Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

for drag racing is it better to have a shorter or longer torque arm? why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default for drag racing is it better to have a shorter or longer torque arm? why?

I have seen shorter and longer arms. what are the effects of differnent length ta's?
Old 02-11-2007, 01:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shorter is better for drag racing, but the shorter torque arms can cause brake hop.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is this? Explain why a shorter arm is better than a longer arm

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
shorter is better for drag racing, but the shorter torque arms can cause brake hop.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:21 PM
9 Second Club

I think it depends on the car. The shorter arm will work well and transfer weight well but I think suspension set up becomes more critical with the shorter arm. The longer arm will transfer weight better and set up is less critical to get the weight transfer you want BUT a car with alot of power will put it on the bumper faster with the longer arm over the shorter one.
I prefer the longer arm but I'm not making tons of power. IMO, if I were building an N/A car I'd use the longer arm but once you go with a power adder I'd go with the shorter one and a tweaked suspension.
I'm no expert-just my opinion.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:48 PM
8 Second Club

shorter torque arms are more prone to wheelstand
Old 02-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Banned

i talked to Dave at Burkhart Chassis a few days ago and he was explaining to me that a higher power car needs a little longer arm than some of the 500-700rwhp cars would need.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Junkie

It all just depends. The shorter the Torque Arm the harder the car is going to want to hit the tires. If you have a 700HP LS1 you can probably get away with a shorter torque arm then a car with 2,400 HP would use.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:57 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ben R
It all just depends. The shorter the Torque Arm the harder the car is going to want to hit the tires. If you have a 700HP LS1 you can probably get away with a shorter torque arm then a car with 2,400 HP would use.
good way to explain it. the shorter torque arm will give the car anti-squat, hitting the tires harder. the longer torque arm will cause the car to squat more in the rear (also less likely to wheelie). you have to find the happy medium. from what i understand from reading dave morgans book, you want as much anti-suat as you can get with the car still hooking. if it doesnt hook, you want to move the instant center forward until it does. someone please correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:39 AM
9 Second Club

told ya I was no expert. I'm way off. Least I learned something today
Old 02-12-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tektrans
I think it depends on the car. The shorter arm will work well and transfer weight well but I think suspension set up becomes more critical with the shorter arm. The longer arm will transfer weight better and set up is less critical to get the weight transfer you want BUT a car with alot of power will put it on the bumper faster with the longer arm over the shorter one.
I prefer the longer arm but I'm not making tons of power. IMO, if I were building an N/A car I'd use the longer arm but once you go with a power adder I'd go with the shorter one and a tweaked suspension.
I'm no expert-just my opinion.
The shorter arm will put the car on the bumper faster. Ask Madman
Old 02-12-2007, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ben R
Very well said, Ben.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:52 AM
8 Sec Tuner

Originally Posted by 9sec93
good way to explain it. the shorter torque arm will give the car anti-squat, hitting the tires harder. the longer torque arm will cause the car to squat more in the rear (also less likely to wheelie). you have to find the happy medium. from what i understand from reading dave morgans book, you want as much anti-suat as you can get with the car still hooking. if it doesnt hook, you want to move the instant center forward until it does. someone please correct me if i'm wrong.
Moving the Instant Center point forward is going to make the car hit the tires softer (Think same as using a longer torque-arm). Also, the lower you mount the torque-arm (Adjustable front mounting bracket) the softer the car is going to want to hit the tires.

If your car isn't hooking up the fix isn't always to try to make it hit the tires harder. On a high horsepower car that wants to do nothing but get on the wheelie bars and then unload the tires you have to put some power into it at the hit (To turn the tire over a little more on the starting line to keep the car from going straight to the wheelie bars). You can also raise the wheelie bars a little bit to keep from shaking the tires.

Kevin Slaby, the owner of Baseline Suspension, has a great article on it (www.baselinesuspension.com)

-Ben R
Old 02-12-2007, 10:56 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike TexaSS
Moving the Instant Center point forward is going to make the car hit the tires softer (Think same as using a longer torque-arm). Also, the lower you mount the torque-arm (Adjustable front mounting bracket) the softer the car is going to want to hit the tires.

If your car isn't hooking up the fix isn't always to try to make it hit the tires harder. On a high horsepower car that wants to do nothing but get on the wheelie bars and then unload the tires you have to put some power into it at the hit (To turn the tire over a little more on the starting line to keep the car from going straight to the wheelie bars). You can also raise the wheelie bars a little bit to keep from shaking the tires.

Kevin Slaby, the owner of Baseline Suspension, has a great article on it (www.baselinesuspension.com)

-Ben R
Good stuff.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mike TexaSS
-Ben R
I just have to ask so I can make sure.

If you were to RAISE the front adjustable mount of the torque arm, and kept the LCA's at the same angle, you would be RAISING the instant center, but wouldn't you be pushing that point forward where they intersect then? so it's like a catch 22

and just for information sake, this is a topic i had saved in the past..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/archive/i.../t-396309.html
Old 02-13-2007, 10:25 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slow Z28

If you were to RAISE the front adjustable mount of the torque arm, and kept the LCA's at the same angle, you would be RAISING the instant center, but wouldn't you be pushing that point forward where they intersect then? so it's like a catch 22

i agree, i would think that raising the front mounting point will move the instant center forward hitting the tires softer.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:19 AM
8 Sec Tuner

Originally Posted by Slow Z28

The only way to know for sure for any given setup would be to map it out. Its true that raising the Torque Arm could move the IC forward enough that it would conteract you moving it higher. Every setup would be a bit different with all of the combinations of LCA's and Torque-Arms and then some people use the LCA relocation brackets and so on and so forth.

There are some IC Calculators you can download off the net you could use if you wanted to find out for sure.

-Ben R
Old 02-13-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the help. I learned even more than I expected so it was a big help.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
The shorter arm will put the car on the bumper faster. Ask Madman

Mike you are very good at what you do. Your exhausts and fab work is primo stuff. What I dont understand is why you go out of your way to bash and make comments just to start ****. You know nothing about my t/a. You make assumptions on what you read on the internet. To set the record straight there have been VERY few cars that have been on the bumper with my arm. The cars that have drug the bumper have been competitors pieces. If you set my arm correctly the car will hook and go BUT as everyone knows the only way to win is lean on it. So at times the bumper is there.

225-343-9029
Old 02-13-2007, 07:40 PM
LC
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MADMAN
Mike you are very good at what you do. Your exhausts and fab work is primo stuff. What I dont understand is why you go out of your way to bash and make comments just to start ****. You know nothing about my t/a. You make assumptions on what you read on the internet. To set the record straight there have been VERY few cars that have been on the bumper with my arm. The cars that have drug the bumper have been competitors pieces. If you set my arm correctly the car will hook and go BUT as everyone knows the only way to win is lean on it. So at times the bumper is there.
i thought it was a compliment.. huh...
Old 02-13-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Luis Castellanos
i thought it was a compliment.. huh...

No...wasn't taken as a compliment. Goal for building good suspension setup is to transfer weight and power to the tires and to the ground..............not to the rear bumper. Riding the rear bumper.....might as well be spinning the tires of the line

Quick Reply: for drag racing is it better to have a shorter or longer torque arm? why?