Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Symptoms of Converter Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 07:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Symptoms of Converter Failure?

Hey guys, posted this in the Auto tranny section and got no replies, figured maybe you could help me out here.

One of my buddies thinks he's havin issues with his verter. It's a turbo 400 with a yank verter. Used to go to 5000 on the t-brake, now it's seein 5800 - 6000. Only problem is, he just moved from florida to north carolina, the car is running like a pig, don't know if it's the conditions there, or something going on with the verter, what are some things to check to figure it out before having to just pull it and send it in to get checked or is that the only thing you can do?
Thanks for any help, much appreciated!
Old 09-04-2006, 08:15 AM
DSG
10 Second Club

Subscribing....I am curious.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:22 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might not be much help Devon, but when the car starts varying in et's and stall speeds change, that means she needs some help. Changing tracks adds another element, but you'll know when the convertor needs a fresh rebuild. How much time and/or passes?

Derek
Old 09-04-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Villain281H
Might not be much help Devon, but when the car starts varying in et's and stall speeds change, that means she needs some help. Changing tracks adds another element, but you'll know when the convertor needs a fresh rebuild. How much time and/or passes?

Derek

I'd say he's only had it in there for a year tops, and probably at least 75 - 100 passes maybe, not fully sure.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like Derek said, usually the car gets real inconsistent when the converter is having problems, at least that's what I've seen.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Launching!

It could possibly be that the car is making more power at closer to sea level and the converter needs tightening. We have also noticed that the car gets real inconsistent when the converter starts slipping. We also watch trans temp. that is another sure sign of trouble when temp goes way up.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happened to the trap speed?
Old 09-05-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sbcgenII
What happened to the trap speed?
Trap speed is way down, like 5+ mph, but he's in a diff state from the last time he ran the car and all the cars seem to be down there, but he talked to Yank today and they told him to send the verter back in and they'll look at it, that it sounds like a problem with it, but can't tell till they crack it open. And tranny fluid looks perfect, so don't think it's the trans.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Banned

interesting topic, i am wonding this too. my daily driver has been acting weird lately. like the tranny is slipping (but it's brand new) but it still has the 95k mile stock converter in it, but under a 60%+ throttle it still shifts nice and hard. just doesn't pull like it use to, and at slow speeds seems like its almost slipping, or just really under powered.