value of the bag you're removing (don't measure this on the bag for obvious reasons).

I'd imagine (each bag is run in parallel so that if one was disabled or faulty, the other one would operate(logical assumption). A load substation i.e. resistor really wouldn't be necessary to retain a fully functional system (minus what you remove of course). The reason that you'd want this is so the lamp itself is still functioning. When you clip the wire that I've mentioned, obviously you will not have a visual check that you SRS is operating correctly. I haven't looked at the schematic lately; this is all off of memory. I have always removed both bags so this was of little concern.

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 07-24-2006 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Here ya go cheap, simple, and easy. Cover the LED with electrical tape.

I do not know how these guys saying pop the light got it to work but someone gave me that advice and when i did it, my oil pressure gauge and my temp gauge stop working as well

So I had to get a new cluster. Trust me tape it.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2 0hm resistor works! nuff said
Old 08-09-2006, 07:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Getav8
Here ya go cheap, simple, and easy. Cover the LED with electrical tape.

I do not know how these guys saying pop the light got it to work but someone gave me that advice and when i did it, my oil pressure gauge and my temp gauge stop working as well

So I had to get a new cluster. Trust me tape it.
This is what I ended up doing as well. Everyone said to break out the airbag light. I did that and the SVS light ("SERVICE VEHICLE SOON") comes on as a failsafe. I was afraid to break that one out as I did not know what would come on next as a failsafe. Does it just keep on going until you have NO lights left in the cluster?? DAMNED N.H.T.S.A. *****!!
Old 08-09-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dailydriver
This is what I ended up doing as well. Everyone said to break out the airbag light. I did that and the SVS light ("SERVICE VEHICLE SOON") comes on as a failsafe. I was afraid to break that one out as I did not know what would come on next as a failsafe. Does it just keep on going until you have NO lights left in the cluster?? DAMNED N.H.T.S.A. *****!!
No, I just popped the sevice vehicle and air bag bulbs from removing the bags, and the abs inop, low trac, and brake bulbs from removing abs and tcs

Quick Reply: if you remove the airbag?