Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default opinions wanted

What is more consistent for bracket racing turbo or a supercharger. I want to add one or the other but I am inconsistent enough already without adding to my problems. Oh one other thing can you run nitrous with either or setup or just one or the other?
Old 02-08-2007, 02:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think your at a real disadvantage using a turbo for bracket racing due to the time necessary for spooling. I've seen turbo cars played many times by being forced to stage quick and attempt to get spooled quickly. They seem better off in the heads up classes where they're more likely to run other turbo cars.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:03 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

an n/a setup would be your best bet.. then the only thing you have to worry about is the DA once the car is 100%. supercharger, there's all the added parts, more heat soak issues, turbo you have the spooling issues at staging, nitrous, I don't know if you have time between rounds towards the end of a bracket day with that, alot of the time I see the racing get pretty close to hot lapping at the final rounds... so that could be a concern as well.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

So I should not run either if I'm going to bracket race then? I saw there is flashlight drags coming to the county airport where I live this summer that are heads up so maybe I should build my car for that even though I'm gonna give it a try with my car the way it is now and see what happens. I just want my car to be fast as hell however I can get it.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most bracket cars are nitrous.. That's the best bet IMO
Old 02-08-2007, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FormulaFire
most bracket cars are nitrous.. That's the best bet IMO
I know of a lot of bracket cars that are nitrous but its only there in case its needed such as if they happen to spin or to break someone out. either way its tough and without experience would not benifit you.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by brandonppr
I know of a lot of bracket cars that are nitrous but its only there in case its needed such as if they happen to spin or to break someone out. either way its tough and without experience would not benifit you.
A good friend of mine is a driver for a guy.. and 2005 Champ in 6.0 class.. he uses nitrous on about all of his cars.. just need to get it dialed in.. which is the same with any car
Old 02-09-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

There are some guys that have had success with prochargers bracket racing. All depends on your driving style. If you're like me and carry a half a tenth then consistency isn't a big deal anyway but supposedly there are some guys that got the prochargers pretty consistant.

The one thing I would not do is go turbo due to the whole spooling up, that would screw with you on the line and other guys would be sure to hurry in and light both bulbs on you if they knew it.

Check out this thread on another board, has some decent info... Nothing great though:
http://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/t...7621023572/p/1
Old 02-09-2007, 05:24 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hrod382
There are some guys that have had success with prochargers bracket racing. All depends on your driving style. If you're like me and carry a half a tenth then consistency isn't a big deal anyway but supposedly there are some guys that got the prochargers pretty consistant.

The one thing I would not do is go turbo due to the whole spooling up, that would screw with you on the line and other guys would be sure to hurry in and light both bulbs on you if they knew it.

Check out this thread on another board, has some decent info... Nothing great though:
http://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/t...7621023572/p/1
True True, I always rush and light them both up if I hear a turbo in the other lane whether it's heads up or bracket.
BTW, I do that also if I know the car is a stick. Especially on a pro tree.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys I will try to make a decision but I have awhile before I will have the money to do either need another 2k or so but I'm saving for something big. Oh and I forgot to mention I have alot of experience at bracket racing but with non computer cars and motorcycles. Not bikes anymore though crashed at track in 2002 so bought my TA for added safety lol. My TA is just freaky inconsistent though compared to other vehicles I've raced just can't seem to get it figured out.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by px33transam
Thanks guys I will try to make a decision but I have awhile before I will have the money to do either need another 2k or so but I'm saving for something big. Oh and I forgot to mention I have alot of experience at bracket racing but with non computer cars and motorcycles. Not bikes anymore though crashed at track in 2002 so bought my TA for added safety lol. My TA is just freaky inconsistent though compared to other vehicles I've raced just can't seem to get it figured out.
Brakes fix inconsistent cars

If you run no-box you can really learn to drive the big end in a car like it seems you're trying to build. My car was varied .06 a couple times so I had to learn how to sandbag and was pretty decent at it.

Sandbagging works great at my small home track because I'm usually the fast car but when I go to big races it sure is hard to lift on dragsters running 4.80's when you're in the left lane but you gotta do what you gotta do
Old 02-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

I ran a 12 second street bike for 6 years against 8.00 second drag bikes and sent alot of high dollar bikes packing sandbagging and killing the tree. What kills me is when the car runs pretty good for awhile then it will decide to run slow and just leaves me dead in the water. I can't see sandbagging 5 or 6 tenths all the time. Thats actually how I wrecked my bike had the guy covered on the big end stabbed the front brakes and she washed out on me at 100 mph.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

Default Right on

Originally Posted by tektrans
True True, I always rush and light them both up if I hear a turbo in the other lane whether it's heads up or bracket.
BTW, I do that also if I know the car is a stick. Especially on a pro tree.

That would have really messed with me big time in the beginning!

Now that I finally understand how to set up a clutch car and tune an engine for proper timing and lightning throttle responce, and how to drive for that matter, It's all good. It takes far less time than is needed to hit the targeted launch rpm now days. I often wish the other guy would just hurry up...
Old 02-12-2007, 10:54 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vintage Iron55
That would have really messed with me big time in the beginning!

Now that I finally understand how to set up a clutch car and tune an engine for proper timing and lightning throttle responce, and how to drive for that matter, It's all good. It takes far less time than is needed to hit the targeted launch rpm now days. I often wish the other guy would just hurry up...
haha, I'll be sure to watch for you if you're ever in the other lane.
I could never drive a stick-I give you alot of credit for getting it down so well.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:22 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Most bracket racers are N/A.

Some have N2O on it and only use it if needed, or want to be in a faster class.

Blowers are much more consistant from what I've seen, but again, I don't see many turbo bracket cars.

N2O is not allowed on either at most tracks I've been to, check your class to be sure.
2006 rule book, page 25, under nitrous oxide section.

What's wrong with staying where you're at and getting more consistant??
Good luck.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

x2 for NA bracket car

If I had no choice but to pick supercharger or turbo though. I would deffently pick supercharger.