Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long has your project car taken?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How long has your project car taken?

Just curious as to how long is it taking for you guys to be where you are at with your car? From the day you bought it, to the day you did your first mod, to the day you dialed it in, to the day it ran its best. And for you guys who are still building it, how long has that been taking, and how much longer will it be until you have it running? You guys ever get frustrated with the project that you want to give up or get rid of it?
Old 01-25-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Started my 99' SS m6 4 years ago in late september, I had bought a Lid, K@N, FTRA, and Nitto DR's before my car was even in the driveway. 4 years later I have all the susp. upgraded(Drag Style) I have my Big and little, Cam swap, the bottle, full bolt ons, Spec stage 3 clutch, S60 rear with spool, lite axles, 4.30 gears alum. cover. Currently about to start a stroker motor fully forged, solid roller/or big hyd roller, lots of compression, and just maybe kick *** dual stage setup!! And yes I have been so mad at the car you wouldn't even understand but when I got mad or frustrated I would just walk away for a little bit cool down then go back at it!!

Dan
Old 01-25-2007, 10:15 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I started working on mine June 8, 1999. I let it cool off after getting home from the dealer. I just got my Fast back from porting and a set of strange drag brakes from UPS. Saturday it goes to Burkhart for a 10 point. I have not started it since putting in the new cam, (pulled the T Rex for a larger cam) or ATI 5500 8" converter.

Seems like it ALWAYS apart from late November to March. That has become a fact of life. Do I get pissed? Yeah, I have learned to patch drywall as a result of owning this car. But I get through it.

I would guess I'll be done with it 2 weeks after my funeral.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SLPSS99
And yes I have been so mad at the car you wouldn't even understand but when I got mad or frustrated I would just walk away for a little bit cool down then go back at it!!

Dan

I know how you feel. At times, I feel like if it is not one thing that doesn't go right or break, it's another. But yeah, walking away seems to work the best. My 10 bolt just blew up again, time to go with the big daddy and throw a 9 inch in there. Should have did it the right way once and not be doing over and over wasting money.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Burger

Seems like it ALWAYS apart from late November to March. That has become a fact of life.

I would guess I'll be done with it 2 weeks after my funeral.
Same here!
I take my time with any projects. If I get frustrated, it doesn't get done for awhile. I'm turning a tranny build into a 3 month job. I have more time into breaking the tranny loose from the block than anything else on this build. I still have to put it together, install tranny, install window switch, tranny cooler, and dial in the tune. I have a lot of work to get done before GIR opens.

Last edited by 02 BLK WS6; 01-25-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Ripped the car apart 2 and half years ago (64 chevelle ss). Now its got a truck arm suspension with 9" locker, 572 cube. kiesler 5sp, Im in the middle of the custom interior now, then wiring, then bodywork (a lot of fiberglass parts, should be fun...) and paint. year left maybe.....everything is frickin custom on that car, should be sick when its done
Old 01-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

bought my car in may 2001, for the first year I did nothing but drive it every sunny day I could... 2nd year the bolton's started, along with the first track trip 3rd year headers and the rest of the bolton's went on, and I picked up a set of bogarts somewhere around then, not exactly sure when. Following year car got a 12 bolt and a cam, ran alot better and was alot more fun to drive. End of that winter, I picked up a set of heads and installed them on the motor. next spring, the stock motor decided it didn't like the heads.. and puked. Car then sat all last year, until the beginning of september when it went to get the new 402 put in, along with a th400, and a bunch of other stuff. Now it's going ot get the 6 pt put in first weekend of february, then when I get that back I'm painting it, and the spring time work begins...

It's not even close to being done really, I still have a TON of stuff I want to do to it, about 200 lbs of LW parts to buy to get the weight down to a respectable #, and there's gonna be a nitrous setup going on as well, then the cage will get finished off to a 10 pt, etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.

I dunno if the thing will ever really be done, but I am trying to do it in stages so I can collect parts/work on it during the offseason and enjoy it during the summer... and as the extra $ will allow.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

next month will be two years ive had my car. Bought it with a "built" 355 from a guy about 3 hrs away. tralierd it home and drove it all of 20 miles and a valvespring broke and it managed to toast the engine. pieces of valve and piston were in 5 different cyls.

So now its almost 2 years later and it has a .040 over LT1, ported heads, mahle pistons, Childs and albert rods, Scat crank, with about 12:1 compression, Th350 and alla that stuff lol. cage and race seats should be going in soon after i put a few street miles on it. nitrous, 12 bolt and th350 with a trans brake to follow soon
Old 01-25-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Which car? They're both perpetual works in progress

I just finished heads and cam on the 'Vette...now I'm already planning a new clutch and gears.

I started buying speed parts for the 'Clone before I even took delivery of it. Although I'm the original owner and it only has 15k miles on it (despite the fact that its a 16 year old vehicle), I honestly have lost count of all the different engine and tranny combos I've had in it. Its sitting down in the garage right now with no driveline in it. It NEVER ends!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Banned

the current "project" for my car has taken ~18 months... it went through several "minor" setups in the first year or so of the time i owned it. the current project is very extensive and SLOW...