Sponsored by:

cutting bumpstops

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 09:07 AM
LC
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cutting bumpstops

I was going to cut the bumpstop area where it hits the rear, but upon search i found that a lot of guys just remove all the bumpstop material...

That seems better and you can shave some pounds i guess...

How is that piece holded? spot welded?

Any suggestions on how to remove it?
Old 09-04-2006, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

If you are talking about the bump mount stop directly behind the top of the rear tire you are not going to gain much weight reduction. I just cut them off with a plasma cutter to gain some clearance for the rear slicks. I would not suggest a grinding wheel. It will be an ugly result trying to follow the contour. It will also take all day.

Rich
Old 09-04-2006, 02:38 PM
9 Second Club

I used a 4" wafer wheel and I used a grinding wheel to smooth it out. Came out good. Spray paint it when you're done.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Just go to a welding shop and have them cut off.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:05 PM
LC
TECH Resident

I can cut them and smooth the cut... but that would leave 3/4 of it still on the car...

I want to try a complete remove... I found some threads but they were old enough to have broken links...
Old 09-04-2006, 06:05 PM
10 Second Club

Saw Zaw worked great.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:30 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Luis Castellanos
I can cut them and smooth the cut... but that would leave 3/4 of it still on the car...

I want to try a complete remove... I found some threads but they were old enough to have broken links...
First you cut the bracket that the stop bolts in to. Then if you're using a wafer wheel you hold the wheel perpendicular to the floor and cut out the part the bulges out. I had to cut one side of that bulge then the other and then make a straight cut up top to release it.
I'd post a pic but my wife took the digital camera with her today.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tektrans
First you cut the bracket that the stop bolts in to. Then if you're using a wafer wheel you hold the wheel perpendicular to the floor and cut out the part the bulges out. I had to cut one side of that bulge then the other and then make a straight cut up top to release it.
I'd post a pic but my wife took the digital camera with her today.
I had to do the same thing. Cutting the bump stop itself wasn't good enough. That part that bulges out is some thick steel to. I was gonna use my cut off wheel but the sawzaw worked better, cut through it like butter.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

Default grinding

Originally Posted by STOCK1090
If you are talking about the bump mount stop directly behind the top of the rear tire you are not going to gain much weight reduction. I just cut them off with a plasma cutter to gain some clearance for the rear slicks. I would not suggest a grinding wheel. It will be an ugly result trying to follow the contour. It will also take all day.

Rich
I tried doing it with a grinding wheel because I didnt have access to anything else. It took a damn long time, just like Rich said. Since then I have cleaned them up with a cutting wheel and its much better.