Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who made the rules on having rollcages?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who made the rules on having rollcages?

I don't go to the track that much and i don't know much about racing. I know the NHRA created rules on having rollcages. I have a few questions about that.
1. What year did they decide that cars needed rollcages for most drag strips?

2. How did they decided which rollcage was meant for how fast a car would go in the 1/4 mile? Like 3 pt vs. 6 pt roll cage.

3. How much more is a (what ever is under 10 second 1/4 mile) roll cage versus a lesser rollcage?

4. Do most people that drag race have them or do a lot lie and get thrown off drag stips?

5. Do rollcages affect passing State inspection at all?

6. I realize that one rollcage probably costs more than the next, but if anyone plans on going through the car mods for a faster car and eventually want to reach the 10 sec or lower times, shouldn't people just save up and but the best rollcage for that as opposed to buying one for slower strip times? Or are you able to weld additional points onto the other rollcages to make them NHRA compliable for a 10 sec or less rollcage?

These may sound like dumb questions, but i just gotta know. The people that i know with fast cars that go to the strip don't have them in their cars and also don't have anything faster than a mid 11 sec car. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:28 AM
9 Second Club

I dont know who made the rules, but it is so you stay alive if anything happens
Old 02-05-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. What year did they decide that cars needed rollcages for most drag strips?
It doesn't go by year, model of the vehicle. Any and all vehicles that run faster then 11.50 need a 5-point roll bar. Faster then a 9.99 will require a roll cage, at least a 10-point.

2. How did they decided which rollcage was meant for how fast a car would go in the 1/4 mile?
After watching many people die in accidents without protection and years of research to strenthen the chassis of cars.

Like 3 pt vs. 6 pt roll cage.
The reason for a 5-point roll bar was because the main hoop protects against a roll over accident, which the down bar support the main hoop. The door bar protect against a side impact, much like is required by federal law on cars sold in the USA. IHRA require a passenger side door bar as well.

3. How much more is a (what ever is under 10 second 1/4 mile) roll cage versus a lesser rollcage?
11.50 to 10.00 requires a roll bar, not a roll cage. Roll cages are required when exceeding 10.00. If you modify the OEM firewall in any way, you need a roll cage. Price depends on manufaturer and the type of vehicle it is designed for.

4. Do most people that drag race have them or do a lot lie and get thrown off drag stips?
YES! Unless you are a moron who doesn't care about their own life, just to run a 9.99.

5. Do rollcages affect passing State inspection at all?
Yes, they can affect Safety Inspections. Check your local laws for roll bars/cages and their legality.

6. I realize that one rollcage probably costs more than the next, but if anyone plans on going through the car mods for a faster car and eventually want to reach the 10 sec or lower times, shouldn't people just save up and buy the best rollcage for that as opposed to buying one for slower strip times?
The bare minimum you need is a 5-point roll bar, unless you are referring to road race roll bars, which are different and not NHRA/IHRA legal.

Or are you able to weld additional points onto the other rollcages to make them NHRA compliable for a 10 sec or less rollcage?
Yes, so long as the welds and joint are done according to NHRA/IHRA specifications.

These may sound like dumb questions, but i just gotta know. The people that i know with fast cars that go to the strip don't have them in their cars and also don't have anything faster than a mid 11 sec car. Thanks for the info.
That is why most tracks have Tech Inspections and ask those cars to leave. Most will remember those not abiding by the safety rules.

Last edited by 12secSS; 02-05-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:40 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here:
Watch this video....of a low 12 sec. POS. See what can happen even running 12's. Granted, the car is a total heap of $hit, but any car can still flip like that.

http://www.hotroddersauctions.com/fo...orld-vt30.html

If you race your car, the roll bar / cage is worth every penny the day you actually need it.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:32 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

SFI makes the rules, NHRA & IHRA follow them.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Well i mean that is a given to me that its for safety reasons and i don't at all argue the matter of having one installed on a car, those are just general questions i always wanted to know the answers for. I myself am no where close to being that fast. I believe my car is still a 13 sec car.

So what is SFI?

also, that video you posted, how the hell does something like that even happen? Did the doors on that guy's car even close right before take off? That was one interesting video. Although it looked like he accelerated when his car shifted sideways which i don't understand why, but glad to see he made it out alive. Did any of you guys know that person from the vid?
Old 02-05-2007, 09:19 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Try this.

http://www.sfifoundation.com/

Old 02-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I must say that video.... is the first time I've ever seen someone loose a 12 second car 1/2 way down the track like that. I did however, see someone at a rental day pull thru the water, go up and stage, then do a burnout, and proceed to leave the line doing a burnout (intentional burnout at the starting line mind you) and have the car pitch out sideways, over correct and hit the wall with the passengers side rear 1/4 (in the left lane, jersey barrier to the drivers left) It was a sight to see, I wish someone had it on video so I coudl post it but noone got it. Car was a new 05 roush mustang, not that it being a mustang has anything to do with it.

It just goes to show, that inexperienced racers, do make mistakes, some worse then others. The safety stuff is required for your own good. I do think that some fo the stuff is slightly overkill, requiring a bose stock 06 z06 to have to put a rollbar in a stock factory car, seems a little overkill to me, I feel the speeds that stuff is required at should be revisited to reflect the factory hot rods of today. 10.99 or faster, yeah I feel that 5 pt/6 pt is a good idea. should you need a 10 pt at 9.99, yeah, probably a good idea. Should that 10 pt only be good to 8.50, not so sure about that one, 8.0 seems a little more realistic. At that point, 25.5 should be good to 7.0, 25.2 needed for anything faster then 7.0 would probably be o.k. I knwo these are pretty much just 1/2 second adjustments, but it seems to fit better.

I wish the other rules that are in place that effect the slower cars, like better axles, that type of stuff that isn't inforced, or checked is more of the pain.. 1/2 the people never take care of that stuff, and it's got to be one of the biggest reasons for track closures at rentals/test and tune days... and very annoying.