Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the next weak link?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 07:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's the next weak link?

I've been modding my car the non traditional route and preparing the driveline 1st. I know this is the expensive route, but I hope it will also be rewarding.

I have a 2000 6M WS6 with the mods listed in my sig. I just ordered a PST 3.5" Aluminum DS and Spohn CM Poly LCAs.

1) What do you think my next week link is?

2) Am I missing any crucial mods before I go for more HP?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

If you plan on running sticky tires, you'll need a 12 bolt or better.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

I have that in my sig. I have the 33 spline HD Eaton
Old 06-20-2006, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

i'd guess the transmission, any mounts that are not poly/solid, then maybe the clutch (even though you have one you'll find out if it is enough!). frame of the car
Old 06-21-2006, 06:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Axle studs I think.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:17 AM
11 Second Club

I'd say your clutch is the next to upgrade. Your tranny (t56) is pretty strong. I have friends locally that spray the **** out of their ls1's and have gone low 11's to low 10's with the stock tranny. Spec clutches are nice...... well atleast for Fords they are. Don't know if they are the same for GM cars. But I'm sure someone will chime in and tell you what's a good clutch to get. -Mark
Old 06-21-2006, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
I'd say your clutch is the next to upgrade. Your tranny (t56) is pretty strong. I have friends locally that spray the **** out of their ls1's and have gone low 11's to low 10's with the stock tranny. Spec clutches are nice...... well atleast for Fords they are. Don't know if they are the same for GM cars. But I'm sure someone will chime in and tell you what's a good clutch to get. -Mark

His signature says he has a McLeod twin disc.

I would say you need control arm relocation brackets. BTW, I wouldn't trust that Eaton posi for high RPM launchs at the strip.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragula
I've been modding my car the non traditional route and preparing the driveline 1st. I know this is the expensive route, but I hope it will also be rewarding.

I have a 2000 6M WS6 with the mods listed in my sig. I just ordered a PST 3.5" Aluminum DS and Spohn CM Poly LCAs.

1) What do you think my next week link is?

2) Am I missing any crucial mods before I go for more HP?

Thanks in advance.
First let me congradulate you on doing your car the right way. I'd get the tq arm replaced, and get it relocated off the tranny.. BMR sells a crossmember to do this with the stick, this will save your tranny mount, and help traction. I'd look into doing poly motor and tranny mounts also, teh shock of dumping the clutch at 6500 ( you will if you want the car to run, and if it has traction ) Axle studs that came with your rear are better then stock, but if alot of racing is in your future, I'd think about getting yourself a set of drag rims, and the big diameter studs for the rear, for safety. Not needed for times in teh 12's, but once you get the car moving into the 11's it would be a wise thing to start thinking about. At some point, they will be a requirment to pass tech anyway.

The tranny itself, will take the power, you just have to not mess it up trying to put the shifter in the wrong place at the wrong time, shift the car right and the tranny will last a while.

I'd say that stuff, and a good set of adjustable shocks and a set of drag rims/tires ( I know the et radial is good, just alot better options other then a stock sized tire ) and you should be all set, ready for weight reduction and adding some power.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:05 PM
12 Second Club

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT!!!

I do have a Spohn TA that mounts to the tunnel. Just got the spohn LCAs. If I have wheel hop I will add the LCA relocation brackets.

Some of you commented on getting a Poly tranny mount. I will look into that.

I will also keep an eye on the Posi and wheel studs.

I'm kind of concerned about the Tranny input shaft with the twin disc. I know once I hit 11.99 I will need an SFI bellhousing. I figured I would upgade the tranny then.

I'm kinda trying to do for the sleeper look on the wheels. I've even considered getting the front wheels cut down to 6" wide and mounting 215s on them for a sleeper look.

Thanks again. Let me know if you think of anything else.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:09 PM
Race your car!

You could also widen the rears to fit a 315 tire.. just a thought.

All yoru plans are o.k., I've never heard of anyone breaking the input shaft, but it could happen. I'd definately reccomend the mcloud bellhousing. If I hadn't bit the pbullet and decided to go with a th400, I was 100% on getting the mcloud bellhousing.. after seeing a clutch explode this past year in person, I'd definately want something to protect my feet. When they go, they tend to shread all that are in their path, the car I saw blow one up was a 1970 mova, and a piece shot thru the floor and into the roof, leaving a big *** dent in the roof, the guy was luckey that didn't go at his legs... no shield on his tranny/bellhousing.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT!!!

I do have a Spohn TA that mounts to the tunnel. Just got the spohn LCAs. If I have wheel hop I will add the LCA relocation brackets.

Some of you commented on getting a Poly tranny mount. I will look into that.

I will also keep an eye on the Posi and wheel studs.

I'm kind of concerned about the Tranny input shaft with the twin disc. I know once I hit 11.99 I will need an SFI bellhousing. I figured I would upgade the tranny then.

I'm kinda trying to do for the sleeper look on the wheels. I've even considered getting the front wheels cut down to 6" wide and mounting 215s on them for a sleeper look.

Thanks again. Let me know if you think of anything else.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

Now your scaring me. What kind of HP was the Nova pushing and how high was he dumping the clutch. I thought I would be O.K. without it until I get into the 11.99 and lower 1/4 mile times. I still have a stock motor and full weight.

Last edited by Dragula; 06-22-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:26 PM
10 Second Club

Now your scaring me. What kind of HP was the Nova pushing and how high was he dumping the clutch. I thought I would be O.K. without it until I get into the 11.99 and lower 1/4 mile times. I still have a stock motor and full weight.
Clutches can explode at any given time - all brands and all power levels, all applications. There is no way to tell when/if it is coming... everything may seem fine, and then BOOM. All 6speed guys (even the stock ones) are crazy if they don't run some type of protective device, whether it is a bellhousing or just a blanket. It's cheap insurance, and sure as hell beats losing a leg.

I'm running the Exotic Muscle Transmission Blanket right now, and when my tranny gets pulled for the beefing, I'll run a bellhousing. I wouldn't feel comfortable driving the car without some kind of protection between the flywheel and my feet.

Racing fast is a function of racing smart, keep that in mind...
Old 06-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Race your car!

It " was" a spec clutch, and he dropped it at 6500... same way every guy running full slicks and a stick car will launch if they are trying to get the most out of it. Car was running a small block, was somewhere in the 470 hp range at the tires thru the muncie tranny... nothing insane.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:41 PM
12 Second Club

O.K. I took your advice from this post and stopped the break in process on the clutch after reading everyones advice.

I bit the bullet and just dropped my car off after waiting for my appointemnt. I 'm having a McLeod SFI bellhousing put it. I'm also having them install the LCA relocation brackets while it's in. I appreciate everyones input.

I initially thought I could wait until I was at the 11.99 range, but it's not worth a foot for any small percentage of risk.

Thanks again!
Old 07-26-2006, 10:12 PM
Race your car!

your feet will thank you!

Personally, I"m swapping in a th400, and am putting a CSR carbon fiber shiled on that covers the entire tranny and bellhousing, so if any part of it ever goes, it's not coming thru the floor at me... and when I have my foot to the floor with the transbrake on, and release the brake at the line, I'll feel better abotu doing it because of the shield, especially once the nitrous finds it's way into the car. That tq spike of activating nitrous off the line along with releasing the brake.... can definately frag weak parts on any car..... to do that with no safety shield, is nutty IMO