Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emphasis on Drag Racing - Why

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 12:49 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Emphasis on Drag Racing - Why

I've just been wondering why there seems to be so much emphasis in this forum and with a lot of the new performance products developed for LS vehicles on drag racing. After all, the Corvette was developed as a sports cars with not only good acceleration, but improved handling and braking. The Trans Am model was named by the Pontiac motor division for the Trans Am SCCA race series. The new Chevys and Pontiacs with the Zeta Chassis (Holdens, G8, etc.) have four wheel independent suspension and other features to make the cars more like the Ferrari GTO than the Pontiac GTO back in my day ever thought about being (I'm 57).

I'm not a big NASCAR fan, but the Daytona 500 has gotten me to thinking about the lack of emphasis/interest in circle track or road racing on a performance forum like this. When I was in my teens and twenties, there seemed to be a balance of interest in drag, road, and circle track and the cars weren't nearly as good as what we have today.

So that's my question. Why do you think that there is less interest in road or circle track motor sports or well-balanced modified daily drivers in a forum like this?

Steve
Old 02-18-2007, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Question.......... I like 1/4 mile racing and don't care anything
about circle track racing. I'm 42 years old and I own both a Camaro
and a Corvette C5. Camaro is for racing and the Vette is for nice
everyday driver...
Old 02-18-2007, 01:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it may have something to do with the fact that drag racing may be easier for the average enthusiest to get into/take part in.

For the vast majority, how many road course's are readily(realisticially)available, vs. drag strips? Not to mention drag racing's true herritage comes from the street.

I grew up with Nascar/dirt track/ sprint cars and always enjoyed it, but my true passion was always drag racing. Just something about the one on one competition.... the launch.... the acceleration. There is no substitute-
Old 02-18-2007, 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

on the average, you can go drag racing for a day for anywhere between 20 - 30 bucks, vs 200+ (nee the cost of 4 tires)for road racing and circle track...shoot, you gotta find a track that allows street cars to begin with...

but that's just my opinion...I could be wrong
Old 02-18-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree w/ the others. I would love to go road racing, but first you have to find a track. Then the money. Not only to race, but tires, brakes, etc. And my car would defintely be total **** in an attempt to autocross.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

there's more straight roads on the way to work?
Old 02-18-2007, 02:38 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rons 00z
there's more straight roads on the way to work?
Exactly. I live in Florida and it's perhaps one of the flattest states there is. There's only one hill that I can think of within miles, the rest is just flat open road. Jacksonville is the largest land area city in the USA, we have hundreds of miles of highways.

Another thing is that there's not any sort of road course anywhere remotely close to here. The closest one I can think of is Atlanta which is about six and a half hours away. That breaks down to 6.5 hours there, hoping nothing breaks, and then driving 6.5 hours home.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess I prefer(sp) Drag Racing because I love the feeling of launch a car and pulling through the gears. Also Bracket racing get my blood flowing when ether chasing or being chased and being very very close at the end of the 1/4 mile!!! Just a blast to me.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Drag racing is worlds cheaper than road racing.
By the time we're done with our Z, with the ultimate goal of a dr. jekyl/mr. hide street/road racer, a 8 sec. full trim muscle car would be a better deal. And that sounds slightly better too...
Old 02-18-2007, 03:48 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Good points everyone! I grew up in East Tennessee and the only straight roads were the Interstates. All of the back roads were twisting and the only race track was a 1/4 mile track, dirt/oval. Kansas, where I've lived for the past 31 years, is very different regarding straight versus curvy roads.

I still wonder why there is as much interest in having a high-strung drag car that isn't very streetable. This subject has been touched on more in the last several months. Three years ago when I became active on this forum, you never heard streetability or broader-band torque discussed. It was all about peak HP. That is beginning to change some.

Any thoughts on the drag versus street performance bias since realistically most vehicles are street driven 95% of the time (or more)?

Steve
Old 02-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

A lot of us are guys with f-bodies for DD's that are not hugely fast or big drag racers, but who like to go to the track for fun and improve the performance of our cars. Compared to the old musclecars, these cars turn some pretty good times stock, and even better with some basic mods. It's something you can do without a huge investment of money or time - especially when you have a track close by.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg

Another thing is that there's not any sort of road course anywhere remotely close to here. The closest one I can think of is Atlanta which is about six and a half hours away. That breaks down to 6.5 hours there, hoping nothing breaks, and then driving 6.5 hours home.
Roebling Road near Savannah is a reasonable distance from JAX. It's no worse for you driving there from JAX as it is for us Charleston, SC people do...it's probably easier for you as you are pretty much interstate all the way.

http://www.roeblingroad.com/

ON EDIT: Also forgot about Daytona... not only is it a big nascar track...it has a road course too.

http://www.cfrscca.org/club_racing.html

Hammer

Last edited by thehammer69; 02-18-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

To me theres no feeling like to listening a Muscle car idle with some fat tires.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SLowETz
I think it may have something to do with the fact that drag racing may be easier for the average enthusiest to get into/take part in.

For the vast majority, how many road course's are readily(realisticially)available, vs. drag strips? Not to mention drag racing's true herritage comes from the street.

I grew up with Nascar/dirt track/ sprint cars and always enjoyed it, but my true passion was always drag racing. Just something about the one on one competition.... the launch.... the acceleration. There is no substitute-

That's the the correct answer right there. I used to autocross in my previous car; 91 RS and it was fun. But the rush of drag racing is certainly more addictive and something that any auto enthusiast can appreciate.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:57 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

I agree with most^^, it's hard to drive a nascar or indy car to work every day.
Much easier to race your toys at a drag strip and still head over to the local hang out.

When I went in the US Navy, many years ago, I was a die hard roundy round, asphalt guy. I bought a Camaro and starting flying around like an idiot. I didn't want to dent or total my new hot rod at the local street stock races. A buddy said how about taking it to the drag strip. Many years and a long story later, I have 3 drag only cars, and a WS-6 Formula sitting in the shop.

Drag racing has the most members, and participants of any racing style. Not the most fans, (which I don't get) so the forums are going to lean towards the numbers. Other places I've been on are full of nascar nuts, this is more of a hands on forum. We like to participate, not sit on the couch watching every W/E.
Besides, drag racers are smarter!!! I M O

Old 02-18-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is an easy question, Road racing = $$$$$

On a road course, your going to be beating the hell out of your motor non stop, which is 10x harder on your motor than drag racing, you'll be going through tires and brakes, you have to have lots of safety equipment, it's very expensive to race on a circuit and there isnt very many of them.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Per minute of track time, HPDE events are slightly less expensive than drag racing. You just have to buy a bigger chunk at a time.

I wish someone made a decent rear diff that weighed about the same as the 10-bolt. The 10-bolt can hold a lot of power on a road race car (and is often the fuse when you grab second going for fourth), but won't live long at the dragstrip on tires. This is what keeps many from having dual-purpose cars.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:36 PM
Launching!

yes to all of the above. drag racing is cheap and anyone can pick it up. anything can be raced cuz no true race car is required. the cars can be fast, but still streetable. and my side of the story is this... the only way to find out which car is truly faster is to run 'em in a straight line. this is all that really matters to me. the outcomes of the other types of racing are also influenced by driver. but don't get me wrong, i like it all. but i mean, to me there's nothing better than two cars, a straight line, with one goal, to get to the finish line first. it's simple.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

I think the reason road racing isn't a big priority on the forums is that it is too regionally specific. If you tell someone you run the 1/4 in 10sec, they know what you mean. If you tell someone you lapped road atlanta, or willow springs, or nurburgring, or laguna seca in X min and sec, if they aren't familiar with the course, they have no clue how fast that is. How can you be a keyboard commando if no one knows how big you are claiming your dick is? Plus, road course driving inevitably leads to expensive crashes during the learning curve, which some people aren't willing to chance with their DD's.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I really dont like circle stuff in a car. I'd much rather go drag racing. some of it may stem from my teenage street racing days.

It's the exact opposite on bikes though. Straight line racing is boring to me, twisies are fun. I actually sold my 600 and I'm looking for an FZR400 or an aprilia 250CC

Quick Reply: Emphasis on Drag Racing - Why