Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

with QA1s when scaling all for tires....how to adjust for the correct settings!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 12:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how to adjust for the correct settings..with QA1s putting all 4 tires on a scale....

ok well i want to take my car to get it scaled the correct way.... on all four tire! so how many clicks for every 100 pounds on each side..... or what are some of the weights of all 4 coners of your car?

Last edited by TondSS; 09-19-2006 at 02:27 AM. Reason: not correct
Old 09-19-2006, 07:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Madman is the best one to answer this question.
Scaling a car has nothing to do with the shock setting as I know it.
The purpose of scaling is to get the rear tires to have the same weight on them so the car will sixty better and straight.

First I would loosen up all shocks and disconnect the rear drag/sway bar.
Put car on scale in race trim with you in it.
Check the weight of the two rear tires scales.
Your goal is to have 10 to 15lbs more on the right rear then the left rear.
To accomplish this you will need to tight the front left coil spring to raise the front left to transfer the weight to right rear.
Once the weight is correct adjust the rear bar so it can be reconnected with no preload.
All of these adjustments are done in race trim with you in the car.

Hope this helped
Bob
Old 09-19-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you just need the shocks dialed in you can do that at the track with out to much effort.

Properly scaling a car is a very involved process and is best left to chasis shops that are experienced w/ racrcar set up. There is alot more to 4 'cornering' a race car that just weighing each tire.

Unless you are planning to race in an Eleminator or Extreem series I wouldn't worry about scaling the car.

If you decide to scale your car you will need to be able to calculate the 'Height of the C/G' and have a good understanding of how moving weight affects the C/G as well as a good understanding of 'mass centroid axis' and 'quality of mass' (aka Polar Moment of Inertia in relation to torque values).

If this is your first time to corner scale a car, then I would encourage you to do so...you will gain a wealth knowledge and understanding of the dynamics of a race car.

Good luck to you

Magie Stewart