Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Copper Head Gaskets on LS Engines

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 11:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Copper Head Gaskets on LS Engines

If the mods feel this is the wrong forum then please move this by all means.. I just figured the more "hardcore" guys that hang around this part of the board would be a better help to me on this particular question. So here goes..

If you are running copper gaskets what brand/type are you using? I am curious as to how you are prepping the gaskets for installation? What kind of sealant are you using? Also, are you using them on a aluminum or iron block LS engine?

I am about to bolt my heads down and wanted to make sure I get everything right the first time. My block is o-ringed and I have the copper gaskets already.. I have a can of the Permatex Copper Sealant as well as a tube of Permatex Hi-temp RTV Silicone. I plan to spray both sides of the gaskets with the copper sealant and then apply the hi-temp silicone around the water port holes in the gasket. Does this sound correct? Anything that I'm missing??

Thanks for any and all help!
Old 07-20-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Don't use the RTV silicone. You can use the copper spray, but put on at least 2 coats, and let dry before installing. I always use Hylomar in a spray aerosol can, and put a liberal dose on both sides. Never leaked a drop on me.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Here's a link.

http://www.valco-cp.com/Hylomar.htm
Old 07-21-2006, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

i wouldnt evan run a head gasket if i were u lol hurry up and finish that car
Old 07-21-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

You don't want to use Hylomar in an oil wet area, it won't mix with the oil and it will ball up and clog ports, don't ask how I know that.

Originally Posted by LOnSLO
Don't use the RTV silicone. You can use the copper spray, but put on at least 2 coats, and let dry before installing. I always use Hylomar in a spray aerosol can, and put a liberal dose on both sides. Never leaked a drop on me.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:26 PM
9 Second Club

For some reason I remember the coppers gaskets as not working out too well.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Teching In

no just put a set on and within 2 months afterbuilding my 408 they are leaking. On the box it stated no sealer needed or they will leak. Well no sealer and the dam things leak and the shop who built the engine said no warranty its a race engine. If thats not a line of B.S. well tearing it down and going to use the MLS gaskets.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:00 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1Bad RamAir
no just put a set on and within 2 months afterbuilding my 408 they are leaking. On the box it stated no sealer needed or they will leak. Well no sealer and the dam things leak and the shop who built the engine said no warranty its a race engine. If thats not a line of B.S. well tearing it down and going to use the MLS gaskets.
that blows.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1Bad RamAir

You have to put some kind of sealant on them or they are DEFINATELY going to leak.. I used the Permatex Copper Spray which is what all of my friends use on their engines. I did 3 coats and let them get nice and tacky inbetween each coat. Then I let it dry for about 10 minutes and bolted them down. If it works on 2000hp 706cid ProMod engines then I think it will work on a lil ol 408..

Quick Reply: Copper Head Gaskets on LS Engines