Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys with Strange SA or DA front shocks..

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 07:11 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Guys with Strange SA or DA front shocks..

I put these SA Strange shocks on a couple years ago, I never received any instructions but just assumed they went on like QA1s and the springs went up against the stock sping seat. That kind of works OK but its not leaving me with a whole lot of adjustment on the springs, the adjusters are almost 1/2 way up the shock before the springs have any tension on them at all. With 275 springs with the adjustment all the way up the car is still sitting way too low plus the springs 'bow' and rub the shock since the stock rubber upper spring seat isnt flat.

Along with the shocks came some upper spring seats and a little cone washer thats fits in the upper stud. If I use that then I have enough adjustment to make the car sit decent with 275 lb/in springs but I'm not so sure the stock upper mounts will carry all that weight on just the shock stud.

The QA1 springs are sort of a hybrid between stock and coil over springs where the springs that came with the Strange shocks are regular parallel 14" X 2.5 coilover springs. Just curious on how others have done theirs, called Strange and the guy I talked to was a little lost as to what I was doing..

Last edited by kp; 12-17-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the cone on the top. The stud will be strong enough. The other option is a spacer between the spring and the lower seat. I beleive QA1 makes one.

225-343-9029
Old 12-18-2006, 07:06 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem with the spacer is the spring will still bow and rub the shock since the stock rubber upper seat is spiral shaped instead of flat, after taking the other side off yesterday the spring wore a hole through one shock, it was on the inside and I never even noticed it - at least I found what was creaking every time I got in the car.

I was more worried about the stud punching a hole through the upper mount but after taking it apart I doubt that will happen.

Thanks for the reply, I'll just use the cones.