Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my thru the floor SFC's, doesn't look so good.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my thru the floor SFC's, doesn't look so good.

Well I got my SFC's in along with my cage from a guy local in town. This guy is suppost to be one of the really good Datsun 510 custom guys. I sold him 2 datsun 510s and made a deal with him to get my cage welded in, along with some wolfe thru the floor SFCs. Well 6 months later hes talking about how he has alot of cars hes behind on at work. So he rushes my car. Can you guys tell me what you think. Should I be ok? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Got my thru the floor SFC's, doesn't look so good.-sfc1.jpg   Got my thru the floor SFC's, doesn't look so good.-sfc2.jpg   Got my thru the floor SFC's, doesn't look so good.-sfc3.jpg   Got my thru the floor SFC's, doesn't look so good.-sfc4.jpg   Got my thru the floor SFC's, doesn't look so good.-sfc5.jpg  

Old 08-29-2006, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Default more

Some more pics of the install.
Attached Thumbnails Got my thru the floor SFC's, doesn't look so good.-sfc6.jpg   Got my thru the floor SFC's, doesn't look so good.-sfc7.jpg   Got my thru the floor SFC's, doesn't look so good.-sfc8.jpg   Got my thru the floor SFC's, doesn't look so good.-sfc9.jpg  
Old 08-30-2006, 01:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to tell if the cage itself is MIG'd or really nasty TIG. If it's MIG'd you'll NEVER get a cert on it. 4130+MIG is a big no-no.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:37 AM
Outlaw 10.5 Director

Don't you ever sleep!

Originally Posted by y2khawk
Hard to tell if the cage itself is MIG'd or really nasty TIG. If it's MIG'd you'll NEVER get a cert on it. 4130+MIG is a big no-no.

Tom
Old 08-30-2006, 01:54 AM
Teching In

Cage is tig'd in ... The cage seems to be structurly sound it just looks really nasty on the sub frame...
Old 08-30-2006, 02:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Factory sheet metal is a bitch to deal with. Getting it to MIG in with thick wall tube is a bit of an aquired skill

It doesn't look too bad as far as the subframes are considered. Some of the spots could be a little cleaner as far as the welding goes. And the rough cut factory subframe leaves a little to be desired, but it'll work It's the details i notice I guess.

Hell, up until recently i couldn't MIG to save my life. TIG was what I learned first, and did the most so that was always much better.

Tom, i'll get plenty of sleep when I'm dead
Old 08-30-2006, 02:57 AM
Teching In

Yeah it seem sturdy but its not cosmeticially the best.. Hopefully a little paint will do the trick...
Old 08-30-2006, 07:31 AM
10 Second Club

I think it looks fine man, dont worry about it.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by y2khawk
i was thinking the same thing also the diaginals are not on frame ,this car would not pass up here, just on that alone,
and it looks like cage is miged to the 2x4 structures [or it really bad tig welding] just by the color of the tubes where it welded, and size of welds it looks mig, hope not it just doesnt look tigged,not looking for trouble you asked this is just the way it looks in picts, also no belt tabs or gussets bob

Last edited by NRC-Motorsports; 08-30-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Teching In

No I tottally aprecitate it I am very unsatisfied and upset...I take pride in my work and I wish others would to the same..