Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help deciding????

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 02:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help deciding????

I have a dodge srt4 and im selling it to get a ls1 camaro. Now I dont really want to go with a auto but from what I hear its better for drag racing. I would want the car to run mid to low 10s so whats the easiest way to get there? im a nitrous freak so i will be using nitrous as my power adder. so let me know what i need to get there. thanks alot everyone
Old 10-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

First, do you plan to drive the car on the street, and if so, how much? What is your tolerance for race car like aspects? reason I asy is that to run at the low 10 second speed consistantly, you're gonna be way better off with a built turbo400... that being said get a stick car, as tehy are easier to swap over, and the 6 speed tranny is alot easier to sell and get good $ for.

As for the easiest way to get to that power range, build a good forged 383, with an aftermarket set of heads with the thick head deck for sealing purposes, and you'll be able to get to the range of speed once you have the suspension set right on a shot somewhere in the 150 to 200 range. Alot of it will have to do with how light you get the car, how well teh car hooks and what it makes for power on motor as far as how much nitrous you will actually need.. I know cars that could get to the low 10 second speed ona 50 shot, and others that would need 150. The more power you can make on motor and the less nitrous you have to spray, the better off you will be. Just make sure that you get an engine builder that knows their stuff with nitrous builds to do the motor work and you can probably go at that speed for years with no maintenance other then fluid and plug changes.

Good luck, and congrats for making the decision to swap over!
Old 10-07-2006, 08:12 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the above.

Manuals are fun, but much harder to keep consistent and more $$ spent on parts usually. Now that isn't always the case, but about 98% of what you see at the track on a consistent basis in the bracket classes or a serious toy has automatics in them. As long as you do your homework and don't jump into anything without researching the proper components to use, you'll find the 10s. Just remember, plenty of others have done it before you, so don't be afraid to ask questions!

Derek
Old 10-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Teching In

well I will be driving the car alot on the street. I dont mind if it feels like a race car driving it on the street. I just dont want to dump a bunch of money into this car like i did the srt and not do what i want it to do.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

In that case... get in touch with a good shop that is local to you that deals with lsx cars, any of the sponsors on here are capable shops to deal with. Let them know what your goals are, what you have for a budget, and try to come up with a plan. Just think of alot of it this way.. overbuild it some and you won't be breaking stuff. Nothign worse then putting $ into parts that end up breaking, or parts that don't work together.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:44 AM
Teching In

ok cool thanks