Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

disabling airbag light after installing aftermarket steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Bag Lite

My posts are very few on LS1tech but i do like reading all the LS1 info on this web site.On my 98 Z-28 i purchased a aftermarket steering wheel and adapter so after disabling the air bag system of course the air bag light is on any time the ignition is in the run postion.Is there any way to turn off this light?I removed the instrument cluster but it looked impossible to get to bulb or whatever is in there.Maybe someone out there knows a answer or just live with it. Have a good day...........lineberger
Old 08-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Launching!

you can take apart the cluster and remove the light with a soldering iron i believe.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:26 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Originally Posted by nickls1
you can take apart the cluster and remove the light with a soldering iron i believe.
That is the only way is by removing the bulb.Anything related to the srs system that is not working propely or disconneted will trigger the light.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

I have an inherent fear of soild state circuitry, so I just took the clear cover off of the cluster and covered the "SVS" light (see below) with good electrical tape. It was not so much the annoyance of the light being constantly on, as it was the fact that the inspection ***** in my state would fail me for it being on! Funny how they don't even notice that it's an aftermarket wheel (Sparco) though. A word of warning/caution; I DID reach in there with long needle nose pliers and break out the airbag light, but, as tuff previously stated, that then lights up the "Service Vehicle Soon" light as a failsafe!! I guess the only way to do it right is to get someone who can read circuit boards very well (able to bypass ALL failsafes) and is damn good with a soldering gun!!!

Last edited by dailydriver; 08-03-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dailydriver
A word of warning/caution; I DID reach in there with long needle nose pliers and break out the airbag light, but, as tuff previously stated, that then lights up the "Service Vehicle Soon" light as a failsafe!! I guess the only way to do it right is to get someone who can read circuit boards very well (able to bypass ALL failsafes) and is damn good with a soldering gun!!!
Perhaps there is a dummy light than can be soldered in place of the SRS light, so that it thinks the bulb is still there, but it just won't illuminate. That way you could avoid the hassle of trying to cover it up or having the SES light come on due to the bulb being disconnected. Just a thought.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
Perhaps there is a dummy light than can be soldered in place of the SRS light, so that it thinks the bulb is still there, but it just won't illuminate. That way you could avoid the hassle of trying to cover it up or having the SES light come on due to the bulb being disconnected. Just a thought.
Yes, but it would have to be the same exact resistance value as the original. I guess one could paint it flat black to block the illumination.

Quick Reply: disabling airbag light after installing aftermarket steering wheel?