Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight loss - Removing pass. side air bag? Search is broke!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Weight loss - Removing pass. side air bag? Search is broke!

I'm trying to get some weight off this pig. Can anyone direct me to a link or give me some tips on removing the pass side air bag? I've tried searching for threads but I think the search is busted! Is the "dash plate" an integral part of the bag itself? In other words, if I remove it (the air bag) will I have to get something to cover the hole?

Thanks for any help,

Eric
Old 01-16-2006, 12:50 AM
Launching!

No the airbag comes out from behind the plate. There will be no hole in the dash. I removed the whole dash and took everything out, I'm sure if you have the patience you could remove the glove compartment door and reach up through the wires to the bolts holding it on. Just make sure you disconnect the battery, take out the airbag fuse, and disconnect the bright yellow wire under the dash going to the bag itself(you can't miss it) good luck!
Old 01-16-2006, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You will have to remove the dash to get the pass airbag out as there is not enough room to get it out from under the glove boix unless you can cut it up into pieces which would be a pain.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

heres what it will look like after its removed ....my car had thew pass bag allready popped when i bought it so made easy to get out.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...Picture446.jpg
the only thing is if your airbag cover might get messed up if try prying it up so its best to remove dash.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Thanks for the help guys. I was being lazy and hoping to get away with not having to take the dash out! PITA!!
Old 04-04-2006, 10:09 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was about to delete this from my list of old subscribed threads and then I thought I'd contribute a comment:

I just did this last weekend and it is a bitch. You have to pull the whole dash out to get the friggin' airbag to slide out. Unless you are desperate to lose the 30 pounds, I can think of much easier mods to do. I guess I trimmed 40 pounds total if you count that fact that I did not put the jute "blanket" back under the dash and all the bolts/screws related to holding the airbag bracket in that I of course did not reinstall. Still, it was bitch to get that 40# out of there.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the air bag ways 30lbs? colnels sticky has it at 13.5???? if its thirty mines coming out!
Old 04-25-2006, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

I can have the dash in and out in under 2 hours. It really not that hard!
Old 04-25-2006, 09:59 PM
9 Second Club

I can't see that thing weighing 13.5lbs.... it's encased in a solid steel bracket and weighs a frikin ton.... it is a PITA to get it out..... you gotta take the dash out thought cause some of the bolts you won't be able to get to AFAIK without the dash out.... The dash isn't that bad on mine but that might be since i've had it out a few times and know where to look. the 1st time sucked *****.... but it was worth it with all the crap i took out of there...
Old 04-25-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
I can't see that thing weighing 13.5lbs.... it's encased in a solid steel bracket and weighs a frikin ton.... it is a PITA to get it out..... you gotta take the dash out thought cause some of the bolts you won't be able to get to AFAIK without the dash out.... The dash isn't that bad on mine but that might be since i've had it out a few times and know where to look. the 1st time sucked *****.... but it was worth it with all the crap i took out of there...

I pulled both air bags and the HVAC while I had the dash out.
The passenger side bag won,t come out without removing the dash and if your going to go that far make sure you get rid of as much stuff under the dash as possible.
Its very time consuming and be sure you have a buddy to help you when the main part of the dash is coming out because the weight of the passenger air bag will crack the dash if its not supported right when its coming out.
Once you have all that heavy useless crap out from behind the dash its very easy to pull it if you ever need to again.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:32 AM
11 Second Club

First time I did it was 8 hours, by myself. PITA. Second time I did it (on a friend's SS), it took 4.5 hours with help.

No damn way it's 30 lbs. Try half that with the bracket. Weighed it on an accurate scale, and it came out to 14 lbs.

I now have the room to hide a small bottle up in the dash later on if I choose to.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine weighed about 14-15 lbs. The drivers side is aroud 5 lbs.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

From what I have read the passenger bag in LS1 cars does only weigh about 13-14 lbs but the passenger bag on LT1 cars does weigh around 30lbs. I took mine out of my other car and the bag and bracket were heavy as hell, somehow I managed to get the bag out without taking the dash out but I don't know how. That car had been wrecked and worked on before I bought it so some peices could have been missing, because if I remember right it only took me about 30 minutes to an hour to take it out.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:49 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Yeah, I keep on forgetting to weigh mine but it seems a heck of a lot more like 30 lbs than 14.

GM must have gone with a lighter bag/bracket in the LS1 cars. The one out of my '94 was a bitch to remove and heavy as hell to juggle while pulling the dash apart.

Quick Reply: Weight loss - Removing pass. side air bag? Search is broke!