Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm stoopid and need help with a stoopid problem....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 02:51 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm stoopid and need help with a stoopid problem....

OK, here is the lamest, most panzy *** question ever posted in this section, but I figure alot of you have similar mods and may have some insight:

I've had this rattle/buzz in the rear of my car for a very long time now, and it happens mainly at idle. It sounds like a bolt is loose and buzzing, like a damn gigantic vibrator (hows that for a description?). Its so loud that when I drive past a friends house they can hear it inside. I cannot find a single loose bolt or nut, and there doesn't seem to be anything rubbing anywhere. It pretty much happens when the car hits low idle, like 800-900 RPM. That frequency is making something buzz, and its embarrassing. WTF could it be? I don't recall it happening after one specific mod, but its been going on so long who knows....

Any ideas here? I have TD's with dynomax turbo cheapie mufflers, RT TA, Billingsley LCA'a and PHR (rod ended on both), Strange 12 bolt, subframe connectors, etc. I've removed the back seats and belts, and installed new carpet. I didn't see anything in the interior loose at the time.

Help!
Old 12-15-2006, 04:41 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

heat shield, muffler baffle slightly loose, possibly the rod ended suspension?
Old 12-16-2006, 11:08 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

I don't have any heat shields left, and I'm pretty sure it did it before the rod ended suspension too. I need to get it on a rack and get under it while its running and just start looking for the noise. Hope its not one of those cheap *** mufflers.........
Old 12-17-2006, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try crawling under the car just below the trunk area on the passenger side. Now wedge something (any thing for now) between the "verticle" metal wall of the spare tire compartment and the frame rail next to it. If you are looking down into your trunk while standing, the verticle wall is on the RH side under the plastic speaker panel. It will be towards the center of the car and goes straight up and down. I had a similar sound that drove me crazy for a year before I finally decided to find it. Godd luck man.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:12 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

What did it end up being?
Old 12-19-2006, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

It was that verticle wall resonating for me, it drove me crazy. It would only do it at certain rpms for me, but my buddy's brother had a similar sound on his car at idle just like you were describing and he did the same thing as me and it went away.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:37 PM
12 Second Club

BTW I crawled into the back seat and halfway into the trunk area while my buddy drove so that I could pinpoint the noise. If this is possible for you give it a shot, just poke around back there and see if you can narrow it down to inside the car or outside.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:02 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Oh snap! We found it! The panel that runs right between the wheel wells (where those hooks are bolted down) was vibrating and resonating. It felt like a sub box when you layed your hand on it. So we went to the local car audio store and bought a section of dynamat and stuck it down on the panel, under the carpet. Noise is gone! If only all problems were fixed this easily!