Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heading to the track for the first time!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heading to the track for the first time!

Hey guys, taking my 02 t/a to the track for the first time this friday. I was hoping you guys could pitch some tips, Its a bone stock M6 except for the LMII cat-back. Im still a little iffy on my launches being that everytime I launch hard I spin the hell out of the tires, so i'm prolly going to have some weak runs

Ive only raced a handfull of cars, from a dig and pissed on all of them such as a couple SRT4s(because their everywhere around here) WRX and an older vette. So I have SOME experience with this kind of thing, just hope I dont make my self look like an *** in front of the friends
Old 08-03-2006, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

good luck, where u heading???? well be heading up to epping fri night if it doesnt rain.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:02 AM
TECH Regular

try feathering your clutch when you launch instead of just dumping it....
let some air outta your rear tires...
dont floor it if you have no traction,your just gonna end up spinning longer...
im guessing you launching at too high of an rpm...have u tried launching at different rpms...just keep trying new things until you find what suits you best
Old 08-04-2006, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I had decent luck just letting out the clutch and rolling into it after taking off... my 60fts are 2.1 so I know I am not launching great..and I bogged after taking off before I managed to get the car moving along... either way Ive had no problem getting 13.5 @ 105mph over and over again...

Let me know if you figure out any good way to launch that thing.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

The name of the place is edgewater, and yeah Launches are a bitch!...Hell ive tried launching at 2k and STILL does nothing but burn rubber. For some reason i'm afraid of running a slow time, like a 14 or 15 because i can't launch worth a damn!
Old 08-04-2006, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SUCK MY SS
try feathering your clutch when you launch instead of just dumping it....
let some air outta your rear tires...
dont floor it if you have no traction,your just gonna end up spinning longer...
im guessing you launching at too high of an rpm...have u tried launching at different rpms...just keep trying new things until you find what suits you best

Wouldn't letting air out of the tires just slow me down? sounds like a good idea for a launch. Knowing my luck i'd get a blow out half way down the truck and take out an audience
Old 08-05-2006, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Unlimited
Wouldn't letting air out of the tires just slow me down? sounds like a good idea for a launch. Knowing my luck i'd get a blow out half way down the truck and take out an audience
no cuz letting the air out helps u get more tire to surface area when u launch
Old 08-06-2006, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have already run how did it go?
If not take it easy, If you start to get sideways at all let off of it.
I seen a guy at the track a couple weeks ago with a lt1 m6, his first time at the track. he took off spinning and hit second got a little sideways he stayed in it and got sideways the other way then went into a spin and tapped the rear and spun back around and ran the nose into the wall. He busted his radiator and both airbags busted the windshield and tore his rear bumper and quarter panel up.
So don't worry about being as fast as you can be on your first run just take it easy and also if your spinning your not going to go as fast anyway so if your spinning just let off the trottle a little it will probley go faster by doing that. Just pratice till you get it right. good luck.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:14 AM
Staging Lane

Getting tires hot 101 with M6 (you must not glaze your clutch or your run will suck)
The burn out!!!
1. drive through water box
2. rev it up
3. side step clutch peddle and stab the break! (this can be hard on the brain the first time you do it. Then its nothing!)
4. durring side step your right foot never lets off the gas.
5. find 4000rmps and stay there. Not hard you will see.
6. you now have your left foot on the break and your right foot on the gas.
(On street tires you only need to hold this postion for a few seconds. But if your like me you will do it for about 10 seconds because smoke is cool!!)
The same as the first time you power breaked your old mans pick-up. All this means is that your clutch is fully ingaged and not getting glazed over! Your breaks hate you but your clutch is happy.
7. side step your clutch at 2000rpm. your on street tires?? On the street I cant launch higher than 1400rpms. On a cold day I have to flutter the clutch. You will have to find your cars sweet spot.
Good luck, this should help get you into the low 1.9 range till you get tires. Then you will see some high 1.7's. Oh yea, we hate A4 cars! They launch awsome and will always kill you out of the hole. Good news = if you keep them with-in a car link, you should drive right by at the top of 3rd! I love seeing that sad face as I power by.....
Have fun and dont glaze your clutch!!!
If you are already doing this, then 10 minutes before you race, you need to drink a few beers in the parking lot to calm your self down!
Old 08-07-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BobbyWS6
Getting tires hot 101 with M6 (you must not glaze your clutch or your run will suck)
The burn out!!!
1. drive through water box
2. rev it up
3. side step clutch peddle and stab the break! (this can be hard on the brain the first time you do it. Then its nothing!)
4. durring side step your right foot never lets off the gas.
5. find 4000rmps and stay there. Not hard you will see.
6. you now have your left foot on the break and your right foot on the gas.
(On street tires you only need to hold this postion for a few seconds. But if your like me you will do it for about 10 seconds because smoke is cool!!)
The same as the first time you power breaked your old mans pick-up. All this means is that your clutch is fully ingaged and not getting glazed over! Your breaks hate you but your clutch is happy.
7. side step your clutch at 2000rpm. your on street tires?? On the street I cant launch higher than 1400rpms. On a cold day I have to flutter the clutch. You will have to find your cars sweet spot.
Good luck, this should help get you into the low 1.9 range till you get tires. Then you will see some high 1.7's. Oh yea, we hate A4 cars! They launch awsome and will always kill you out of the hole. Good news = if you keep them with-in a car link, you should drive right by at the top of 3rd! I love seeing that sad face as I power by.....
Have fun and dont glaze your clutch!!!
If you are already doing this, then 10 minutes before you race, you need to drink a few beers in the parking lot to calm your self down!

theres no point to do burnouts with street tires...heat makes street tires perform worse...slicks are a different story cuz the heat makes em sticky
Old 08-10-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SUCK MY SS
theres no point to do burnouts with street tires...heat makes street tires perform worse...slicks are a different story cuz the heat makes em sticky
agree

but doing a dry hop just to knock the trash off would be ok just don't heat them up.