Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Heads Up Race Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Heads Up Race Questions

Ok, I have a stock SS 6 speed with an slp lid. This weekend there having a big street car race at our local track. Heads up pro tree. Do I need to automatically deep stage, since I'm driving a 6 speed? My car has stock wheels and tires. How low can I air down the Z rated radials? If I don't do a burnout how bad to you think it will hurt me, it's going to be 100 degrees air temp. Will removing my air filter help at all? I'm going to be real easy on the clutch not dumping it. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no, dont deep stage. thats cheating (and they'll prolly disqualify you anyway). let the air down to about 14psi (anything between 12 and 16 will be ideal) and dont do a burnout, just spin them over a time or two to clean them off, then upon launch, dont dump it, bog it a little so that it wont spin. and for heaven's sake, please dont take out the air filter. its there for a reason. good luck
Old 08-04-2006, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

My MAF is still screened what would the filter hurt. Are you just meaning sucking up some dirt or something. I've ran a bracket car there for 2 summers with an open holley. Wouldn't it restrict airflow? Thanks
Old 08-04-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i just dont think its worth it to pull the filter out. you wont see enough gain to chance having dirt go into your intake. if you'll look at the maf screen, you'll see that the holes in the honeycomb is plenty big enough for trash to go through. if you think it'll help that much, you could try it for a pass, i dont think it'd hurt for one pass. the best thing you can do is the free mod where you cut out he bottom side of the air box under the filter so it'll be wide open under there (if it hasnt already been done)
Old 08-04-2006, 11:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unless you're running DR's, there is no value in letting tire pressure out of your tires. In fact, it hurts performance of stock tires.

My car back when it was stock generally saw a .05 to .1 and 1/2 to 1mph improvement in the 1/4 mile by removing the air filter. If you have the stock screened maf, there is no harm in not running it with no filter AT THE TRACK ONLY