Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling interior, need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 07:03 PM
JUICED96Z

Default Pulling interior, need help

Have to pull the interior on my Z this week for the cage going in this weekend.

Anyone have and tips or pointers? Only thing staying in is the drivers seat (have to drive it to the shop) and the door pannels.

Had to dig it out of the snow and got the radio and floor mats out LOL.

How do you pull the A4 shifter button assembly?
I can feel the clip in there but its in pretty deep. On my old 86 it was not in that deep and was easy to pull right off.
Just a REALLY small flat head screw driver maybe?

I assume pulling the dash is as much a PAIN as the third gens?
Old 02-17-2007, 07:56 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you understand how to pull the shifter off, try a small flat head or small needle nose pliers. The dash is a PAIN. Put back as many screws as you can and mark and bag all the others. If you think you will have a hard time remembering how stuff goes back take pictures.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

not bad. Hardest thing is getting the clothing hooks out. Those are not hard after you figure it out. There is hole just big enough for a small Screw driver. You will see the cut out. Pry the cut out..out. I just buy new onew when I know i am taking the panels out. BTW make sure you leave enough room to get the panels back in...mine are a little close and are not coming back out.

The dash is not that hard. The HARDEST part is getting teh VATS un-plugged. on mycar you have to get the dash completely un screwed and tip it out and take one other section off to get the modual out and un-hooked.

We stipped mine out to the dash in under and hour today Going to finsh stripping the back of the carpet and cut the rear section off and cover it with some light stuff. I found some more sound deadener I forgot I out in back in 2000 when I caught it on fire. Dash will be coming out to get the sound deadener out and the air bags as well

Looking at some Aluminum seats and new steering wheel

the Strange part is how I have twisted some areas of the car. I was mentioning in a thread about how flimsy the rear deck area is. When I put my cage in I tied in to the rear shock towers. good thing I did I have twisted the mounting plate that are welded to the rear deck arear...time for an X tieing all the bars together now.

BTW use your digital camera as much as possible
Old 02-17-2007, 08:06 PM
JUICED96Z

I have a ton of room on my phone for pics so I will use it.

The air bags are staying in for the time being and stock seats (look brand new) besides that anything that is not needed will get ditched and some light carpet will go in, pulling the rear seat bracket things also so that the new carpet does not have all that sticking threw and all. I am sure I will have the VATS ditched and have it pulled out of the PCM and all.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

BTW I put manual seats in last year. perfect shape. 32Lbs Dr side and 30Lbs Pass side. Pretty sure I can replace them with some thing nice and save at least half of that

I wish I had pulled the Seat belts before I welded the 8 point in. I had the Air bags save my life in my first 95 Z28 but this one has gone furturer then I thought it would for racing. Last thing I want is for them to go off at the track and not be able to control the car. So they get to come out before the rest of the cage goes in
Old 02-18-2007, 07:20 AM
9 Second Club

Before you pull the dash mark the a pillars where the cushoned part of the dash meets the plastic top part. Leave the a pillars and the top plastic part of the dash in for the fabricator and tell him to run the down bars to fall in front of the mark you made. This way you won't have to cut up your dash to get it to fit. Also he should cut some metal off of the firewall behind the fuse panel, you'll see how it sticks out a bit so he run the downtubes and still keep your fusebox in the stock location.
Here are some pics of the finished dash so you can see what I mean.
Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Pulling interior, need help-dash1.jpg   Pulling interior, need help-dash2.jpg   Pulling interior, need help-dash3.jpg   Pulling interior, need help-dash4.jpg  
Old 02-18-2007, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tektrans
Before you pull the dash mark the a pillars where the cushoned part of the dash meets the plastic top part. Leave the a pillars and the top plastic part of the dash in for the fabricator and tell him to run the down bars to fall in front of the mark you made. This way you won't have to cut up your dash to get it to fit. Also he should cut some metal off of the firewall behind the fuse panel, you'll see how it sticks out a bit so he run the downtubes and still keep your fusebox in the stock location.
Here are some pics of the finished dash so you can see what I mean.
Good luck.

Got any more pics of the rest of the install. mainly the seats forward? Does your head clear the bar well?
Old 02-18-2007, 12:09 PM
9 Second Club

I'll try and take a couple for you today. My head clears fine.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:02 PM
JUICED96Z

Do I neeed to mark it even though its a WOLFE cage?
Old 02-19-2007, 04:37 AM
9 Second Club

Wolfe cage is already pre bent so I would say no but not sure. Can't hurt to mark it and see if he can make it work that way for you.