Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NHRA Rules Help... Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NHRA Rules Help... Please

I've read the rule book, front to back, twice...lol I'm still having issues w/ a couple of items. The bulk I have covered. I'm preparing for upper 10s. 10.7-10.8 @ mid-upper 120s. My first question is concerning the Clutch/flywheel. Currently I'm using the RAM VDS 910 w/ billet flywheel. I'm changing to the Spec 3+ and retaining the billet flywheel. I'm having issues determining the need for the flywheel shield. Can I run the universal SFI 6.1, 6.2, 6.3? It seems like I read where it said SFI 9.1 blanket, and refers to spec 1.1 and 1.2 clutches, yet no such blanket exists except the universal fit for auto trans? I switched to the 3+ to get a little more streetability. It's a single disk clutch and I'm running Nitrous. I need basically to know if I even need the flywheel shield? I read in there also about a mid-plate or shield between the trans and engine?? I'm so confused...
Old 06-11-2006, 06:36 PM
9 Second Club

I'm running mid 10's and I have a full trans sheild. It's the CSR. I have an A3 and I'm pretty sure I don't need it for the times I'm running but I got it just for safety because I cracked my transmission housing when I broke my driveshaft when I had nitrous on the car and it scared the **** out of me when I saw that crack the way it did.
I'm curious to see if your set up requires it.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I think you need the SFI approved bellhousing, the one that mcloud makes.. the one with the plate that goes on the block before the flywheel to contain the entire thing in the event of a failure.

And at the speed level you are planning to be at, it's a damn good idea.

I also went with a carbon fiber CSR shiled with my th400 setup that's going in, not because I need it, but because I have seen what happens if the tranny decides to explode... it like to take out the headers, floor board, dash, console, and the driver like an anti personell landmine when they let go... not good.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MT POKT
I've read the rule book, front to back, twice...lol I'm still having issues w/ a couple of items. The bulk I have covered. I'm preparing for upper 10s. 10.7-10.8 @ mid-upper 120s. My first question is concerning the Clutch/flywheel. Currently I'm using the RAM VDS 910 w/ billet flywheel. I'm changing to the Spec 3+ and retaining the billet flywheel. I'm having issues determining the need for the flywheel shield. Can I run the universal SFI 6.1, 6.2, 6.3? It seems like I read where it said SFI 9.1 blanket, and refers to spec 1.1 and 1.2 clutches, yet no such blanket exists except the universal fit for auto trans? I switched to the 3+ to get a little more streetability. It's a single disk clutch and I'm running Nitrous. I need basically to know if I even need the flywheel shield? I read in there also about a mid-plate or shield between the trans and engine?? I'm so confused...
you need a blow proof bellhousing , i think Mcloud is the only one who makes the correct one for LS1 cars,
Old 06-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

mcloud is the only one that makes one for an ls1 car/t56 setup.. that is correct.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies. I agree I need to do something. I need to make sure to get the right equipment on there. So, the Mcleod is SFI legal? Which sponsors keep it?

Thanks again everyone!
Old 06-11-2006, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is legal to begin with.
If you cut for the bleeder screw or headers it is not legal anymore