Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens when you have a flat on slicks...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What happens when you have a flat on slicks...

I wanted to work on my tune, cause I have been putting it off long enough. So I went for a nice sunday cruize on my prostars with QTP's on the back. Making some real good progress on the tune, atleast 100 miles into the cruize I leave a red light and the car darts to the left hard. I had to turn the wheels a 1/4 turn to keep the car in my lane, so I make it over to a parking lot and sure enough it's sitting on the rim. No big deal right? Well it is when you've got 5/8" studs in the rear...

So as you know not just any regular old wheel will fit. So I call my buddy that has a set of draglights, he comes and picks me up and takes me to my house. We pull off his wheels throw them and some tools in my beater and head back to town. I get the jack out and tell him to lift up on the fender so I can get the jack under the car. He starts lifting on the fender but lacks a little more getting the jack under, so he tries again and then I hear two pops. I came out from under the car and he said "you don't want to see it" I told him to move and there they were, two big *** prints in the quater panel.

I kept my cool as best I could cause if I hadn't been running around on slicks it would have never happend, but I'm still very pissed about the whole thing. So the car will be sitting for a long time now, until I get some money for the paint-less dint repair guy to come out and fix it. He's really good, I've seen him fix worse, he just cost alot.

You know it's a never ending battle trying to keep a street/strip car looking good, your always having to work on them and it seems like it gets a new scratch every time no matter how many fender covers you use. I started it up the other day and it shook the clock off the wall right down the front fender Makes me want to buy a junky old car that already looks like ****.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

that sucks man...bad, but i know exactly what you mean. i almost quit driving mine because of stupid **** like that. 1st i hit a dog... billet grille went sliding across the road, cracked the bumper from the corner light angled about 8", busted corner light. got a new grille, clear corners and lived with it. i backed/scrubbed the rear 1/4pannel, between gas door and bumper while getting a pizza (damn 5% tint, night, pole 5' from a sidewalk in the parking lot)..... just makes me mad to bring it back up. thats in the past 2.5 years....
Old 09-24-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, **** happens I guess. This is an expensive hobby, and I guess I'll just have to put it on hold for a little while. Things are real slow at work and the bills have to be paid. So the car sits, cause I'm not about to drive it with *** prints in the side of it. People might think I put a fat chick up against it or something.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPEEDYws6
yeah, **** happens I guess. This is an expensive hobby, and I guess I'll just have to put it on hold for a little while. Things are real slow at work and the bills have to be paid. So the car sits, cause I'm not about to drive it with *** prints in the side of it. People might think I put a fat chick up against it or something.

I know what ya mean

at the fat chick thing
Old 09-24-2006, 10:50 PM
10 Second Club

at the fat chick joke
Old 09-24-2006, 11:20 PM
10 Second Club

Sorry to hear about your bad luck man.. I know exactly how you feel. And you are right it is VERY hard to keep a street car looking good. Its almost pointless. lol
Old 09-24-2006, 11:42 PM
12 Second Club

Agreed. I catch myself putting off washing the car until I don't have time to do it just because I hate the way my rear bumper looks since i put some spiderwebs in the paint... Backing up a hill with no light and dark-*** tint don't mix.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:03 AM
10 Second Club

Yea I know exactly what ya'll mean. My "show car" isn't much of a "show car" anymore.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I got one better.. my car after winter #2 sitting with a car cover on it.. I take the cover off, only to find the passenger rear quarter all funny looking.. teh paint checked over the winter. Car's pewter, and it looks like steel-wool marks all over it, and it's just that one quarter. # GM dealers all told me it's not rust/corrosion, and I knwo that quarter had to be repainted at some point... just dont' knwo when. I tried having a report pulled on the Vin to see if there was any record of what happened... nothing. There's no bondo/dent on the ar as I'd be able to see it from the inside... but it's clearly been repainted at one point. I'm the original owner, and it's never been in any accident/nothing ever happened to it.... it really pisses me off, makes me want to have the whole car stripped and repainted... but I can't justify doing it because once I put 8K worth of good fancy paint on it I'll be too worried about somethign happening to the paint to be able to enjoy it.

Maybe someday, but not anytime soon, got too many other thigns, like roll cages, kirkey seats, and an eventual nitrous system to worry about LOL.