Sponsored by:

Help with launching with an auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with launching with an auto

Hey all,
just a quick question. what are common methods of launching with an automatic? I've heard of revving to about 3k and dropping the e-brakes or just simply flooring the car when the green hits.

Also, i'm going to the drags for the first time and my times are going to be awful, i'm prepared for it.. but i have really basic boltons, cai, bellows, lid and a magnaflow exhaust. what times should i be hitting ? thansk in advance. btw, i have a 2k z28.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:22 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on what tires you're using. If you're using stock tires, I think you'll have to experiment some. I'd try bringing the rpm's up to 1500 or so (assuming stock convertor) while staying on the foot brake, then let go of the brake and roll into the throttle. Don't let anyone tell you to drop your tire psi on regular radials, or do a massive burnout. All you need is a quick spin to clean them off, and try to drive around the water box if you can. You should be able to cut 2.0 to 2.1 60" times. You'll soon figure out why everyone runs drag radials or slicks!
Old 08-20-2006, 05:42 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the above to an extent.

If you're using street tires (non-drag radials), I'd bring the rpm's to 900-1000 (assuming stock convertor) while staying on the foot brake, then let go of the brake and roll into the throttle. Every street tire is different, but I found my best hooking was with my Good Year GSC's at 27 lbs in the rears (33-35 is what I normally daily drove them at) and 35-45 lbs in the fronts. I agree about no burnout, just a quick turning of them on dry land to clean them off. I always went around the water box and onto the track. Then backed up while looking behind me with door open to make sure I went back as far as possible until I saw the water patch and stop before getting there so still on dry pavement. Select 1st gear, bring revs up to 900-1000 rpm and hammer the gas hard (no brake holding here) to get the tires spinning and clean them. Then set myself square with the starting line and bump in to stage.

I cut a best of 2.00 60 foot time doing this. Drag radials are much more helpful and easier to launch WOT on instead of rolling/feathering the gas.

Good luck, and keep practicing!

Derek
Old 08-22-2006, 11:29 PM
Teching In

So you guys use the brake pedal instead of the e-brake ? Do you let go off the brake pedal immediately or are you slowly letting it off ? thanks for the help and advice
Old 08-23-2006, 06:10 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you want to let go of the brake pedal immediately as you roll into the gas pedal.

Derek
Old 08-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

the first time i went to the track i used the "just mash the gas pedal" technique. the best 60' i could get was 2.1 which i was happy with because the track was slick, i did not lower my tire pressure at all and did not remove spare tire/jack etc, or run a 1/4 - 1/8 tank of fuel (i was at like 3/4 tank). i was just trying to learn how to launch the car and gain some experience. my best run was 13.3 @ 105. i think you should be in the same range.

now the next time i go, (later this year) i am going to try the brake rellease method, with 27lbs tire pressure rears, 33 fronts, 1/8 tank of gas, wieght reduction and hope i can get a 1.9 60' and improve on my 13.3 which i think will be very possible.

let us know hoe you do

ps. click on the 13.3 link in my sig to see my two launch's. hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:30 AM
12 Second Club

My car hated the stall it up launch when I had the stock converter. I always got my best times by just stomping the hell out of it. 2.0 60fts all day long. Low 13's should be easy.