Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roll bar question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roll bar question

how fast can i go with a 4 pt weld in bar, 5pt street harness, helmet, and driveshaft safety loop. What about a 6 pt bar, any difference (other than price)? Will a chrome 4pt bar be stronger than a plain old 6 pt bar? I know wolfe is a good brand, what else would you recomend, i will need a girlfriend (swing out) bar on the pass side, i can climb over a little bar. will the diff in strength effect launch (only ~1.8sec 60ft) do i need a girlfriend bar on my side too? Also i want to keep the rear seats in the car, so it will pass NY State inspection do i need over the seat style rear bars? Thanks in advance, and sorry for the newbie questions.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A 4 point isnt good for anything faster than 11.50. You can put dual swingouts in no problem. Spend the money on the chromemoly.

225-343-9029
Old 09-18-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRed99Z28
how fast can i go with a 4 pt weld in bar, 5pt street harness, helmet, and driveshaft safety loop. What about a 6 pt bar, any difference (other than price)? Will a chrome 4pt bar be stronger than a plain old 6 pt bar? I know wolfe is a good brand, what else would you recomend, i will need a girlfriend (swing out) bar on the pass side, i can climb over a little bar. will the diff in strength effect launch (only ~1.8sec 60ft) do i need a girlfriend bar on my side too? Also i want to keep the rear seats in the car, so it will pass NY State inspection do i need over the seat style rear bars? Thanks in advance, and sorry for the newbie questions.
like Brian said, 4 pt ,not good for anything,under 11.50 ,
but you only need a 5 pt to be legal to ,10-00, so that solves your girfriend problem[you think NHRA knew ,LOL] ,once you have a rollbar you need the proper harness,what does the rear seat have to do with an inspection,im was a new york state inspector and i never heard of that?? but, yes over the seat bars will work for you, and yes the wolfe kit,[over the seat,weld in one,or the bolt in one and you,ll just have to weld the 2 back bars],will also be a good bar,that you will be able to add on to later on,and go C,moly,Bob
Old 09-18-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

i believe both of wolfe's set ups go behind the rear seat, the only thing is the bar that goes from right to left in the car that would hinder access to the back seat
Old 09-18-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Exclamation A 4 pt is...

NOT legal, regardless of ET/speed. Minimum is 5, w/ the door bar being on the driver side.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
NOT legal, regardless of ET/speed. Minimum is 5, w/ the door bar being on the driver side.
you really cant say not legal for any et or speed,as legal bars are only needed once you get faster than mid elevens, [ not counting convert,s]you can have a 4pt ,bar or any kinda bar,like the old 3 pt bars or a show bar,jn a car slower than the min ET/speed rating, there are a lot of old nostilgia cars out there with 3 pt bars but they dont go faster than the min speed/et bob
Old 09-18-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

According to what i have been told, by my auto tech teacher (who is an NY State inspector), in order to pass ny state inspection a vehicle must retain all pasenger safety devices as it was equipped from the factory, meaning that f-bodies need 4 seatbelts, and in order to have seatbelts, the car needs seats. I argued why can't I ditch the seats and keep the meaningless belts there, he said he would not pass it. So if i get the over the seat bars i can still put people back there? and the five pt will allow people to actually get back there through the passengers side door, correct? Thanks for all the replies
AJ
Old 09-18-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRed99Z28
According to what i have been told, by my auto tech teacher (who is an NY State inspector), in order to pass ny state inspection a vehicle must retain all pasenger safety devices as it was equipped from the factory, meaning that f-bodies need 4 seatbelts, and in order to have seatbelts, the car needs seats. I argued why can't I ditch the seats and keep the meaningless belts there, he said he would not pass it. So if i get the over the seat bars i can still put people back there? and the five pt will allow people to actually get back there through the passengers side door, correct? Thanks for all the replies
AJ
heres the rule, on the NYS inspection site.
Seat Belts
Inspect for proper operation and anchorage.

Model years 1969 and newer - one seat belt is required for each seating position.
Model years 1967 and 1968 - two front seat belts are required (driver position included), and one seat belt is required for each seating position elsewhere in the vehicle.
Model years 1965 and 1966 - two front seat belts are required (driver position included).

it does not say, for each seating position from factory[or factory installed] ,it just says seating position,[so if seats not there ,seating position is not there,i.e. you could get crew cabs or extended cab trucks without backseat, also ,cobra R cars, and i think 1 year a pontiac,F body came without rear seat also] but i will bet you that not one inspector in a million will pull the belts out from under back seat to see if they are there,or even look in back of car or van /or flip up seats that are follded down,to see if its there,or the belts are there, i really dont think you,ll have an issue,next time you get your inspected stay there and watch,flip the seat down,see if anyone pick,s it up

Last edited by NRC-Motorsports; 09-18-2006 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Launching!

what pt bar do you need for under 10 seconds? Also what other things will you need?
Old 09-18-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackls6
what pt bar do you need for under 10 seconds? Also what other things will you need?
full drivers equipment, 10pt cage (atleast may be more), chute and more i just dont know it all
Old 09-19-2006, 05:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blackls6
this is just a little paragragh i made a while back,about pts, of cages and rollbars[under 10.0 you do need a cage]
the right way to find out what you guys need to no is contact your division headquarters be it nhra/ihra they are the ones who make the rules ,or contact a competent shop who build cars ,also a lot of guys are calling roll bars cages this is also wrong [this is quite common]so when some one calls for quote first we have to find out what they are talking about :drivepro
heres a paragraph i made for the fast ls1 site [it is also post in ls1 tech a few times as people asked ] alot of people are useing the wrong terminoligy] ,a cage is a cage and a roll bar is a roll bar[a roll bar can have 5pts 6pts 7pts and8 pts,a cage can have 6 pt ,8,10 12pts] a lot of people call up for cages and their trying to ask for roll bars its a common mistake
,most cages are actualy are 6pt unless 2 diagnal bars go to tunnel or frame connectors[before everyone jumps on me the 2 side bars usually go to the front uprights so unless you have the 2 diags like i said and they are mandatory when a cage is put on plates[pge 209 of rule book see diag. read D] if its a chassis car[ ie chevelle,malibu,corvetteanything with a full frame under it]the cage then has to be mounted to the chassis and dosnt require the 2 diags to tunnel. what else is needed are ,a window net,padding anywhere drivers helmet can contact[pge 203], and the instaler should put tabs for required shoulder harness [so its bolted to spine bar and cannot slip off you in case of accident]and if you go faster than 9.99 a chassis cert that should cover the basics hope this helps. bob