Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spohn chrome moly k-member!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 08:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spohn chrome moly k-member!!!

i just checked the new itmes in Speedinc website.... there is a new SPHON k-member....and it can be upgraded it to 4130 Chrome Moly.....i don't really know what is the diffs between both types.....(what i know that chromoly is lil bit lighter than mild steel)....

can anyone explain it to me plz.....cuz i'm ready to order a new k-member and A-arms.....and don't know if it worth the extra $$....(+250$ for k-member and +55-100 $ for A-arms)....

my car is for race only.....and did alot of wt reduction...(thx to stickies).....and will pay the extra $$ to save any lbs.....

thx in advance....
Old 09-07-2006, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TNTaddict
i just checked the new itmes in Speedinc website.... there is a new SPHON k-member....and it can be upgraded it to 4130 Chrome Moly.....i don't really know what is the diffs between both types.....(what i know that chromoly is lil bit lighter than mild steel)....

can anyone explain it to me plz.....cuz i'm ready to order a new k-member and A-arms.....and don't know if it worth the extra $$....(+250$ for k-member and +55-100 $ for A-arms)....

my car is for race only.....and did alot of wt reduction...(thx to stickies).....and will pay the extra $$ to save any lbs.....

thx in advance....
The density of mild steel and chromoly are almost the same. Unless the design is different they'll weigh about the same.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

choromoly is about 1/3 lighter (give or take). its worth it IMO.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:15 PM
11 Second Club

according to www.matweb.com

mild steel
0.284 lb/in³

chromoly
0.284 lb/in³

Moly cages are lighter because your allowed by NHRA to use a thinner wall.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

the chromoly one will be lighter because it is more then likely made with tubes that have a thinner wall thickness then the mild steel one...

jay
Old 09-07-2006, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NRC-Motorsports
the chromoly one will be lighter because it is more then likely made with tubes that have a thinner wall thickness then the mild steel one...

jay
Thanks

Physical properties can differ greatly though depending on manufacturing and heat treatment i.e. tensile strength, yield, toughness etc.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:45 PM
8 second club

The place I use to work at is a dealer for Performance Automotive K-Members, the Spohn one looks like it is constructed very similar with more gussets.

The PA moly one was a lot lighter, you're talking .083 vs .120 wall tubing. My moly K-member is 17 LBS. I don't know the exact weight of the mild steel K-member but if felt twice as heavy as the moly one. The stock one was 42 LBS. The moly one is well worth the price increase IMO. It says right on Spohn's site that the moly has .083 tubing and the mild steel is .120.

I dropped 105 LBS when I changed everything, PA K, PA A-Arms, PA Rack, Spohn coil over conversion with shock towers. (this was a 3rd gen)

IMO, all of Spohn's stuff is better quality than what I've seen from PA. If I was buying one right now I'd definitely buy the Spohn.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:37 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by G&HRacing
IMO, all of Spohn's stuff is better quality than what I've seen from PA. If I was buying one right now I'd definitely buy the Spohn.
Agreed, I have seen PA parts in person and held them BEFORE I bought my rear suspension parts.

All of my rear suspension right now is Spohn... nuff said....