Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery mounted under bumper cover--pics inside--

Old 02-09-2007, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Battery mounted under bumper cover--pics inside--

I mounted the battery under the bumper today. I was going to get a dry cell battery and mount it upside down but decided not to and got this marine battery just like the one I took out. The only place it would fit was the middle because of the size. a smaller battery would have fit on either side. I had to hit the middle with a hammer to knock down the bubble in the center to make it flat. I got some 3/8" threaded rods they were 3ft each. cost about $11 for everything. I just bent around the shape of the battery. the hardware weighed 1.3lbs to mount the battery.

The reason I wanted it back there was to move the weight further back, not have to use battery box, and support the bumper cover some.

the bumper cover fits just like normal and it does support the bumper cover it is right agaist the back of the license plat pad. and I can zip tie to the rods from the old mounting points from the bottom now.

I tightened everything down and cut the excess threads off.

I will have charging post probley mounted on the inside.

Last edited by brandonppr; 02-09-2007 at 03:18 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you know for sure that your not going to lose the battery going down the road then that looks like a good idea.

Congrats for thinking outside the box. If it works in a few months there will be alot more people with there battery there. Maybe me too
Old 02-09-2007, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

thats just wrong in so many way,
from a common sence point, eventually the plastic will wear out and the rods will start eating into the battery and loosen,
if someone runs into you with no real support around it it will create another problem,
if you spin around and hit the wall again another problem,even if you hit it sidewalls the batt can still shift and short out
tech wise its illegal,its supposed to be mounted to the frame in chassis type car or frame structure,which it is not, and supposed to have manditory battery hold down straps,which it does not
but lets over look the safety things for a minute and say you wanted to keep it there i would think you would want some kind of structure around and underneath it, to protect it from all above,and from any debris that might pop up and puncture battery,bob
Old 02-09-2007, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Yep, Bob's "right on" with his call...
Old 02-09-2007, 08:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good Brandon, A little different from how I am doing mine, but not by much. Mine involves Alum. strapping, for more side to side support, and similar all thread rods. I was planning for going to the center of the area myself.

But after reading Bob's post I didn't know it had to mount on the frame, I find this strange since a lot of guys don't mount them to the frame when they put then in the T-top storage well or in the spare tire areas, and they are still legal???

I see no difference putting it in the center of the T-top storage well or putting it on the outside of that same wall? That's why I planned on doing it. Any thought?
Old 02-09-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My problem would be the first time I wheel standed at the track it would be gone. LOL
Old 02-09-2007, 09:32 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

I agree with Bob, and urge you to rethink mounting it inside the car, for safety's sake.

I'm normally not a safety ****, my car isn't technically legal for the times it runs, but it is safe. I can just think of so many problems having the battery back there.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:02 AM
11 Second Club

OK somone explain to me why having it there is not safe? At least for a track car...

I understand the way he has it mounted may not have taken all angles of movement into consideration, and it might slide from side to side and ground out or worse come loose, and as bob noted it could rub through the plastic and dig into the battery. But I don't see the safety issue for a non street car to have it mounted there is it was mounted a little more securely?
Old 02-09-2007, 10:05 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thnk its 100x safer OUTside the car then in LOL. A 50 lb battery flying around in the car doesnt sound like a lot of fun Lot of dragsters you see have the battery hanging right off the back..

But I would make a little better 'box' or it will eventually wear through the case like bob said, even a couple horizontal ones to keep it from moving side to side. That threded ros id like a file and will eat into the battery in no time so some flat aluminum would probbaly be better.. That metal back there is pretty thick, more so then the t-top well, which isnt really 'legal' either.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NRC-Motorsports
thats just wrong in so many way,
from a common sence point, eventually the plastic will wear out and the rods will start eating into the battery and loosen,
if someone runs into you with no real support around it it will create another problem,
if you spin around and hit the wall again another problem,even if you hit it sidewalls the batt can still shift and short out
tech wise its illegal,its supposed to be mounted to the frame in chassis type car or frame structure,which it is not, and supposed to have manditory battery hold down straps,which it does not
but lets over look the safety things for a minute and say you wanted to keep it there i would think you would want some kind of structure around and underneath it, to protect it from all above,and from any debris that might pop up and puncture battery,bob
I will probley put some rubber isolators on it. I have them just forgot to but them on.
It is not street driven so the support is not that important, besides it will have a cage that runs to the very back with a cross bar in the middle.
It has never been mounted to the frame even when it was inside and I went thru tech at a the nhra division finals with out a problem when it was mounted to the inside ttop storage. I have a strap if thats what it takes.

I may put a battery tray instead of the way it is if it does not pass tech. I wasn't going to buy a battery tray and then it not fit back there. So now I know it fits I can go from there.

does anyone have a quote from the rule book, I don't have one but I thought it just had to have 3/8" holding it down?
Old 02-09-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cwaldt
If you know for sure that your not going to lose the battery going down the road then that looks like a good idea.

Congrats for thinking outside the box. If it works in a few months there will be alot more people with there battery there. Maybe me too
it is defintly not going anywhere.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SlowFormula
OK somone explain to me why having it there is not safe? At least for a track car...

I understand the way he has it mounted may not have taken all angles of movement into consideration, and it might slide from side to side and ground out or worse come loose, and as bob noted it could rub through the plastic and dig into the battery. But I don't see the safety issue for a non street car to have it mounted there is it was mounted a little more securely?
it will not move side to side at all. I was going to run a horizonal rod but it didn't need it. but yeah I do agree about it needing to be better mounted keep it from digging in.

Also if it were a smaller battery it would fit at the end of the frame rails where the bumper mounts are.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:30 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah that just doesn't look safe
Old 02-09-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I found this.
http://www.nedra.com/rulebook.html#8_1

also:
NHRA Rule Book:

Batteries may not be relocated into the drivers or passengers compartment. Rear firewall of .024 inch steel or .032 inch aluminun (including package tray) required when battery is relocated in trunk. In lieu of rear firewall, battery may be located in a sealed .024 inch steel box box, or .032 inch aluminum or NHRA accepted poly box. If sealed box is used in lieu of rear firewall, box may not be used to secure battery and must be vented outside the body. Relocated battery must be fastened to frame or frame structure with minimum of two 3/8 inch diameter bolts. (no "J" hooks) Metal battery hold down straps maditory. Strapping tape prohibited.

is that area not considered "frame structure"

Last edited by brandonppr; 02-09-2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

that ares is not considered the frame rail. the metsl next to the spare tire ares towards the center, that is frame. If you want to relocate the battery, you need to have a box mounted to that, or on the drivers side if you prefer. Moroso also makes a plastic box that is NHRA approved too, it's the only one that is.

I am not personally putting the battery in the trunk until I absolutely have to, I'll stick with my PC680 on the factory battery tray until that day comes. (required shutoff for 9.99 or quicker, in that case the battery will go back there, mine as well with all the wires that have to go there for the shutoff)
Old 02-10-2007, 10:18 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
that ares is not considered the frame rail. the metsl next to the spare tire ares towards the center, that is frame. If you want to relocate the battery, you need to have a box mounted to that, or on the drivers side if you prefer. Moroso also makes a plastic box that is NHRA approved too, it's the only one that is.

I am not personally putting the battery in the trunk until I absolutely have to, I'll stick with my PC680 on the factory battery tray until that day comes. (required shutoff for 9.99 or quicker, in that case the battery will go back there, mine as well with all the wires that have to go there for the shutoff)
He's right, you don't have a frame attatchment point there. Also, in an accident, the battery will find a way out the side. If you come across the right tech inspector, you will not pass.

Shane
Old 02-10-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

The roll cage is coming back there and will have a cross bar at the very back. would tieing it into the cage count as frame support?

The rule says it has to support 6 times the wieght of the battery from side to side movement. The way it is it will support more than 6 times it weight without moving from side to side witch is 60lbs x6 = 360lbs.

I could have mounted it at the end of the frame rail if I had a smaller battery.

I do plan on changing the way its mounted though but I am going to leave it in the middle.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

If you really feel that you need to put the battery back there I would suggest building a support that ties into the bumper mounts. That way it would technically be legal. In a door car it is probably a bad idea putting that much weight that far back in the car. If you decide to keep it there you need to run wheelie bars or you stand the chance of killing the battery if you wheel stand.

Good Luck,

Daren
Old 02-10-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

i would do soemthing like this but only way smaller

fab up a nice battery box munted on a firm rack welded in
Old 02-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

you put a smaller battery way in the back of the car, and it won't have enough power to crank the car over.

This has been covered alot... I don't know what kind of band aid you are trying to do by putting the battery that far back, but whatever it is, it can be fixed with suspension work, you don't have to put the battery under the bumper cover.

if the weight back there is gonna help, put the battery in teh trunk mounted legally, and put the rear bumper support back in.

Search this Thread