59.39%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Procharger Vs. Big N20 Motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Procharger Vs. Big N20 Motor

I had ben thinking of doing a D1 procharger at the end of this season but the more I think of how much money ill have in it Im thinking of doing say a 408 with a lot o spray 250+ all I care about is getting down the track..what do you guys think will make me the happiest?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

If its just about getting down the track the n20 will take you there cheeper and easyer. most booted cars take more time and money to do the same thing as a n20 car. but im biased
Old 02-22-2007, 10:00 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Depends what you want to run, faster you go the more it costs either way since you will spending the same amount of $$ on drivetrain, fuel and safety stuff..

Advantage of a FI setup is I have a 'nothing' engine, I have gone 9.40s with a Z06 cam and unported heads with stock pushrods and an LS6 intake and close to 8s with a 222/228 XE cam with stock rockers and 918 springs. The car is even consistant enough to bracket race, little tougher to do that with nitrous.

i dont have to worry about the head and cam of the day, fancy light internal parts, intakes, high RPM and iits realted issues or filling a bottle - ever. Plus if it blows up its cheap to replace..

But if you are just looking to get from point A to pont B as quick and cheap as possible its hard to beat N2O.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nitrous is also alittle more flexible-use of multi stages, progressive setups, etc. But if I was going out to break records I'd go FI.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kp
Depends what you want to run, faster you go the more it costs either way since you will spending the same amount of $$ on drivetrain, fuel and safety stuff..

Advantage of a FI setup is I have a 'nothing' engine, I have gone 9.40s with a Z06 cam and unported heads with stock pushrods and an LS6 intake and close to 8s with a 222/228 XE cam with stock rockers and 918 springs. The car is even consistant enough to bracket race, little tougher to do that with nitrous.

i dont have to worry about the head and cam of the day, fancy light internal parts, intakes, high RPM and iits realted issues or filling a bottle - ever. Plus if it blows up its cheap to replace..

But if you are just looking to get from point A to pont B as quick and cheap as possible its hard to beat N2O.
Just courious(sp) to what you have for RWHP? and are you on pump gas or race gas? Also how many #s of boost? Those times are awesome for nothing crazy being done to the car, but it is awesome make me want to sell the bottle and go FI
Old 02-22-2007, 10:58 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLPSS99
Just courious(sp) to what you have for RWHP? and are you on pump gas or race gas? Also how many #s of boost? Those times are awesome for nothing crazy being done to the car, but it is awesome make me want to sell the bottle and go FI
I dont dyno the car much, calculator says 730rwhp to go 147mph in a 3400lb car so you can go with that if you wish.

Thats on 112 sunoco leaded with 20psi with the F1 on a 75 degree day on a 500' track. Last weekend I ran 9.17 @ 149.81 (couldnt get that 150 lol) with the D1 on a 50 degree day using C-16 but the car only 60 footed like 1.28 or so. Thats through a fairly quiet exhaust also (y-pipe/muffler).

Its not your average car but nothing fancy suspension wise, its NHRA legal andit idles like a stocker. Its a great restricted subdivision freindly race car and still has power stering, brakes, windows, bumper supports and all the stock wiring and could be daily driven without the cage and some comfy seats.

But its really hard to beat nitrous unless you are in it for the long haul..
Old 02-22-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good info, I am looking to drop the bottle because I am tired of filling it!! I will prob have a heathy N/A setup or FI soon
Old 02-22-2007, 07:51 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Decent strong basic bottom end, nothing fancy. Add blower and go as fast as car will handle. Tame it down a little while you add to the car if you have to. No more bottles, heating/cooling bottles, looking for refills at last minute, lines, timers, multi stages ect ect. When you're ready, set to kill and you will be all set, very consistent.

If you don't care how fast, then don't do either, N/A is the most fun, until the ET bug hits you, and you can't stand running the same pass after pass. Good luck.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kp

kp your car is insain!! reading about your car is what got me thinking about FI becouse I still like to drive my car...why did you pick the z06 cam over some of the other FI cams out their? next time im in knoxville id love to see that beast in person
Old 02-27-2007, 11:39 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I dont run the Z06 cam anymore, but I ran it because it was in the motor when I bought the car. I like to get the most I can out of things before I move on to something bigger and I think I got about all I could out of that cam

But really forced induction doesnt need that great of heads cam to work well, of course if you want to run 8s or 7s you need to get into some more radical heads/cam but 10s and 9s doesnt need much. But it does take some time to get everything right with a blower/turbo, where nitrous is pretty much instant gratification
Old 02-27-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kp
I dont run the Z06 cam anymore, but I ran it because it was in the motor when I bought the car. I like to get the most I can out of things before I move on to something bigger and I think I got about all I could out of that cam

But really forced induction doesnt need that great of heads cam to work well, of course if you want to run 8s or 7s you need to get into some more radical heads/cam but 10s and 9s doesnt need much. But it does take some time to get everything right with a blower/turbo, where nitrous is pretty much instant gratification
thanks for the reply..I have ran a 6.85 in the 1/8 so far with stock heads and 342s..I have the PRC stage 2.5 5.3 heads and 4.10 gears now. im going to the track sunday I hope it picks up some im not looking for nothing crazy id love to see some 6.0-6.2s one day i know it wont be soon but owell

Last edited by Ego Killer; 02-28-2007 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It is an Either or deal. That is why I never under stood why people got so upset about N2O use.

It is a pay me now pay me later deal. Kind of.... With a blower you race all season(IF you do not ingest anything) after the car is done. Maybe some Alky to go every week and fuel.

Juice is cheaper in the begining but catches up fast. It cost $4 a Pound here. I take six bottles to the track and that is 12 passes. Each bottle has about 3 Pounds left when done. Not Enough for a full pass. So if I need more I need more bottles I need to pick up six more. so say I use up all six of the ones I have? That is say 40 Pounds Of Juice. I spent $160 On juice for the weekend. Plus fuel.

You can see juice add's up fast. Then again If you run a Blower all season it is always a good Idea to get it rebuilt adding to the cost of owning also

Like I was saying it is a push. Turbo's come in like blowers So again a Push.

Blower wins the 'Cool' factor hands down.
Turbo's kill the Sleeper factor every time.

And juice? Everyone thinks you are cheating and hates you Then again I win more then I should
Old 02-28-2007, 02:02 AM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

neither ...N/a hehe. if youre patient BLOWER hands down. if your not ( like me ) can't beat nitrous.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:54 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv

You can see juice add's up fast. Then again If you run a Blower all season it is always a good Idea to get it rebuilt adding to the cost of owning also

And juice? Everyone thinks you are cheating and hates you Then again I win more then I should
Really dont have to get a blower rebuilt that often, my D1SC is probably 5 years old and has had a lot of street miles plus 100+ passes a year for the last three years and has never been apart. Some of the bigger more high strung blowers may need to be looked at every year but most street blowers are way overbuilt.

But people think you are 'cheating' with a blower and turbo as well. Its pretty universal that if you are faster then someone, whether FI or nitrous or big solid roller n/a, your car is a 'race' car and theirs is a 'street' car lol.

If everyone did the same thing it would be pretty boring, I like seeing fast turbo, blower, nitrous or N/A cars. Once you reach a certain level, low 9s -high 8s, they all end up being about the same PITA anyways. By then you have a race car and the cost of safety equipment, keeping the car running and gettting it to the track is about even between them all..
Old 02-28-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

D1sc and you will never be sorry.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:56 AM
10 Second Club

After putting a ATI blower THROUGH a new engine in 1999 I feel it is just safer to get it done
Old 03-01-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

For me at least blowers seem to be a lil more stable, more easy to control, you have a constant load on the engine with a blower, the worst thing for engines is peddling, rattling the pistons, I think you'll do that more with nitrous than you will a well set-up blower or turbo.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:42 PM
10 Second Club

Go F/I and never look back.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:34 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
After putting a ATI blower THROUGH a new engine in 1999 I feel it is just safer to get it done
I once broke my toe walking up stairs, that doesnt mean I dont walk up stairs anymore I had a SQ vortech implode but I went and put the same one back on and had zero issues as well as the person I sold it to - can get a bad anything but exploding after a year certainly isnt the norm for a centrifugal supercharger..
Old 03-03-2007, 11:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
I once broke my toe walking up stairs, that doesnt mean I dont walk up stairs anymore I had a SQ vortech implode but I went and put the same one back on and had zero issues as well as the person I sold it to - can get a bad anything but exploding after a year certainly isnt the norm for a centrifugal supercharger..

At the time it was me and like a dozen other people Because I was pushing 14Psi Ati was not very helpfull. They did offer to sell me a new blower though

I Under stand things change and products get better but that explosion cost me around 12k in money I did not have to waste It was way cool do not get me wrong but the marks it left lingered long after it was gone.

One of our customers runs a D1SC. He had to have it done twice last year. Things happen. It is the cost you pay. I am used to it and choose my weapons accordinging.

I would run a blower again I just expect upkeep as with any thing As "I" Posted Blowers win the 'Cool' facter hands down