Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is shutting off out of the whole???

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car is shutting off out of the whole???

Not sure if this the right thread but I have an electrical problem. When I leave the lights under a hard load 4000 rpms or above, or more specifically, when the car dead hooks, my car shuts off for a brief second then comes back to life and is fine for the rest of the track. All the dash lights come along with the radio even though the radio is turned off.

A little background info: I never had this problem before I had the Moser 9" installed. At the same time, I installed an SLP linelock system. I'm not sure if either of these are the culprits. All electrical wires and spark plugs seem secure. I have the 9" with no ABS provision as my car has ABS but not TC, which means my ABS INOP light is on. I am assuming it is some sort of loose electrical connection since it only does it on a hard whole launch, in everyday driving, it is fine. Please help advise and diagnose as I am beating my head against the wall.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:03 AM
10 Second Club

Definately sounds like an electrical problem. I'd check all over the car and make sure all of the grounds are good and make sure the battery is secure as well as all of the positive leads.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

Had this happen to me. My battery hold down was broken and I did not know it. Then after I put my T-brake in and then the first time out of the hole the battery tilted back and shorted out against the body. The engine would stutter (and the lights would flicker) and the stutter would stop the hard launch and the battery would settle back into the tray and away I would go with a 60' time that was .
Took me several runs over a few times at the track to figure it out. I hope this solves your problem. You have to really give the battery a shake and you will notice the battery tray is poorly desgined. Too much torque on the front hold down and it breaks real easy.
If this is not it, I would check all my battery connections on the frame.
Good luck.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mvonada
Had this happen to me. My battery hold down was broken and I did not know it. Then after I put my T-brake in and then the first time out of the hole the battery tilted back and shorted out against the body. The engine would stutter (and the lights would flicker) and the stutter would stop the hard launch and the battery would settle back into the tray and away I would go with a 60' time that was .
Took me several runs over a few times at the track to figure it out. I hope this solves your problem. You have to really give the battery a shake and you will notice the battery tray is poorly desgined. Too much torque on the front hold down and it breaks real easy.
Good luck.
I think this is my problem. I will check it out. How did you fix yours?
Old 10-22-2006, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

same thing, and it was the broken battery tray.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, had the same problem with my 99 SS way back. Didn't notice it until I installed the converter
Old 10-23-2006, 12:22 AM
10 Second Club

move the battery to the trunk and problem is solved!
Old 10-23-2006, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mvonada
Good luck.
Same here. Broke battery mount=problems. I just had an aluminum strap built and went on my way.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

I went to a lightweight battery (PC680) and laid it on its side and put a strap from the hole in the rear of the battery hold down to the from of the sheetmetal never the radiator. This would work if you keep the orginal battery. Just need to do a little bending of some aluminum.
Good luck.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:11 AM
DSG
10 Second Club

Also I have seen the negative battery cable rot from the inside out. This happened on my 98.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen the negative and positive battery cable chaff and short circuit. Both the cables run in the same loom to the starter.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Yep, it was a broken battery mount....rigged a brace for it....problem solved.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:59 AM
11 Second Club

Gotta love this site, it has been a lot of help for me.